Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-05-22, 12:58 PM
Regular User

I think B/R's "voip" is not the same as voip as of voip.ms, etc. B/R's "voip" has their dedicated logical channel, i.e. the activity of your Internet does not affect it. Their reliability is equivalent to landline.
Old 2015-05-22, 01:03 PM
Regular User

VOIP is not inherently worse than POTS, it will all depend on the compression settings they use to optimize bandwidth for voice traffic. There's good and bad.

That said, I've just switched my own home phone to Fido's home phone system, which uses the Fido/Rogers cell network. I pay $15/month on top of my existing cell phone plan.
Old 2015-05-22, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Public internet voip is not the same as something Rogers and Bell.

As mentioned above, Rogers and Bell use dedicated networks for their VOIP service. They do not use the internet, but their own private network that they can regulate traffic over to guarantee service levels for important things such as latency and bandwidth.

Public internet voip services such as voip.ms, ooma, whatever, will always be subject to what is between your voip box and their service hub. None of these things they have control over.

We never ever recommend public voip services for our clients for alarm services. We will not connect an alarm system to a public voip service. They are unreliable for communication of alarm signals usually because of compression issues. These voip services save money by compressing your voice traffic. This compression does not work so well with data and CNG (the hissing noise) or even DTMF (touch tones) traffic.

In those cases we recommend a cellular communicator first and then an internet communicator that uses IP.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2015-05-24, 03:13 PM
Regular User

No prob here on teksavvy voip as they're on Rogers cable network.

Works perfectly with traditional home alarm system and we test regularly with monitoring company.