Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-09-11, 12:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Looks good!

Your wall looks about the same size as the one I am going to do. How many square feet of stone did you buy?

I'm only asking, because as I mentioned previously, I'm getting some high end stone, and the retail cost is only $12.00 a square foot from the place I'm buying it from. That's only $542 for 40 square feet of stone. Even at $20/square foot, you're still less than $1000 for the stone. Were those cabinets and mortar worth $1500???
I'm not sure. I think it's about 6 feet x 10 feet so 60ish? Not sure what I paid per square foot. Add in mortar and cement board as well as a some framing for the fireplace (I ripped out the old one). Also, the mantle was about $100 plus I stained it. I am also including the TV mount (not the TV though). The cabinets are not cheap when you add them all up. Probably ~$1300 in cabinets there. It all adds up.
Old 2015-09-11, 02:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
I'm not sure. I think it's about 6 feet x 10 feet so 60ish? Not sure what I paid per square foot. Add in mortar and cement board as well as a some framing for the fireplace (I ripped out the old one). Also, the mantle was about $100 plus I stained it. I am also including the TV mount (not the TV though). The cabinets are not cheap when you add them all up. Probably ~$1300 in cabinets there. It all adds up.
Ah okay...This makes more sense then. I didn't realize you ripped everything out and started from scratch with that area.

Old 2015-09-11, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Ah okay...This makes more sense then. I didn't realize you ripped everything out and started from scratch with that area.
yep. the only thing left was the fireplace insert when I started.
Old 2015-09-11, 11:45 PM
Regular User

I just did my fire place in the same stone as JeffJC and love the look. Its 9 feet high, about 6 feet wide and comes out about a foot away from the wall. There is no way in heck any contractor would be able to do a proper job on that 2 story fireplace for $1000 and make any money. I'd estimate a good competent contractor would charge somewhere around $2500-$3500 for labour and materials for a 2 story fireplace like that.

I had the cement board and custom framing done when I built the house and the stone cost me about $350. It took me 4 days to finish the fireplace but I took my time including mitering all the corners which is the only way to go. I'd estimate with glue, the cement board, reinforced framing, the materials alone would have been close to $600 not including any labour and the fireplace is only 9 feet high.

Please get a few other quotes and save yourself some headaches in the long run. Cheers!
Old 2015-09-12, 04:45 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the info appreciate the tips from people who have done similar work. I've actually got a number of quotes now, one from a home inspector in my neighbourhood who does small to medium sized handyman jobs for close to $1000. I also posted the project on the bidmyreno website and have several bids between $1000 and $1500, along with some overpriced bids over $5000.

Most are saying 2 to 3 days for the job and about $600 for labour, so yes I suspect it'll creep past $1000, but if I can find a good price/sale on materials (I'm in no rush) I think I can keep it under $1600, but I could be wrong for sure.

And FTR the room is not quite two stories, it's between upper and lower level of side split house and is about 12, maybe 14 ft high.