Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-08, 10:03 PM
Regular User

Dehumidification systems are a must for indoor pools. Another operating cost..
Old 2018-11-09, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I have several clients with indoor pools.
I do not recommend it unless you have lots of money to spend.
As mentioned above, you require humidity management, usually done with a product called Dryatron. These are not inexpensive to operate as they are specialized air-conditioners.
You have to run a pool motor constantly and a Dryatron constantly.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2018-11-09, 01:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
You have to run a pool motor constantly and a Dryatron constantly.
Greg, why would you have to run the pool pump constantly? Is it different from an outdoor pool?
Old 2018-11-09, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Greg, why would you have to run the pool pump constantly? Is it different from an outdoor pool?
I just know every time I am in the equipment area (usually for many hours at a time) the pool pumps never ever stop. This is at 3 different houses. Houses are also valued $3M and up.. so maybe they don't care?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2018-11-09, 02:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I just know every time I am in the equipment area (usually for many hours at a time) the pool pumps never ever stop. This is at 3 different houses. Houses are also valued $3M and up.. so maybe they don't care?
For most homeowners turning over the water once per day is what is required. And for most pools that means running your pump for between 6 and 10 hours. You might want to run it a bit more if you are getting really heavy use out of the pool (for a party) but for most people anything more that 12 hours is overkill and a waste. If you have a variable speed pump, or a dual speed pump you can adjust those times based on how long you run it at each speed but you should make sure you turn over the water once per day.

With time of use rates for electricity in Ontario running your pump at night can save you quite a bit and allow you to limit how much you use it during the expensive daylight hours. But like you said, maybe saving a few dollars isn't important to those home owners.
Old 2018-11-09, 03:18 PM
Regular User

I would disagree that anything over 12hrs is a waste RE: pool pump management.

Stale chemicals, stained liners with stagnant chemicals not moving, etc. are all reasons to keep the water flowing, even at a very low speed if running a variable.

Yes it will cost more, but if running a decent variable pump, we're talking a few dollars per month extra for the added 12hrs per day, at the correct low speed.
Old 2018-11-09, 05:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
I would disagree that anything over 12hrs is a waste RE: pool pump management.

Stale chemicals, stained liners with stagnant chemicals not moving, etc. are all reasons to keep the water flowing, even at a very low speed if running a variable.

Yes it will cost more, but if running a decent variable pump, we're talking a few dollars per month extra for the added 12hrs per day, at the correct low speed.
As I said, if you have the ability to run at a lower speed then you will adjust the timing accordingly.

And what exactly are stale chemicals? And I'm not quite sure how stagnant chemicals will stain your liner (where do the stagnant chemicals come from), or at least how running your pump at low speed will fix that. I'm curious now....
Old 2018-11-09, 11:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
As I said, if you have the ability to run at a lower speed then you will adjust the timing accordingly.

And what exactly are stale chemicals? And I'm not quite sure how stagnant chemicals will stain your liner (where do the stagnant chemicals come from), or at least how running your pump at low speed will fix that. I'm curious now....
Chemicals like pool shock, PH minus (-), calcium additives and chlorine pucks can fade a liner if they are sitting on the surface for prolonged period, however, can be avoided with a constantly running pump (regardless of speed).
Old 2018-11-10, 09:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Chemicals like pool shock, PH minus (-), calcium additives and chlorine pucks can fade a liner if they are sitting on the surface for prolonged period, however, can be avoided with a constantly running pump (regardless of speed).
You are right that the pump should be kept running when you add most chemicals. But for the most part though, adding chemicals is fairly rare, especially with a salt water system. Most chemicals should be mixed with water before adding them and once added they all mix with the pool water quite quickly. No need to keep the pump running for that.

The exceptions that I can think of are adding salt, where you should keep your pump running for 24 hours with your chlorine generator turned off, and cyanuric acid (stabilizer) which can take a while to dissolve. When you add shock you should probably keep your pump going for a while also. But all of these only need to be added rarely. Salt and cyanuric acid maybe once or twice a year depending on how much rain we get. Shock shouldnt be needed too often either if you keep your chlorine levels in the correct range.

So, at the beginning of the year, when you most often use these chemicals, I agree that you can benefit from running your pump all the time. But after a few days and once things are balanced, you really are running your pump for no real benefit if you run it more than what is required to turn over the water in your pool once per day. Just make sure that you are keeping your chlorine levels at the correct levels. Adjust your salt water generator appropriately if you adjust the number of hours that you run your pump. If you aren't comfortable with that then by all means run it 24/7.
Old 2018-11-11, 10:24 PM
Regular User

:thumbsup: logic