Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2018-11-20, 07:25 PM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 95
Default

^ all good points.

Once all 3 phases of the move is complete, there is another major $1.1B capital project on the horizon to build an additional campus that will house an additional 4,000-5,000 employees. The secondary campus will centralize intelligence and operations command together (SJS, CFINTCOM, CJOC).

More high paying jobs coming to the West end.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...o-800m-complex

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-11-20 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2018-11-21, 11:41 AM
eastendguy eastendguy is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Clarence-Rockland, ON
Posts: 201
Default

I think the info given here is accurate (stats, reasons why Kanata is a hot spot right now etc). Thanks everyone.

I wonder if the LRT will be enough to get people moving this spring and out of the sit back and pay the mortgage mode. People seem more reactive than proactive. For example, they install their winter tires after the first snow (instead of before). That's why I think not many people have been moving this past year... waiting on the LRT to become a reality instead of just a concept.

Now, this has got me thinking. A simple gvt agency moving their office is enough to influence the real estate market and cause homes to sell for 50k++++ above asking.... I need to make friends with these people that make these decisions to know beforehand. I could cash in on it... Just kidding... that would be illegal ... or would it... lol

Hopefully teleworking will be cause a shift and make it so that people are more interested in remote places rather than prioritize being close to work. The commute to work seems to be a big factor in the decision people make (can't blame them, especially if they must report to work 5 days per week).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2018-11-21, 01:08 PM
gerapau's Avatar
gerapau gerapau is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
1. Higher average household income than Barrhaven or Orleans
2. Kanata has (1) more jobs and (2) higher paying jobs than Barrhaven or Orleans
3. Kanata has more higher ranked high schools than Barrhaven and Orleans

Been living in Kanata since 1999 and was attending grade 4 back then lol. The schools here are very good. Now both my wife and I work at DND where Nortel used to be and it's a 10 minute commute.
This would all make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the average home price in Barrhaven is currently higher than Kanata and has risen almost twice as much in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
I think the info given here is accurate (stats, reasons why Kanata is a hot spot right now etc). Thanks everyone.

I wonder if the LRT will be enough to get people moving this spring and out of the sit back and pay the mortgage mode. People seem more reactive than proactive. For example, they install their winter tires after the first snow (instead of before). That's why I think not many people have been moving this past year... waiting on the LRT to become a reality instead of just a concept.

Now, this has got me thinking. A simple gvt agency moving their office is enough to influence the real estate market and cause homes to sell for 50k++++ above asking.... I need to make friends with these people that make these decisions to know beforehand. I could cash in on it... Just kidding... that would be illegal ... or would it... lol

Hopefully teleworking will be cause a shift and make it so that people are more interested in remote places rather than prioritize being close to work. The commute to work seems to be a big factor in the decision people make (can't blame them, especially if they must report to work 5 days per week).
I think you will find that townhome selling for $50K more than asking is an outlier (where in Kanata was it). I wouldn't expect many to sell like that and would question why the agent under appraised it by so much. And while it's possible that the new DND campus did affect that price it is probably one of many factors that caused that townhome to sell at that price.

Keep in mind that LRT2 to the west end (as far as Moodie) will not be realized until 2023 (if they are actually on time this time). To me the current LRT is more of a pain because where you used to be able to take one bus to downtown, now you have to transfer from the bus to the LRT to get to downtown. But they have to start somewhere. Also, LRT will actually make it to Orleans long before Kanata or Barrhaven. Is is currently scheduled to go as far as Trim road by 2022. Whereas I don't think there is any current solid plan to actually go as far as Kanata or Barrhaven.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2018-11-21, 04:22 PM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
This would all make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the average home price in Barrhaven is currently higher than Kanata and has risen almost twice as much in the last year.
I like to take a bigger sample than just 10 months. YoY between 2013-2017, Kanata has been ahead of Barrhaven. The year entire year ending December 2018, it could be that Barrhaven takes a slight lead.

If you look at the historical data dating back to 2000 on that website, Kanata and Barrhaven tends to trade back and forth in terms of who is in the lead.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2018-11-21, 05:27 PM
gerapau's Avatar
gerapau gerapau is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
I like to take a bigger sample than just 10 months. YoY between 2013-2017, Kanata has been ahead of Barrhaven. The year entire year ending December 2018, it could be that Barrhaven takes a slight lead.

If you look at the historical data dating back to 2000 on that website, Kanata and Barrhaven tends to trade back and forth in terms of who is in the lead.
Well, if the original poster was asking why prices were higher in Kanata in 2016 then that would make sense. Or, if you want to go back in time and sell your house a few years ago, then sure, look at average prices then. But if you are looking at buying or selling today, then the best indicator is homes that have sold recently. No?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2018-11-21, 06:18 PM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Well, if the original poster was asking why prices were higher in Kanata in 2016 then that would make sense. Or, if you want to go back in time and sell your house a few years ago, then sure, look at average prices then. But if you are looking at buying or selling today, then the best indicator is homes that have sold recently. No?
Did the poster ask why prices in Kanata are higher than prices in barrhaven? No, he asked why prices are so high in Kanata. Read his first post again.

In my original response, did I claim that kanata prices are higher than barrhaven? Nope. I gave 3 reasons why prices in Kanata are high. I never claimed kanata house prices where higher than surburb X, I only claimed kanata has more jobs,
higher income, and better schools than suburb X.

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-11-21 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2018-11-21, 06:28 PM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
This would all make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the average home price in Barrhaven is currently higher than Kanata and has risen almost twice as much in the last year.
Also, claiming that barrhaven houses are more expensive than kanata houses is inaccurate. Kanata houses are over 10% more expensive than Barrhaven houses.

"Among the districts reporting the biggest gains in house prices were Barrhaven (up 9.9 per cent to nearly $400,000), Stittsville (up 9.4 per cent to $483,200), Kanata (up 9.1 per cent to $445,500)."

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-the-periphery

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-11-21 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2018-11-21, 08:44 PM
gerapau's Avatar
gerapau gerapau is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Did the poster ask why prices in Kanata are higher than prices in barrhaven? No, he asked why prices are so high in Kanata. Read his first post again.

In my original response, did I claim that kanata prices are higher than barrhaven? Nope. I gave 3 reasons why prices in Kanata are high. I never claimed kanata house prices where higher than surburb X, I only claimed kanata has more jobs,
higher income, and better schools than suburb X.
Of course you implied prices were higher in Kanata. Otherwise your statements made no sense whatsoever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Also, claiming that barrhaven houses are more expensive than kanata houses is inaccurate. Kanata houses are over 10% more expensive than Barrhaven houses.

"Among the districts reporting the biggest gains in house prices were Barrhaven (up 9.9 per cent to nearly $400,000), Stittsville (up 9.4 per cent to $483,200), Kanata (up 9.1 per cent to $445,500)."

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-the-periphery
August vs October data. I have to assume the link I provided is accurate but I don't work in real estate so I can't confirm the numbers. That said, really, unless you can compare two identical homes it really is tough to know. You could look to see if any builders are building the same homes and compare (Mattamy maybe?). But even then builders will have different standards from one location to the next.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2018-11-21, 09:42 PM
electricsky electricsky is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
August vs October data. I have to assume the link I provided is accurate but I don't work in real estate so I can't confirm the numbers.
If you want to talk about October stats, here you go. https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...tum-is-cooling

Barrhaven is at $400,400 as of October up — up 8.3% YoY.
Stittsville at $491,600 as of October — up 8.6% YoY

The article doesn't mention Kanata prices but do you believe that Kanata prices fell 11% from August to October (in two months)?

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-11-21 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2018-11-21, 10:33 PM
gerapau's Avatar
gerapau gerapau is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
If you want to talk about October stats, here you go. https://ottawacitizen.com/business/l...tum-is-cooling

Barrhaven is at $400,400 as of October up — up 8.3% YoY.
Stittsville at $491,600 as of October — up 8.6% YoY

The article doesn't mention Kanata prices but do you believe that Kanata prices fell 11% from August to October (in two months)?
I'll leave it to you to contact both sites to see where the discrepancy comes from.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride from Kanata South to Kanata North LeoMessi Ottawa 2 2015-01-05 01:23 PM
Kanata Townhouse Jer in Ottawa Ottawa Area Houses For Sale 0 2013-03-15 12:48 PM
Lowe's in Kanata hodabfly Ottawa 22 2011-03-29 07:22 PM
Vet in kanata/stittsville? Mike83 Ottawa 10 2009-03-19 11:46 AM
Home in Kanata nasauti Ottawa 7 2008-06-15 08:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.