Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-07, 11:59 AM
Regular User

YAY a dog!!

We have three kids, ages 8, 5 and very close to 2. We have 2 cats, but no dogs.

I know at least one other in this thread has a couple of younger children.

Well, I know one other that has three kids, ages 8, 5 and very close to 2. But he'll be living in the same house as me, lol.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-06-07, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson86 View Post
We are so excited, we signed yesterday, tentative closing date is April 20, 2010. We chose the Davidson floor plan (first of this style in the community), four bedroom with loft, end unit elevation 2. was comparable to the Lincoln which was our first choice but as was noted in earlier threads, 40,000.00 less.
Congratulations!

What is it about the Davidson that you liked versus the other connected singles? It's a bit more closed or defined, right? Edit: I looked and I was thinking of the Fergus. The Davidson is pretty open. We considered it ourselves, and even went to Jackson Trails to view one of the semis that had a similar layout on the main level to try and visualize it. Ultimately, we decided we wanted the Ellis' living/dining space so that we could accommodate large family gatherings by expanding our table into the living room space. Love the study with french doors on your main floor too!! I also like the exterior elevations.

Also, if your handle gives you away, why did you choose the lot right on the end, closest to the thru street (Cope)? Was it for the extra lot space, or perhaps the quick exit?

We also chose an elevation 2! Love it so far (we've got stone up now).

Soho West - Kanata

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2009-06-07 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2009-06-07, 01:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
YAY a dog!!

We have three kids, ages 8, 5 and very close to 2. We have 2 cats, but no dogs.

I know at least one other in this thread has a couple of younger children.

Well, I know one other that has three kids, ages 8, 5 and very close to 2. But he'll be living in the same house as me, lol.
That sounds like a combined 6 kids! What are we, the Brady Bunch?
Old 2009-06-07, 07:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianapex View Post
Just wondering if anyone moving into SohoWest have children and/or pets?

We are child-free at this time...although we plan on raising our first children as Sohowesterners..

We do have a 9 month old female English Bulldog
Kid is all grown up and 4000 km away, so we'll be the old farts on the end of the block.
Old 2009-06-07, 07:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
What is it about the Davidson that you liked versus the other connected singles? Love the study with french doors on your main floor too!! I also like the exterior elevations.

Also, if your handle gives you away, why did you choose the lot right on the end, closest to the thru street (Cope)? Was it for the extra lot space, or perhaps the quick exit?

We also chose an elevation 2! Love it so far (we've got stone up now).
Thanks! Mmmm, let's see:

First, we liked the layout of the basement and main floor. The basement has a lot of potential for a dedicated audio/home theatre room. The connectivity of the great room, kitchen, and dining area on the main floor is a plus for entertaining. And the study of course.

We waffled on the idea of the Carlan with its mud room however, the ensuite bathroom and walk-in closet suffered in the four-bedroom configuration. Having accumulated so much stuff over the years - four bedrooms was a must.

The missus wanted a large yard so she could garden, entertain, and be greedy. Ha ha. Apparently this particular elevation affords us a half-wall of stone on the Cope street side. Bonus!
Old 2009-06-07, 08:23 PM
Regular User

Yeah, I really like the basement on the Davidson too! Did you benefit from the free finished basement deal that just started recently?

Soho West - Kanata

Old 2009-06-07, 08:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Yeah, I really like the basement on the Davidson too! Did you benefit from the free finished basement deal that just started recently?
Where did you hear about this deal? We have ordered a finished basement on our Carlan model and hope that we would get compensated for it...

Any idea?
Old 2009-06-07, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Yes. But remember, they took away the Design Centre bonus...
Old 2009-06-07, 09:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianapex View Post
Where did you hear about this deal? We have ordered a finished basement on our Carlan model and hope that we would get compensated for it...

Any idea?
The new deal was unveiled on Friday, May 20th before the BBQ.
Old 2009-06-07, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Yeah, if you signed before the deal, you won't get it necessarily. I suppose you could always ask! Did you get a design centre bonus? Maybe you could ask to trade it in. I know the bonus was $5000 earlier, and a finished basement is more than three times that.

We paid for our finished basement, and even though they're offering the free basement now, we know we won't get that money back. Thankfully we paid less than the current price for the basement, and the house, so we end up even now (with design centre bonus and old house/basement price).

I've heard the deal runs until the end of June only.

Soho West - Kanata

Last edited by noordinaryotter; 2009-06-07 at 09:41 PM.