Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-05-28, 10:06 PM
Regular User

I haben't figured out the ticket thing yet...lol

We close approx May 2011...long ways away!
Old 2010-06-07, 10:24 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb To Potlight, or not to Potlight... that is the question.

So it seems like a pretty silly question, but I'd like some feedback style-wise for the following idea.
So we are finalizing our pre-con for our Beckwith, and because there are so many beautiful things we want in "colour appt", we've had to let go of some of the pre-con. Namely, potlights. I read in Style at Home mag this month, that I could do a ceiling fixture, and then under-cab lighting. We really love the idea and use of under-cab lighting - maybe even more than potlights. So we have two options:

1. Do 6 potlights in the kitchen, and a hanging fixture/lantern style over the eating table, or,
2. No potlights (other than the included one over the sink), a beautiful fixture in the kitchen area and 5 under cabinet lights. The fixture in the working area and the eating area would likely be the Sussex line from Hinkley.

I know people will chime in and say that I can add pots or under cab after the fact, but we're not really into that (potlights, okay; but under cabinet would drive me nuts if I saw wires, low voltage transformer etc).

Also, drum lighting in the kitchen... bad idea because it's fabric?? I've seen fabric in kitchens before.

Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sussex Drum 4791BN.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	6272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sussex hanging 4794BN.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	6273  

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2010-06-07 at 10:29 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 2010-06-07, 10:35 PM
Regular User

We re going to skip on most of the pot lights in the kitchen and add a light fixture in the middle of the kitchen and 2 pot light over the eating counter, and the fixture over the table. This allows us to put four puck light under the cabinet. A let take away and a little put back.

As for the fabic....may get dirty with years of grease/cooking but you may be able to find "looks like fabric" lights.
Old 2010-06-07, 11:07 PM
Regular User

Fabric wouldn't work for me since I fry so often (almost every day), I'm sure I would have those turning colour within a month if not sooner.

I have potlights and then the hanging pendant light for my new kitchen. Luckily, Urbandale gives under-cabinet valance lighting free so I didn't have to think about that I prefer the potlights but it all depends on the effect you're going for.
Old 2010-06-07, 11:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball View Post
Urbandale gives under-cabinet valance lighting free so I didn't have to think about that
Free?? They charged me $750 5 years ago! My, how things have changed...
Old 2010-06-07, 11:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKMAN1 View Post
We re going to skip on most of the pot lights in the kitchen and add a light fixture in the middle of the kitchen and 2 pot light over the eating counter, and the fixture over the table. This allows us to put four puck light under the cabinet. A let take away and a little put back.
I'm the same with take away/put back LOL... Good point re: eating counter. We are thinking of deleting the eating bar lip, so our table space will be larger...
Old 2010-06-07, 11:45 PM
Regular User

We are just doing the 3 puck lighting under the cabinets plus the included potlight above the sink with a capped light in kitchen..Plus one cap over the breakfast bar.. To many potlights seem to me like a show home than a comfortable home.. This is only my opinion tho..

Old 2010-06-08, 09:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
So it seems like a pretty silly question, but I'd like some feedback style-wise for the following idea.
So we are finalizing our pre-con for our Beckwith, and because there are so many beautiful things we want in "colour appt", we've had to let go of some of the pre-con. Namely, potlights. I read in Style at Home mag this month, that I could do a ceiling fixture, and then under-cab lighting. We really love the idea and use of under-cab lighting - maybe even more than potlights. So we have two options:

1. Do 6 potlights in the kitchen, and a hanging fixture/lantern style over the eating table, or,
2. No potlights (other than the included one over the sink), a beautiful fixture in the kitchen area and 5 under cabinet lights. The fixture in the working area and the eating area would likely be the Sussex line from Hinkley.

I know people will chime in and say that I can add pots or under cab after the fact, but we're not really into that (potlights, okay; but under cabinet would drive me nuts if I saw wires, low voltage transformer etc).

Also, drum lighting in the kitchen... bad idea because it's fabric?? I've seen fabric in kitchens before.

Thoughts??
We did potlights over the eating bar and add 4 other in the kitchen...also we are doing a nice fixture in the middle. I'm having a PDI next week and will take a picture of my kitchen, and send it to you after.
Old 2010-06-08, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Cosmogirl

What you can do is what I did, where you know you want pot light, get the builder to put a switch and one pot light where you want it of course.

Then hire a electrician afterward and have him add the other pot lights in that room that you already put the extra switch and the one pot light. All the electrician has to due is connect to the one pot light.

Tartan homes straps their ceilings so its easier and less of a mess to install after you take possession saving you a ton of money. And you can pay for it at your convenience
Old 2010-06-08, 01:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiks View Post

Tartan homes straps their ceilings so its easier and less of a mess to install after you take possession saving you a ton of money. And you can pay for it at your convenience
perfect! I'm happy to hear that - thanks!