Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-04-01, 01:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post
Well, all I'm doing is posting pictures of the finishings. I don't see what the problem is with that, I OWN this house, if I want to post pictures of my baseboards, I don't see what the problem is, or how anyone could be in "legal" trouble for doing so.

Speaking of which, From everyone's experience, can you please tell me if the following pictures are warrantable items under the TARION guidelines, they are very gray, and I'd like some advice.

Thanks,

1) Baseboards with excess caulking
2) Severely bowed studs in unfinished basement areas

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/img0186y.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/img0177wp.jpg/
Yes the caulking issue is pretty poor and those studs could be better, but are these the issues you're upset about or are there others? And has your builder refused to repair these? What steps have you taken so far to get these resolved...let's get the full picture first and go from there.
Old 2012-04-01, 05:44 AM
Regular User

re the studs - while not visually appealing there is no structural concern. If you wished, you could use a piece of strapping, or some 2x4 pieces in between, and set them plumb. Or wait until you drywall the bathroom and push them straight before screwing.

re the baseboard and shoe molding - yes that is very poor workmanship and any builder I have ever dealt with would send the trade back to clean it up. The root cause is that the two pieces are not cut properly to fit the corner, and the bb is sitting low in the front. Ask them to fix the low baseboard and the caulking will need to be redone

Last edited by good2know; 2012-04-01 at 05:50 AM.
Old 2012-04-01, 08:45 AM
Regular User

That caulking is even worst than mine They should re-do it.
Old 2012-04-01, 09:29 AM
Regular User

Crappy job on the baseboards.

Don't worry. The inferior Ottawa housing bubble will come to an end at some point in time forcing these piss poor trades out of a job. Maybe then they will value the work/contracts they have and do the jobs right.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:29 PM
Regular User

JB Nimble - Trust me, I know... I worked in construction, and I've done baseboards, crown molding, and framing (amongst everything else).

It's like everywhereI look, I see a COMPLETE lack of care, and any pride in workmanship. It's all about money, and getting the heck out of there as fast as possible.

Guys, FYI, I'm not even at my 30 day, so this is NOT A BUILDER bashing, it is simply to educate folks, for them, not me.
Old 2012-04-01, 12:44 PM
Regular User

master0068 i'm old, and my grandfather would have a fit if he saw how houses are built now

but really, these are two pretty minor things

based on the rough in, this is a Tartan? based on our experiences they will fix the molding and even the studs if you feel that is necessary as part of the 30 day items

you are long way from needing any Tarion involment
Old 2012-04-01, 12:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderson View Post
if people expected the same level of professional from everyone, regardless of choosen career that we hold physicians and police officers accountable too, we would all be much better off.
how about politicians too?
Old 2012-04-01, 01:23 PM
Regular User

They might be minor, but they look like sh!@. Seriously, I would feel it a waste of my time to do a pdi to look at that. A buyer shouldn't have to look at that. It's obviously unacceptable. Is there no inspection by the builder prior to the pdi? I mean come on, these houses are not cheap, and please don't try to convince me their profit margins don't support better quality workmanship than that!

*shudder*

Seriously, that's what I would expect it to look like if I were to do it considering I've never done it before!

I hope I don't have to deal with that! I'll get back to you in august!
Old 2012-04-01, 01:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyNeighbour View Post
They might be minor, but they look like sh!@. Seriously, I would feel it a waste of my time to do a pdi to look at that. A buyer shouldn't have to look at that. It's obviously unacceptable. Is there no inspection by the builder prior to the pdi? I mean come on, these houses are not cheap, and please don't try to convince me their profit margins don't support better quality workmanship than that!

*shudder*

Seriously, that's what I would expect it to look like if I were to do it considering I've never done it before!

I hope I don't have to deal with that! I'll get back to you in august!
Yes, exactly. I felt like my PDI was a complete waste of my time, I shouldn't have to tell them to fix things like that, and when I'm at PDI someone should have already addressed all of those issues if they exist (which they shouldn't). Like you said these houses aren't cheap, and even if they were, this is the work of someone whose never done baseboards before (or doesn't care), either way, it's up to the builder to review the work, and have the work redone if it's subpar, I mean, they are paying for that work too, and it's their reputation on the line.

To make matters worse, after I tell them to fix the baseboards at the PDI, this is what I'm left with... If you're going todeliver with work like this, then at least fix it properly once the buyer has identified, and is educated enough to know what is proper/improper work, don't insult him/her by half assing the fix.

Last edited by master0068; 2012-04-01 at 01:45 PM.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:47 PM
Regular User

Is this one of those 400k+ connected singles off Eagleson?