Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-06-14, 11:45 AM
Regular User

We have HW in the kitchen now and it's nice! Would I swap to ceramic for the next house? Maybe...but for no particular reason.

HW looks nicer but ceramic is a little more functional in my eyes.
Old 2012-06-14, 02:30 PM
Regular User

it's nice to see many people like hw. for us, we already have kitchen cupboards/sink installed on top of this ceramic.. we don't know how difficult to remove everything and do hw ..then put back the cupboards... we right now have both kitchen and breakfast as ceramic.. which we want to replace with hw. We see it's easy to do the breakfast area since there's nothing.
Old 2012-06-15, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Prices have been posted. RIDICULOUS! Models have gone up almost 40k which is a bit much if you ask me. They better be including ceramic because 7' deeper lots do not equate to a 25k increase over the normal inflation amount (they said they usually increase about 7-15k each time). Pffft!
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old 2012-06-15, 02:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeshoppin View Post
Prices have been posted. RIDICULOUS! Models have gone up almost 40k which is a bit much if you ask me. They better be including ceramic because 7' deeper lots do not equate to a 25k increase over the normal inflation amount (they said they usually increase about 7-15k each time). Pffft!
So I just called...lol...carpet everywhere and ceramic in the wet areas included - that's it.

I expected a steep jump as HMB is more of a desirable area than their new Kanata community.

Old 2012-06-15, 02:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost_Home View Post
So I just called...lol...carpet everywhere and ceramic in the wet areas included - that's it.

I expected a steep jump as HMB is more of a desirable area than their new Kanata community.
You're awesome for calling. LOL. OK ceramic is included, all is OK in the world again. I can breathe. I was going to go ape**** for second....

Old 2012-06-15, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
You're awesome for calling. LOL. OK ceramic is included, all is OK in the world again. I can breathe. I was going to go ape**** for second....
lol - well the standard level will be included....if you pick another level you don't pay the difference you pay the whole amount which is stupid but it's always been like that.

Old 2012-06-15, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost_Home View Post
lol - well the standard level will be included....if you pick another level you don't pay the difference you pay the whole amount which is stupid but it's always been like that.
what you have to pay the whole difference? That's completely ridiculous. Where do these guys get their numbers from? Standard it is then... :S

Old 2012-06-16, 11:14 PM
Regular User

How was the sale office today? Was there a lot of ppl? Did they offer any extras? I wish i could've been there but i'm out of town.
Old 2012-06-17, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Sales office was a zoo! We showed up at 8:15 am and another couple had been there taking turns for hours. They were super nice and we came out with new friends/neighbours. We were second in line and another young couple showed up shortly afterwards around 8:45 or so.

Some people came and left and then the line followed all the way down the ramp by 11am. The salesman came out before 11 and we all picked our lots and models so by the time the place opened at 11 our paperwork was ready and we signed as a group. We go back in the next week or two and finalize some things.

No good incentives, really. Only the usual 5k off base price or towards the D/C. The standards now include decora switches, melamine shelving instead of wire shelving, ceramic in all wet areas (standard), ducting sized for future A/C and lifetime shingles (this surprised me!). They are also all Energy Star rated but that's not new for HMB.

What surprised us was that the lot premium for our lot was actually very reasonable! We expected it to be over 10k and it was only 5k so we jumped on the pie shaped lot. It might look a little small/weird in the front but our backyard will be 56 feet wide so that makes up for it!

I found it strange that the other lots on the steet (PondHawk Way) all had premiums of 2k for no reason except it's a "quiet street". So taking the pie shaped lot was a no brainer for only 3k more. We do get stuck with a sidewalk though. Meh. Not thrilled but also not the end of the world. I think the PSA said the city property was 2.9 M which is huge so maybe we'll be very far set back?

Not sure about utility boxes. Fingers crossed!

Closing dates are FAR away though. Ours is the longest one which sucks but it just gives us more time to save up.

Whohoo!!!

Last edited by homeshoppin; 2012-06-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 2012-06-17, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Sales office was a zoo! We showed up at 8:15 am and another couple had been there taking turns for hours. They were super nice and we came out with new friends/neighbours. We were second in line and another young couple showed up shortly afterwards around 8:45 or so.

Some people came and left and then the line followed all the way down the ramp by 11am. The salesman came out before 11 and we all picked our lots and models so by the time the place opened at 11 our paperwork was ready and we signed as a group. We go back in the next week or two and finalize some things.

No good incentives, really. Only the usual 5k off base price or towards the D/C. The standards now include decora switches, melamine shelving instead of wire shelving, ceramic in all wet areas (standard), ducting sized for future A/C and lifetime shingles (this surprised me!). They are also all Energy Star rated but that's not new for HMB.

What surprised us was that the lot premium for our lot was actually very reasonable! We expected it to be over 10k and it was only 5k so we jumped on the pie shaped lot. It might look a little small/weird in the front but our backyard will be 56 feet wide so that makes up for it!

I found it strange that the other lots on the steet (PondHawk Way) all had premiums of 2k for no reason except it's a "quiet street". So taking the pie shaped lot was a no brainer for only 3k more. We do get stuck with a sidewalk though. Meh. Not thrilled but also not the end of the world. I think the PSA said the city property was 2.9 M which is huge so maybe we'll be very far set back?

Not sure about utility boxes. Fingers crossed!

Closing dates are FAR away though. Ours is the longest one which sucks but it just gives us more time to save up.

Whohoo!!!
Thanks for your update!!!
As if they charge a premium for a quiet street. Soooo glad you got a good lot. Way to get the most land for your bucks!!
So they released all of their lots? -it wasn't like in sections?
My bf and I are just first time home buyers so we're going small, a 2 storey townhouse. Hopefully there's still lots of lot option left.