Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-08-13, 12:16 AM
Regular User

Default Bell FIBE - worth it?

Anyone have experiences with Fibe? I keep seeing these 1/5 and 10/25 (or something like it) options for Internet speeds, but I have no clue what I need and what's worth it. The slower bundle pricing seems reasonable at $107/month but then shoots up to $171 for the faster package - argh!! I'm confused - any clarification/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2013-08-13, 08:27 AM
Regular User

We were on the Fibe 12 (12 download and 1 upload) for the last two years. We generally just surf and stream some shows. It was okay but I wanted cheaper. Turns out they have just dropped the prices on the 50/50 plan.
http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Pro...Internet_50_50

We are on this now and testing indicates that it is faster but to tell you the truth, I cannot tell the difference. Maybe if I was into graphic-intense games or something... Anyway, it is cheaper so I am happier.
Old 2013-08-13, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
We were on the Fibe 12 (12 download and 1 upload) for the last two years. We generally just surf and stream some shows. It was okay but I wanted cheaper. Turns out they have just dropped the prices on the 50/50 plan.
http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Pro...Internet_50_50

We are on this now and testing indicates that it is faster but to tell you the truth, I cannot tell the difference. Maybe if I was into graphic-intense games or something... Anyway, it is cheaper so I am happier.
Interesting - what part of the city are you in? I'm Riverside South, not sure what's available in my area.

Thanks for the info
Old 2013-08-13, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurbsGuy View Post
Interesting - what part of the city are you in? I'm Riverside South, not sure what's available in my area.

Thanks for the info
We are in the newer part of Findlay Creek. We had fibre-to-the-home. I guess this is a big deal; all this meant to me was that we had to pay extra each month for a "special" modem (this was waived under this new plan).

One other thing... the difference between the plans that I did notice was the GB per month. On the Fibe 12, we had 40 or 50 GB/month. It took one time to go over this limit and I had an "insurance" package added (an extra 40 GB for $5). The new plan gives 175 GB (or 250 GB depending on where you look) so that is another $5/month that we saved.

Last edited by bcpl; 2013-08-13 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2013-08-13, 12:36 PM
Regular User

the "special" modem is probably just a fiber media converter. if they start charging for it you can buy these for as low as $50 depending on what you need.
Old 2013-08-15, 04:27 PM
Regular User

This can only be answered by yourself and your use. Depending on your use, the answer could vary.

For instance in my case, I have been on Bells 50/50 (w/ unlimited internet) fibe for almost a year now and I personally wouldn't switch to anything less. Upload speed is just as important to me as the download speed. A lot of devices in my house use my internet in some shape way or form (voip, alarm system addon for personal monitoring, security camera monitoring, thermostat controls, NAS, DVR, etc). My wife noticed the speed difference uploading our pictures to get them developed. She couldn't believe how fast it went. Other options like the cap of your internet can only be answered by your usage... For me I average just under 500gb per month and on occasion I have hit over 1TB...

As for Bells equipment, what they setup for me is the following... a media converter, the bell fibe modem and a small UPS to keep those two devices powered during a power outage. The fibe modem actually doubles as the fibe tv as well as it has the coax connections on it. If you don't have fibe tv, the settings just get disabled in the modem they give you. Hope that helped...

**edit** bell shouldn't be charging you anything extra for the equipment... you should just be paying for your service.

Last edited by kei78; 2013-08-15 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2013-08-16, 08:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei78 View Post
This can only be answered by yourself and your use. Depending on your use, the answer could vary.

For instance in my case, I have been on Bells 50/50 (w/ unlimited internet) fibe for almost a year now and I personally wouldn't switch to anything less. Upload speed is just as important to me as the download speed. A lot of devices in my house use my internet in some shape way or form (voip, alarm system addon for personal monitoring, security camera monitoring, thermostat controls, NAS, DVR, etc). My wife noticed the speed difference uploading our pictures to get them developed. She couldn't believe how fast it went. Other options like the cap of your internet can only be answered by your usage... For me I average just under 500gb per month and on occasion I have hit over 1TB...

As for Bells equipment, what they setup for me is the following... a media converter, the bell fibe modem and a small UPS to keep those two devices powered during a power outage. The fibe modem actually doubles as the fibe tv as well as it has the coax connections on it. If you don't have fibe tv, the settings just get disabled in the modem they give you. Hope that helped...

**edit** bell shouldn't be charging you anything extra for the equipment... you should just be paying for your service.
Just a minor clarification: The UPS only keeps the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) powered, in order to ensure phone service in a power outage. The modem isn't on battery backup, so it'll go down in an outage.

I actually replaced the Bell modem with my own Ubiquity router. As long as you get one that supports VLAN tagging on the WAN interface, you can use any router you want. For Bell's FTTH, you're only using the routing functionality of that "modem" that they give you. Now it gets a little trickier if you're using their IPTV service, as you need the modem for that, but you can get the two playing nicely. This is assuming you even care to do any of this... I just wanted to get rid of Bell's modem because throughput drops off over heavy loads and latency tends to be a little disappointing. A lot of people flip the standard modem into bridge mode in order to use their own wireless router, but these units don't play all that nicely in bridge mode and you'll notice quite a hit on your up/down throughput.

/techno-babble-rant
Old 2013-08-16, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Just a minor clarification: The UPS only keeps the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) powered, in order to ensure phone service in a power outage. The modem isn't on battery backup, so it'll go down in an outage.

I actually replaced the Bell modem with my own Ubiquity router. As long as you get one that supports VLAN tagging on the WAN interface, you can use any router you want. For Bell's FTTH, you're only using the routing functionality of that "modem" that they give you. Now it gets a little trickier if you're using their IPTV service, as you need the modem for that, but you can get the two playing nicely. This is assuming you even care to do any of this... I just wanted to get rid of Bell's modem because throughput drops off over heavy loads and latency tends to be a little disappointing. A lot of people flip the standard modem into bridge mode in order to use their own wireless router, but these units don't play all that nicely in bridge mode and you'll notice quite a hit on your up/down throughput.

/techno-babble-rant
Interesting.
So, for my techno-babble illiteratness - if I have my router plugged into Bell's router, my service will not be as good?
Old 2013-08-16, 11:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
Interesting.
So, for my techno-babble illiteratness - if I have my router plugged into Bell's router, my service will not be as good?
Not at all.

The best option for most people is the following:

(A) to set your router to be a "wifi access point" only, and plug it into the bell modem/router. That will give you a decent wireless signal (Bell's is pretty terrible). Realistically this should be fine for most people. The Bell router will assign IPs to your devices and handle everything else except for wireless. Your router will serve the wireless network up to your house, and it's plugged into the Bell modem. The nice/knowledgeable Bell techs will actually spend a couple of minutes to help you out and get this setup. Others just really don't know their way around computers and/or are in too much of a rush, but it's not too complicated to do yourself.

An alternative is to do the opposite:

(B) There are advantages of doing the opposite and making the Bell modem/router act in bridge mode, and having your own router do the LAN routing, DHCP assignments for your computers, and wireless, BUT... Bell's modem/router behaves really erratically in bridge mode.

An example of why someone might want to take approach (B) is if you use Quality of Service (QoS) functions on your router in order to prioritize voice over IP traffic for VoIP Phone, or traffic for certain games that are latency-sensitive. The Bell router doesn't support QoS, and so you'd want to be able to use your own router, which you couldn't do if you followed (A) and put it into wifi-access-only mode.

Because I use VoIP phone service, have my alarm monitoring company doing IP-based monitoring, all the while backup up our computers to cloud backup services, QoS and low latency are important to me. Low latency means that VoIP phone service works great, and QoS lets me prioritize the important traffic so that a regular backup doesn't screw up my phone, or that iTunes movie that we're downloading at 50mbps doesn't mean the communication with our alarm monitoring system goes awry.

Summary:
(A) is your best option, it just means that power users might be frustrated not to have fine-grain control over network traffic and the likes.
(B) will work, but the modem tends to crash under load. If you're someone who uses bittorrent and frequently has dozens of open IP connections, the modem will barf
(C) Do what I did and it's a headache to setup but gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 2013-08-16, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Not at all.

The best option for most people is the following:

(A) to set your router to be a "wifi access point" only, and plug it into the bell modem/router. That will give you a decent wireless signal (Bell's is pretty terrible). Realistically this should be fine for most people. The Bell router will assign IPs to your devices and handle everything else except for wireless. Your router will serve the wireless network up to your house, and it's plugged into the Bell modem. The nice/knowledgeable Bell techs will actually spend a couple of minutes to help you out and get this setup. Others just really don't know their way around computers and/or are in too much of a rush, but it's not too complicated to do yourself.
Okay, good. Headaches, I do not need.
My NAS and SONOS bridge currently connect to my router and my router into the Bell router. Things have been working okay but like I said, I really do not push my system much. I have not changed my router to "wifi access point" only though. I will do that as you suggested.