Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2014-07-11, 06:32 PM
Regular User

Default Mounting TV over fireplace

Hi there,

We just moved into our new home and had plans to mount the TV over the fireplace. We added a dedicated outlet for the TV, as well as a conduit to the basement for the wires. There is also a cat5 outlet just beneath the electrical outlet.

I purchased the Kanto FMX2 Full Motion wall mount from Costco, for our 40" Samsung.

The conduit and electrical outlet were installed in the middle of the wall, and now I don't see how the mount can be installed, when the outlets are behind it? It seems we would need to install the mount above the outlets, which would make the TV very high? Or we'd have to try and install the mount off-set on the wall, to accommodate the outlets?

Did I just buy a poorly designed mount (with no access hole in the centre), or was the conduit/power outlet installed in an odd location?

I'm hoping an extra set of eyes might help me understand how to do this. This is the first time I've ever used a conduit, or mounted a TV on a wall.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Old 2014-07-11, 09:30 PM
Regular User

Other mounts including others from Kanto have a hole in the center. Consider getting a different model im guessing..
Old 2014-07-11, 11:09 PM
Administrator

We don't use mounts like you show for the exact reason you mention. There are many mounts from many companies that give you a frame to mount to the wall with nothing in the middle.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-07-12, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Does the part of the mount that attaches to the TV allow for adjustment to lower the TV? We had a similar problem (the mount looked like it would sit over sockets but it didn't), but through adjustments the TV is the perfect height despite the mount on it's own looking the wrong height.

Old 2014-07-12, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Definitely get a different mount, problem solved as most mounts have a huge hole in the middle.
Old 2014-07-12, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Thank you all for your advice!

London - I didn't notice anything for adjustment on the parts that attach to the TV. I'll take another look tomorrow though - thanks for your suggestion.

If that doesn't work out, I will return the mount for a model with the hole in the back. Thanks again!
Old 2014-07-15, 07:48 PM
Regular User

If you put receptacles in the wall as you show they should be recessed and usually off center both horizontally and vertically so they can be used with any mount.

But I've always found the conduit to work best and will place the conduit where I want based on the mount I have. 2 conduits usually one for power and the other for network/hdmi/coax, etc. and separate them to the left and right of center (both lower). You want to plug the tv into a properly protected power bar anyways.
Old 2014-07-15, 10:01 PM
Administrator

You are not running power through a conduit unless it's Romex terminated to a receptical.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-07-15, 10:09 PM
Regular User

I've used 1 1/2" grey pvc tubing to hide cables for that short run between the bottom of a wall mounted tv and the receiver cabinet or to offset them around a fireplace. The power cord for the TV simply goes through that chase.
Old 2014-07-19, 09:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreutz73 View Post
I've used 1 1/2" grey pvc tubing to hide cables for that short run between the bottom of a wall mounted tv and the receiver cabinet or to offset them around a fireplace. The power cord for the TV simply goes through that chase.
But that's precisely what's not okay. Put an outlet where it needs to be. Conduits are for low voltage wiring only, unless as Greg pointed out you're using proper electrical conduit with Romex terminated at a receptacle, which gives you nothing over just having a proper outlet installed where it needs to be.