Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2015-09-02, 10:48 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 286
Default Fireplace stonewall job

Hi all just looking for some tips and maybe a good contractor referral who could help out with a project I'd like to do soon.

Our great room has a "feature" type wall that juts out in middle of wall where the fireplace sits at bottom. It's about 5.5 ft wide, comes out maybe 1.5 feet, and is about 14 ft tall (almost a two story room but not quite). It has a ledge above fireplace and a TV mounted above ledge.

Looking to put up a stone/brick wall on front and most likely on the sides where it juts out. Does anyone know what a good price for somthign like this would be? Any experience with this?

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2015-09-02, 11:30 AM
BlkStnBerk2 BlkStnBerk2 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Hi all just looking for some tips and maybe a good contractor referral who could help out with a project I'd like to do soon.

Our great room has a "feature" type wall that juts out in middle of wall where the fireplace sits at bottom. It's about 5.5 ft wide, comes out maybe 1.5 feet, and is about 14 ft tall (almost a two story room but not quite). It has a ledge above fireplace and a TV mounted above ledge.

Looking to put up a stone/brick wall on front and most likely on the sides where it juts out. Does anyone know what a good price for somthign like this would be? Any experience with this?

Much appreciated!
Which part of the City are you located?

The price will vary a lot depending on the stone you want to use.

For that height, it is recommended you use plywood, as well as lath.

I know it depends on the product, but it seems generally, that anything higher than ten feet requires this procedure.

If I were you, I'd remove the drywall altogether, install plywood, lath, and then the stone on top.

Otherwise, your fireplace is going to be quite recessed (unless it can be pulled forward).
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2015-09-02, 11:52 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 286
Default

I'm in Barrhaven.

I've got a couple quotes for around $1000 including materials with a mid to high end finish. One guy proposes using cement board, but yes remove drywall first.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2015-09-02, 11:58 AM
BlkStnBerk2 BlkStnBerk2 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I'm in Barrhaven.

I've got a couple quotes for around $1000 including materials with a mid to high end finish. One guy proposes using cement board, but yes remove drywall first.
Cement board also works well.

$1000 doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm currently buying some higher end stone, and the contractor cost on it is $350 for 40 square feet.

So $1000 for materials and labour for the wall you described, is really good.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2015-09-02, 06:34 PM
good2know's Avatar
good2know good2know is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I'm in Barrhaven.

I've got a couple quotes for around $1000 including materials with a mid to high end finish. One guy proposes using cement board, but yes remove drywall first.
Have you asked for references, and seen examples of their work?

How are they doing the outside corners?

Has anyone suggested adding joists or some structural support under this? Depending on direction of your floor joists this could all be sitting on the osb only.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2015-09-02, 09:45 PM
TKG26 TKG26 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: HMB
Posts: 1,853
Default

have your fireplace manual on site. it has all the clearance u need to meet
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2015-09-03, 07:44 AM
nessiesens nessiesens is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanata, Ontario
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Hi all just looking for some tips and maybe a good contractor referral who could help out with a project I'd like to do soon.

Our great room has a "feature" type wall that juts out in middle of wall where the fireplace sits at bottom. It's about 5.5 ft wide, comes out maybe 1.5 feet, and is about 14 ft tall (almost a two story room but not quite). It has a ledge above fireplace and a TV mounted above ledge.

Looking to put up a stone/brick wall on front and most likely on the sides where it juts out. Does anyone know what a good price for somthign like this would be? Any experience with this?

Much appreciated!
I thought of diong this same thing myself, my ex brother-in-law has his own masonry company and though he said it's a good idea, it weighs a lot and can be a lot of work for just that.

However it is not impossible, and $1000 sounds pretty fair considering the extra work needed to structurally support it and labour.

Have you thought of using tile instead as alternative? I redid my entire fireplace in the basement (like yours, it was just sitting there and mine was dull) and now it's one of the most gorgeous things in my house.
Attached is what mine looks like now vs the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike_basement.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	691.9 KB
ID:	13170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	13171  
__________________
Mattamy: Fernwater End - Fairwinds North
Closed: Oct 14, 2010
Sold: Jan 27, 2014
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014



覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2015-09-03, 08:06 AM
BlkStnBerk2 BlkStnBerk2 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessiesens View Post
I thought of diong this same thing myself, my ex brother-in-law has his own masonry company and though he said it's a good idea, it weighs a lot and can be a lot of work for just that.

However it is not impossible, and $1000 sounds pretty fair considering the extra work needed to structurally support it and labour.

Have you thought of using tile instead as alternative? I redid my entire fireplace in the basement (like yours, it was just sitting there and mine was dull) and now it's one of the most gorgeous things in my house.
Attached is what mine looks like now vs the original.
Looks good!

When you say "tile", do you mean the ledgestone veneer stuff? That's what it looks like you have. Or is it lookalike ceramic tile? I can't really tell from the picture.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2015-09-03, 08:29 AM
nessiesens nessiesens is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanata, Ontario
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Looks good!

When you say "tile", do you mean the ledgestone veneer stuff? That's what it looks like you have. Or is it lookalike ceramic tile? I can't really tell from the picture.
These are ceramic tiles, that's all I know
__________________
Mattamy: Fernwater End - Fairwinds North
Closed: Oct 14, 2010
Sold: Jan 27, 2014
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014



覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2015-09-03, 08:56 AM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 286
Default

Thx for the tips all really appreciate it!

Ness - your choice turned out great very nice. I'm also considering doing some similar shelving on one or both sides....just not sure if it would look weird if I only went up part of the way (no need for shelves that are up high out of reach?). If I don't do the shelving, one thing I was pondering is whether I would need to also stone the side of the "feature wall" or just leave it as is...hmmm.

Do you mind sharing what the cost was for the shelving?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brick, fireplace, stonewall, veneer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV over the fireplace coreyamanda Burlington 4 2012-07-03 11:17 AM
LCD above fireplace Mark & Lynda Home Technology and Electronics 23 2012-06-24 08:57 PM
Fireplace dsouzac1984 Milton 0 2010-06-02 03:04 PM
Yes or No? How many of you put the TV above the fireplace? jessekaa Ottawa 99 2009-09-23 05:01 PM
gas fireplace fan Jeff&Jasmin Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler担 Mill 4 2008-02-19 09:33 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.