Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-09-27, 11:31 PM
Regular User

Exclamation Upgrades - Outside Contractors

Hi All,

Now that some of us have had a chance to look at the design catalogue and realize how expensive some of the upgrades are, I propose a new thread.

Outside Contractors! Some of the non-essential, non-architectural upgrades are most likely cheaper to get after closing, through an external contractor. ... And you know how they say "cheaper by the dozen". So I thought we could use this thread to discuss various external contractors, possible upgrades, prices …etc.

As I said, I’m sure we can get a better deal if we say …”Hey, there are 10 of us all looking to get hardwood floors, what’s the best price you can give us!” ..

I’ve already been referred a contractor who installs hardwood flooring for nearly ½ the price that Mattamy is charging (including material).
Old 2006-09-27, 11:47 PM
Regular User

BUT there are some things you have to be careful going with an outside contractors:

if your hardwood floors end up squeaking, they are not guaranteed anymore unless you remove the hardwood, have the builder fix it and then reinstall the hardwood. You also can't install hardwood in a kitchen because you need to remove the cabinets to install it under (which means removing the counter tops, which damages the backsplash, ...).

It's not always cheaper even though it looks cheaper at first.

Myself, I'm thinking of having granite done post closing.
Old 2006-09-28, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Thanks Mart. that's good advice.

I think with most of the after-closing-date upgrades, it's better to wait a bit. I was thinking of getting the Hardwood floors after submitting the final report to Tarion (1 yr).

is getting ceramic flooring done in the kitchen after-closing a bad idea too you think? We get vinyl by default.
Old 2006-09-28, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppy
is getting ceramic flooring done in the kitchen after-closing a bad idea too you think? We get vinyl by default.
I'd say have it done by the builder, they need to add an extra ~5/8" of plywood over the subfloor. You want them to do that under the cabinets as well.
Old 2006-09-28, 04:27 PM
Regular User

Or you could get them to add the extra plywood to the subfloor now. The you'll have the right thickness when you want to do your ceramic tiles. You need a subfloor of about 3/4" to install tiles so as not to have problems later on.
Old 2006-09-28, 04:33 PM
Regular User

You should not have any problems with squeeky subfloors if they nail and screw it down properly. It still not a bad idea to wait a while before installing the new floor anyways. Gives you more time to decide what you really want, and to make sure all is ok.

But do not forget the inconvenience factor in doing this after the house is built. Doing tile in the kitchen is not a 1 day thing... Depends how much that convenience is worth to you :-)
Old 2006-10-11, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Default kitchen countertop

Any thoughts on problems incurred by changing the kitchen countertop as an after-thought (instead of having Mattamy do it?) I would like to go with Silestone, but the markup charged by Mattamy is insane! Has anyone done a kitchen counter before? And since hindsight is 20/20 - would you recommend it as a DIY project, or hire somebody?
Old 2006-10-11, 02:59 PM
Regular User

It may impact your back-splash if you have one installed.

As for a DIY project - that all depends how handy you are doing renovations around the house. If the biggest DIY project you ever did was change a light bulb, then get someone in to do it for you But if you have done a number of bigger renovations (like install hardwood floor, install a bathtub, etc) and felt quite confortable about it, then you should have no problems learning and doing this renovation.

I do most of my own renovations (assuming I have the time for it). I like to find a someone who is familiar with the work and asked for some guidance/tips/suggestions.

By the way, depending how big your counters are, this is probably a 2 or 3 person job to lift and install the new counter.

Joseph
Old 2006-10-11, 03:04 PM
Regular User

I'm thinking of having my granite / silestone counter top installed after moving in... I'll confirm everything once Tamarack has quoted me a price. I'd have to upgrade the backsplash with them anyways for something like 400 - 500$ so I'd save that at the same time. Plus, I could buy the undermount sink I want.
Old 2006-10-11, 04:09 PM
Regular User

Thanks Joseph, the backsplash was the one thing I was worried about. We did a big reno in our bathroom, and the countertop there was very easy to install but we were working from scratch plus it's a lot smaller.

Mart242, are you planning on replacing the entire backsplash then? That's actually not a bad idea, given the price to upgrade... Something else for us to think about I guess So many decisions!

Thanks again