Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-05, 03:25 PM

Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

3/4" lower, not really, the floor is just 3/4" higher....You will not notice the difference.
Old 2006-10-06, 02:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes on you
Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

3/4" lower, not really, the floor is just 3/4" higher....You will not notice the difference.
Not sure what typical builders do, but in custom built homes, they will raise the cabinets for you (by whatever thickness you flooring will be). You could probably ask a builder to do the same.

3/4" does not sound like much... but think about your dishwasher for example, it has to fit under the counter so if your floor is 3/4" higher, you loose some wiggle room between the bottom of the counter and top of the dishwasher (when you need to pull it out for repairs or replacement!).

Joseph
Old 2006-10-13, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Nobody has mentioned cork floors. Supposedly if treated properly they resist stains pretty well and are much softer on the feet/legs/back.
Old 2006-10-13, 09:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG
Nobody has mentioned cork floors. Supposedly if treated properly they resist stains pretty well and are much softer on the feet/legs/back.
I haven't seen any cork floor in real life but based on the pictures it's not too pretty. I'll definitely investigate this a bit further and try to see samples in a stores before making my final decision though.
Old 2006-10-13, 09:40 PM
KBMF

Same here mart. I never seriously considered cork as I hadnt seen any real life. I have seen the cork option come up on some of the forums though and the fact it is easier on the feet/legs and back seems to be its selling point? But I havent heard much about how good/bad it looks. Although Im still not sure if I may just be stuck with mattamy's lovely linoleum for a while, cork is definetely something I will look into further for the kitchen.
Old 2006-10-16, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Please report back to us on your findings. I've never actually SEEN it in person either...
Old 2006-10-16, 02:28 PM
Regular User

Default HW in the kitchen

Hi gang,

Regarding hardwood in the kitchen - my mom has had it in hers for amny years and it's not a problem. I plan to do the same (the kitchen and great room are open to each other). I've dropped and spilled many things in her kitchen (yes, I'm very clumsy ) and it has been fine. The biggest scratches, dents etc... are in the dining room from the chairs during our family gathering

So I'm going for it !
Celine
Old 2006-10-19, 03:46 PM
Regular User

[QUOTE=Eyes on you]Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!

Hi,

FYI...we just bought a Mattamy home in Stouffville. They installed the ceramic tile (standard in our model) in the kitchen before the cabinets went in and they installed it pretty much all the way to the walls! The installer for our dishwasher was quite impressed since it obviously made the installation of the dishwasher alot easier with a level floor.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2006-10-20, 09:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242
I haven't seen any cork floor in real life but based on the pictures it's not too pretty. I'll definitely investigate this a bit further and try to see samples in a stores before making my final decision though.
Investigation done: I saw it in person at "the healthiest building supplies" (135 holland) and at home depot. Verdict: I'm not putting that in my house. It could be nice in some stlyes of houses... but it looks worse in person than in pictures! Actually, the look is not even my biggest concern. I hated that the pressure of a finger nail would scratch it. With kids, it's a big no no.
Old 2006-10-20, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Hi,

FYI...we just bought a Mattamy home in Stouffville. They installed the ceramic tile (standard in our model) in the kitchen before the cabinets went in and they installed it pretty much all the way to the walls! The installer for our dishwasher was quite impressed since it obviously made the installation of the dishwasher alot easier with a level floor.
Did you see the kitchen floor after the ceramic titles were installed but before the cabinets were installed? Or did you only see it after the cabinet were installed and what you saw was ceramic also installed on the floor where the fridge, stove, and dishwasher usually goes?

Thanks