Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2006-10-05, 03:25 PM
Eyes on you Eyes on you is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

3/4" lower, not really, the floor is just 3/4" higher....You will not notice the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2006-10-06, 02:18 PM
Joseph Joseph is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kanata, ON
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes on you
Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

3/4" lower, not really, the floor is just 3/4" higher....You will not notice the difference.
Not sure what typical builders do, but in custom built homes, they will raise the cabinets for you (by whatever thickness you flooring will be). You could probably ask a builder to do the same.

3/4" does not sound like much... but think about your dishwasher for example, it has to fit under the counter so if your floor is 3/4" higher, you loose some wiggle room between the bottom of the counter and top of the dishwasher (when you need to pull it out for repairs or replacement!).

Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2006-10-13, 05:30 PM
MikeG MikeG is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Default

Nobody has mentioned cork floors. Supposedly if treated properly they resist stains pretty well and are much softer on the feet/legs/back.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2006-10-13, 09:23 PM
mart242 mart242 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG
Nobody has mentioned cork floors. Supposedly if treated properly they resist stains pretty well and are much softer on the feet/legs/back.
I haven't seen any cork floor in real life but based on the pictures it's not too pretty. I'll definitely investigate this a bit further and try to see samples in a stores before making my final decision though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2006-10-13, 09:40 PM
KBMF
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Same here mart. I never seriously considered cork as I hadnt seen any real life. I have seen the cork option come up on some of the forums though and the fact it is easier on the feet/legs and back seems to be its selling point? But I havent heard much about how good/bad it looks. Although Im still not sure if I may just be stuck with mattamy's lovely linoleum for a while, cork is definetely something I will look into further for the kitchen.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2006-10-16, 09:07 AM
MikeG MikeG is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Default

Please report back to us on your findings. I've never actually SEEN it in person either...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2006-10-16, 02:28 PM
lizard_chick72 lizard_chick72 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 31
Default HW in the kitchen

Hi gang,

Regarding hardwood in the kitchen - my mom has had it in hers for amny years and it's not a problem. I plan to do the same (the kitchen and great room are open to each other). I've dropped and spilled many things in her kitchen (yes, I'm very clumsy ) and it has been fine. The biggest scratches, dents etc... are in the dining room from the chairs during our family gathering

So I'm going for it !
Celine
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2006-10-19, 03:46 PM
gizmo gizmo is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 980
Default

[QUOTE=Eyes on you]Even if the builder installs the hardwood they will not be putting it under the cabinets!
Any flooring type is layed just past the kickboard and install the kickboard once the floor is done. Except for under the stove and fridge of course. I have never known a builder that would install any type of floor before cabinets go in. Waste of materials and time and money!

Hi,

FYI...we just bought a Mattamy home in Stouffville. They installed the ceramic tile (standard in our model) in the kitchen before the cabinets went in and they installed it pretty much all the way to the walls! The installer for our dishwasher was quite impressed since it obviously made the installation of the dishwasher alot easier with a level floor.
__________________


Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2006-10-20, 09:08 AM
mart242 mart242 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242
I haven't seen any cork floor in real life but based on the pictures it's not too pretty. I'll definitely investigate this a bit further and try to see samples in a stores before making my final decision though.
Investigation done: I saw it in person at "the healthiest building supplies" (135 holland) and at home depot. Verdict: I'm not putting that in my house. It could be nice in some stlyes of houses... but it looks worse in person than in pictures! Actually, the look is not even my biggest concern. I hated that the pressure of a finger nail would scratch it. With kids, it's a big no no.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2006-10-20, 10:00 AM
Joseph Joseph is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kanata, ON
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Hi,

FYI...we just bought a Mattamy home in Stouffville. They installed the ceramic tile (standard in our model) in the kitchen before the cabinets went in and they installed it pretty much all the way to the walls! The installer for our dishwasher was quite impressed since it obviously made the installation of the dishwasher alot easier with a level floor.
Did you see the kitchen floor after the ceramic titles were installed but before the cabinets were installed? Or did you only see it after the cabinet were installed and what you saw was ceramic also installed on the floor where the fridge, stove, and dishwasher usually goes?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
¿Hardwood OR Tile in the Kitchen? Dorni Ottawa 9 2007-11-16 04:07 PM
Ceramic vs. Hardwood floor prince Ottawa 11 2007-10-11 06:11 PM
2 1/4 versus 3 1/4 hardwood plank - which one would you choose? poordionis Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 24 2007-06-28 11:47 PM
delete ceramic kitchen tile maria musselman Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 7 2006-12-28 09:12 AM
Hardwood in the kitchen, after closing t.o.mama Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill 16 2006-09-18 09:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.