Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-19, 11:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM View Post
Mine are the same. I can see my neighbour's are the same too. I don't ever recall having these issues with my Richcraft windows. Did you contact Urbandale yet? I really don't want to have another go around with Mason. UGH.
Hi Kelly, how old is your home? Curious if it's your first winter in the house and if it's still under the 1 year warranty.
Old 2018-11-20, 06:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day View Post
Hi Kelly, how old is your home? Curious if it's your first winter in the house and if it's still under the 1 year warranty.
Itís my second winter so Iím past the 1 year mark. Iím trying to upload pics but itís giving my problems.
Old 2018-11-21, 03:38 PM
Regular User

TARION 3.8 section mention about the WINDOW issue:

CONDITION
CONDENSATION FORMING BETWEEN INSULATING (FACTORY SEALED) GLASS
UNIT

Acceptable Performance/Condition
Insulating glass units shall be free from condensation between the panes.

Warranty
One-Year - Work and Materials

Action
Insulating glass units with condensation between the panes shall be replaced.

Remarks
Condensation between panes indicates the airtight seal around the edge of the glass is
broken. An extended warranty may be available through the window manufacturer.
Old 2018-11-22, 03:24 PM
Regular User

I was wondering, as a homeowner, do i need to call Mason directly for these defective windows or should my builder follow up with Mason? If i report the failed windows in our 1 year warranty form, do i still need to pay for installation cost?
Old 2018-11-23, 07:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Itís my second winter so Iím past the 1 year mark. Iím trying to upload pics but itís giving my problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	41D0CA7B-5974-4F21-8D6B-465E1FF774A4.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	14551

This is my bedroom window this morning. That is between the panes. Many of my windows are like this.
Old 2018-11-23, 08:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Attachment 14551

This is my bedroom window this morning. That is between the panes. Many of my windows are like this.
I would suggest you reach out to Urbandale warranty dept ASAP with attaching these pictures for each windows/rooms and see what they suggest as you are past 1 year mark. I believe we have 10 yrs (not 100% sure) of prorated warranty with Mason.
Old 2018-11-24, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer_2017 View Post
I would suggest you reach out to Urbandale warranty dept ASAP with attaching these pictures for each windows/rooms and see what they suggest as you are past 1 year mark. I believe we have 10 yrs (not 100% sure) of prorated warranty with Mason.
Watch out as they may tell you that just the windows are under warranty, but not the labour (or the other way around). Don't buy that!
They install defective windows and they know it. Nothing will change until homeowners will get together and do something.
Also don't agree to contact Mason yourself. They will now likely say to get back to them in the spring, and then will tell you it's a backorder and they wait for the windows and this will drag and drag.
I am with defective windows they installed last fall (and within 2 weeks got fogged). So I'll be with these defective windows another winter (and that's because the builder just washed their hands off and got me to deal with mason)
Old 2018-11-28, 06:34 PM

Here's some info for you, send the pics directly to Urbandale and ask for them to be replaced. Urbandale and Mason have an agreement that all faulty windows will be replaced for free up to the 2 year mark but conveniently they're not letting their customers know but if you ask for replacements they will do.it. You'll still probably be waiting 18 months to get replacements though as they are so slow.
Old 2018-11-29, 11:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks07 View Post
Here's some info for you, send the pics directly to Urbandale and ask for them to be replaced. Urbandale and Mason have an agreement that all faulty windows will be replaced for free up to the 2 year mark but conveniently they're not letting their customers know but if you ask for replacements they will do.it. You'll still probably be waiting 18 months to get replacements though as they are so slow.

Thanks for the information - not sure why Urbandale is not communicating this information with their existing new home owners.
I understand that MASON will cover one year warranty on any repairs done on these windows. What if the replacement windows fail again after 1 year, how does the warranty covers at that time?
I know lot of folks waiting for MASON to replace the windows for 2nd time..
Old 2018-11-29, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer_2017 View Post
Thanks for the information - not sure why Urbandale is not communicating this information with their existing new home owners.
I understand that MASON will cover one year warranty on any repairs done on these windows. What if the replacement windows fail again after 1 year, how does the warranty covers at that time?
I know lot of folks waiting for MASON to replace the windows for 2nd time..
I know Urbandale will have Mason replace any window even if it fails numerous times within the 2 year period but what I don't know is if the window is replaced at the two year mark do you then get the 1 year guarantee from Mason.

There's a lot of things Urbandale and other builders keep to themselves and people only find out if they dig deeper and won't take no for an answer. It's a terrible game you have to play