Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-11, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Default Looking for Cardel Design Prices

This is a first for me, but I went to Cardel Blackstone asking if it was possible to go see Design Centre or see an Options book so that I could help in financing out potential options for a house purchase (so I don't go in too over my head, and I like to budget) and they said they would not share anything.

I have been to other companies who have gladly allowed me access to Design Centre or shown me an option book that I could at least get a rough idea price wise (I respect that prices can vary but at least I can minimum budget).

So I am wondering if anyone here has recently purchased from Cardel and they provided you with their Options Booklet (was it specific to your model or just in general) or purchased specifically the Capella 2 model.

I really want to budget to know given these houses are going to cost us over half a million dollars, and I like to know ahead of time to factor doing it myself or cheaper for them to do it.

If anyone can share anything I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

Old 2018-09-11, 03:23 PM
Regular User

As far as I know, a majority of major builders don't give out costs. That being said, the average model home has between 30K and 50K in upgrades. When I visited the Richcraft design centre recently (which I hear is one of the more costly ones), she said nobody had ever spent more than $100K in upgrades, and they made basically every upgrades possible. On average, people spend between 10 and 30K at the design centre.

What kinds of things are you looking to upgrade?

Side note: Don't upgrade paints. The house has to break itself on, and you'll have to pay for premium paint again after you do. Stick to a few categories: Lights, Flooring, Structural, and Cabinetry.

I can tell you that there isn't really options booklets anymore. You do an orientation at the design centre, they don't tell you prices (for the most part), and they go to their contractors (Subcontractors) for pricing.

Remember, most of these builders don't do much (or any) of them work themselves, so they don't have the prices readily available. It also doesn't help that they have 10-40 floorplans, and someone might want hardwood only halfway into a room, some might want it more, so they need to actually handle these requests.
Old 2018-09-11, 04:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
As far as I know, a majority of major builders don't give out costs. That being said, the average model home has between 30K and 50K in upgrades. When I visited the Richcraft design centre recently (which I hear is one of the more costly ones), she said nobody had ever spent more than $100K in upgrades, and they made basically every upgrades possible. On average, people spend between 10 and 30K at the design centre.

Side note: Don't upgrade paints. The house has to break itself on, and you'll have to pay for premium paint again after you do. Stick to a few categories: Lights, Flooring, Structural, and Cabinetry.

I can tell you that there isn't really options booklets anymore. You do an orientation at the design centre, they don't tell you prices (for the most part), and they go to their contractors (Subcontractors) for pricing.

Remember, most of these builders don't do much (or any) of them work themselves, so they don't have the prices readily available. It also doesn't help that they have 10-40 floorplans, and someone might want hardwood only halfway into a room, some might want it more, so they need to actually handle these requests.
When I went to Mattamy and Valecraft recently they both shared prices from design books. When I talk options, Iím speaking more to things like, extra lights or in speakers, raised bars etc

Not worried about paints or the Level 1-5 design choices for cabinets etc. That I know I can always stick basic and upgrade if my future. But itís those things to do before walls go up. Extras that you could do but might be more hassle.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

Old 2018-09-11, 04:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessiesens View Post
When I went to Mattamy and Valecraft recently they both shared prices from design books. When I talk options, I’m speaking more to things like, extra lights or in speakers, raised bars etc

Not worried about paints or the Level 1-5 design choices for cabinets etc. That I know I can always stick basic and upgrade if my future. But it’s those things to do before walls go up. Extras that you could do but might be more hassle.
Ahh. I see. Well, they wouldn't give me any prices on the spot - all through a request-based system.

Last edited by JCC; 2018-09-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 2018-09-11, 04:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Hmm, not sure I agree with a bunch of these points and I assume you're specifically talking about town homes for your pricing figures.

Regardless, unless things have changed drastically since we bought our town home (8yrs ago) and two (2) singles (6yrs and 4yrs ago), I find it hard to believe that builders don't share costs except once you've purchased and are in the design phase.
Old 2018-09-11, 04:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Hmm, not sure I agree with a bunch of these points and I assume you're specifically talking about town homes for your pricing figures.

Regardless, unless things have changed drastically since we bought our town home (8yrs ago) and two (2) singles (6yrs and 4yrs ago), I find it hard to believe that builders don't share costs except once you've purchased and are in the design phase.
I've only been looking at single family homes. None will give me prices, except the odd thing here and there (I.e., Richcraft told me that it's $879 to upgrade to a premium paint). All of my information came from people at the sales or design centre.

All three told me once you have a signed agreement, you can start putting in pricing requests. To me, that sounds really sketchy, borderline illegal.

Last edited by JCC; 2018-09-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 2018-09-13, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:

I dont understand the reluctance from some builders. We bought a Minto home this year and they gave us the full upgrades options sheet the day we bought it specific to our floorplan...however this was after we signed the PSA... but if you have bought a home already I dont believe for a second that they dont have estimates on hand. They have sold countless homes and the cost for a specific upgrade is the same each time they add it on that specific model. I would fight to see the estimates and tell them that if they dont provide it you simply wont be able to do as much through them because you cant plan ahead.

Last edited by reens09; 2018-09-13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 2018-09-13, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
I dont understand the reluctance from some builders. We bought a Minto home this year and they gave us the full upgrades options sheet the day we bought it specific to our floorplan...however this was after we signed the PSA... but if you have bought a home already I dont believe for a second that they dont have estimates on hand. They have sold countless homes and the cost for a specific upgrade is the same each time they add it on that specific model. I would fight to see the estimates and tell them that if they dont provide it you simply wont be able to do as much through them because you cant plan ahead.
Oh, they absolutely do. And it's gotta be illegal to not give prices... how is that not a violation of the competition or industry act?

We're working with Urbandale now. They've been nothing but open and transparent with us on everything. It's so refreshing - I feel so comfortable working with them as a result.

Last edited by JCC; 2018-09-13 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2018-09-19, 08:10 PM

Cardel won't provide you with an options booklet because it would make you less likely to pay them their overpriced upgrades. You will pay more for floors, kitchen, lights etc, but some find it easier to get it out of the way and not be bothered later.

Some other tips:
-Don't upgrade paint. Their trades paint like 4 year olds so you will need an actual professional to come in later when they refuse to cover paint splatters on your warranty.
-Don't upgrade things you can't see (insulation, shower stalls, etc). No easy way to confirm they've actually honoured their agreement.
-Don't rough in a basement bathroom, you'll just have to redo properly later anyways.