Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-14, 02:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Won't use $30k at the design center?

If you're on a budget, I guess not, but for a single home that number can get blown away quite quickly on things you wouldn't want to do afterwards for a slight savings (railings, stairs, ceiling height, smooth ceilings, pot lights, hardwood throughout, kitchen redesign, etc.)
I said much more than 30k... we've done top of the line for a majority of things that I wouldn't want to do later (upgrading to hardwood stairs, adding nosing, upgrading the hardwood floors, adding in pot lights, changing the layout, upgrading the fireplace, marble backsplash, upgraded quartz in the kitchen, top of the line, custom colour cabinets, upgraded sinks, adding quartz in bathrooms, upgrades door handles and gripsets, etc. and we're at like 30K.
Old 2018-11-14, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Just something to note - you probably won't use much more than 30K at the design centre, and you probably won't want to.
I used more than that in a townhouse and I didn't get hardwood. If you are planning to stay there for awhile and don't want to rip everything out when you move in, it's easy to spend money. With some other builders you might spend less at design.
Old 2018-11-14, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I said much more than 30k... we've done top of the line for a majority of things that I wouldn't want to do later (upgrading to hardwood stairs, adding nosing, upgrading the hardwood floors, adding in pot lights, changing the layout, upgrading the fireplace, marble backsplash, upgraded quartz in the kitchen, top of the line, custom colour cabinets, upgraded sinks, adding quartz in bathrooms, upgrades door handles and gripsets, etc. and we're at like 30K.
That's an incredible deal...who is your builder? I did just about that and it cost me $40k
Old 2018-11-15, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creat View Post
That's an incredible deal...who is your builder? I did just about that and it cost me $40k
Urbandale!
Old 2018-11-15, 11:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIV View Post
We realized the 15k-20k premium isn't outrageous considering we looked at Abbotsville Crossing and the lot premium for some of their 43' lots that backed onto trees/pond were between 75k-100k.
Wow, I had no idea the lot premiums were that high. I can see the value of having no neighbours behind, but I'd need more than a drainage pond behind me to think of dropping that much. It used to be death by a thousand papercuts when you built a house, now they just go straight for the jugular!

It used to be no one wanted a corner lot because of the extra frontage and traffic. Now that's a premium for some reason. I've heard of some people paying a premium on a lot for south facing backyards or a house. In the end, I hope you just get what you want and have a little fun in the process.
Old 2018-11-15, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
Wow, I had no idea the lot premiums were that high. I can see the value of having no neighbours behind, but I'd need more than a drainage pond behind me to think of dropping that much. It used to be death by a thousand papercuts when you built a house, now they just go straight for the jugular!

It used to be no one wanted a corner lot because of the extra frontage and traffic. Now that's a premium for some reason. I've heard of some people paying a premium on a lot for south facing backyards or a house. In the end, I hope you just get what you want and have a little fun in the process.
When we were talking with richcraft, there was one lot that had a 125K premoium - no neighbors behind, enlarged lot, far away from other units, etc.
Old 2018-11-15, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
When we were talking with richcraft, there was one lot that had a 125K premoium - no neighbors behind, enlarged lot, far away from other units, etc.
I get the better lot idea, that's why when we were considering our purchase we ended up going for a larger lot, more upscale model and spending barely anything at the design centre vs a smaller lot, entry level model chalked full of extras. If I bought a lot like the one you mention it had better be in a situation where they can never build houses behind due to a ravine, rock etc. I'd always be concerned about them rezoning and suddenly you have neighbours.
Old 2018-11-15, 07:09 PM

Yup yup, the 30k+ estimations don't seem far-fetched. Considering the sq footage to cover and maxing some upgrades (hardwood floor, quartz, staircase etc) our estimates was about 40k-50k at the design center.

And yeah some of those lot premiums were absurd, but I do admit some of those lots were really nice (maybe not 100k nice though)
Old 2018-11-16, 08:09 AM
Regular User

One of the OP's choices is over 3700 square feet. $30,000 in upgrades will go quickly. Flooring alone will gobble up the majority of it. I've toured many builder's model homes that were 3000 square feet and larger that had in excess of $100,000 in upgrades. Valecraft's Manning bungalow in Stittsville has over $130,000 in upgrades. It all depends on personal tastes, wants and needs, and budget.
Old 2018-11-16, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Jus trust the posts of those who built and moved with Mattamy. Ignore other builder quotes. We built 36 ft approx 2400 sq. Ft with Mattamy ( excluding basement)and the upgrade cost ran us close to 48 K ( including 10 K design center credit,9 ft ceiling on main level).This is without hardwood on second floor and no smooth ceiling.

The post by Urbandale person above was for 30 ft home and not comparable to your situation. For the same squarefeet of 3000( excluding basement) Urbandale's comparable model is Portland Pacific series and base price for that is 687K with no upgrades.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kikka; 2018-11-16 at 10:19 AM.