Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-12-06, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Default Cold walk-out basement

Hi guys, I finished the basement, but it's cold down there. I stopped running the furnace fan from On to auto (only when furnace starts). Will this help or is it the other way around?

I like my home at 21 which makes the upstairs bedrooms warm (21+) the main floor (21) and the basement must be at like 19.

I'll be looking at a gas fireplace or something to heat up the basement. I havn't done the ceiling yet. Any other ideas of what can be done in the interim other than plugging an electric heater? Don't find it humid, so don't think a dehumidifier would do much.

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-12-06 at 01:18 PM.
Old 2018-12-06, 02:23 PM
Regular User

Putting the furnace fan 'on' instead of 'auto' will help circulate the air around so that you have less of a temperature difference.

I've always found that the 2nd floor is warmer than the main floor which is warmer than the basement. I'm using an Ecobee now and I set it to 'follow me' so that it uses occupied rooms to decide what temp to have the house at. This helps somewhat, however if you are sitting around just watching the tube, you'll likely feel colder and might need something extra.
Old 2018-12-06, 03:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
Hi guys, I finished the basement, but it's cold down there. I stopped running the furnace fan from On to auto (only when furnace starts). Will this help or is it the other way around?

I like my home at 21 which makes the upstairs bedrooms warm (21+) the main floor (21) and the basement must be at like 19.

I'll be looking at a gas fireplace or something to heat up the basement. I havn't done the ceiling yet. Any other ideas of what can be done in the interim other than plugging an electric heater? Don't find it humid, so don't think a dehumidifier would do much.
You have one or more of:

Too few hot air vents
Undersized Cold Air Return and/or wrong location(s)
Inadequate insulation
Poor air sealing
Old 2018-12-06, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
You have one or more of:

Too few hot air vents
Undersized Cold Air Return and/or wrong location(s)
Inadequate insulation
Poor air sealing
Or some of your basement heating ducts aren't fully open. Make sure the dampers are all fully open. You can close your basement dampers a bit in the summer (to stop it from getting too cold) and then open them in the fall/winter.
Old 2018-12-18, 09:25 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone I think it is a combination of:

- Not enough air ducts. Will get HVAC guy to come add a run or two in basement. One of the ducts is in the small washroom and so it's really warm if someone closes the door.

- Cheap non energy efficient builder windows (it's a walkout so a lot of them).

To me the easiest solution is to shut off some of the upstairs ducts in the winter to get more hot air directed in the basement until the HVAC guy comes to modify the existing design to get more warm air downstairs.

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-12-18 at 09:27 AM.