Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-12-21, 12:09 AM

Default Where to put TV, other than above fireplace

Hi,
I have an open concept floorplan where there is a fireplace centred along the long wall of the living room (about 14' x 22') which is on one side of the house. I am having trouble deciding where to best locate the cable outlet for a TV, other than above the fireplace. I'm also trying to visualize how to best arrange furniture (i.e. sofa, chairs, maybe a sectional). Any ideas or thoughts? I've attached a snippit of the floorplan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snippit.jpg (7.0 KB, 183 views)
Old 2018-12-21, 07:44 AM
Regular User

Well, I guess one option is in the corner at right of the fireplace. If you google "corner tv stand" and check the images you will see that there are lots of options.

Unless there is a mantel above the fireplace then it is not a good idea to put a tv above it. Too much heat from the fireplace can ruin a tv and a mantel can deflect that heat away from the tv.
Old 2018-12-21, 09:13 AM
Regular User

I would place it to the side of the fireplace, not above. Televisions should be installed at eye level to reduce neck strain.

I'm assuming that the 14' width is from the edge of the island to the wall. Most people will want a walk way around the island, so the useable width of the room for furniture placement is less than 14'. The other problem is that the fireplace protruding into the room also reduces the space for furniture placement.
Old 2018-12-21, 03:03 PM
Regular User

+1 on this.

I have no idea why so many people put the TV above the fireplace. You always have to look up to see the TV. Very bad for the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
I would place it to the side of the fireplace, not above. Televisions should be installed at eye level to reduce neck strain.

I'm assuming that the 14' width is from the edge of the island to the wall. Most people will want a walk way around the island, so the useable width of the room for furniture placement is less than 14'. The other problem is that the fireplace protruding into the room also reduces the space for furniture placement.
Old 2018-12-21, 05:36 PM
Regular User

I would put it on the wall between the fireplace and the interior wall. Having it on a bracket that swings out would give you more flexibility with your furniture placement. Then just add a similar size painting on the opposite side of the fireplace (between fireplace and patio doors) to balance it out.
Old 2018-12-21, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Be sure to consider the light coming from the windows. Reflections are not a TVs friend.
Old 2018-12-24, 08:18 AM
Regular User

And don't forget the equipment that you will need for the TV. Converters, etc.
Old 2018-12-26, 10:33 AM
Regular User

I have a similar floor plan. I purchased this mount so I can drop the tv to eye level. We rarely use the FP, so it works for us.
Old 2019-01-01, 07:23 PM
Regular User

with respect to the above the fireplace being too high issue....you can always get a tv mount that swivles and bring your tv down a bit while watching it. not like youre going to have your fireplace on every single time you watch tv right.
Old 2019-01-02, 05:36 PM
Regular User

Over fireplace usually makes the most sense and unless you watch 5hrs a day, or mount it high up on the wall of a 10ft ceiling, the neck strain issue is pretty much a moot point. Also, if you ensure the proper distance away when watching you'll be fine and you won't have to contend with trying to find some other location that is inconvenient.

To each their own - good luck!