Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-14, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Default Minto Executive Townhome - Monterey

Hi all,

Wondering what folks' experience with Minto has been like - anything to pay special attention to, any upgrades worth holding off on, etc. My partner and I are about to move forward with a Townhome Purchase (Monterey model), and this will be the first new-home build experience for us both (though, we have both owned re-sale homes in the past).

We expect to get the purchase agreement tonight, and have a meeting booked with lawyers tomorrow - any tips from others who have gone through the Minto (or, other builder) process previously? Just wanting to make sure we catch anything that seems "off", and are ready to press Minto on specific points if needed.

Also interested in any points specific to the Monterey model, especially as relates to upgrades and changes to keep any eye on.

Appreciate any insight and advice you might have!
Old 2019-01-14, 06:31 PM
Regular User

Their contract will be very standard so the only thing I would recommend reading intently is the clause around the water heater rental. (This is a topic of heated discussion on this forum.) Just make sure that you are comfortable with the terms and rental pricing as some companies charge huge monthly fees and lock clients into automatic 15yr contracts! But if you're with your lawyers, they will be able to advise you if the language is vague enough for you to get out of any contract sent to you by the rental company after closing if you want to. ....the clause will be non-negotiable so it is sadly a take-it or leave-it for the house purchase.
Old 2019-01-14, 08:33 PM
Regular User

Congrats! Which community did you buy in?

Minto contract are pretty standard. And like Sarah said, make sure your comfortable with the HW rental. It’s around 40-45$ per month.
Old 2019-01-14, 11:12 PM
Regular User

Thanks for chiming in! We’re meeting with lawyers tomorrow, so I’ll make sure to take a close look at the water heater schedule. So much paperwork!

We bought in Riversbend by Harmony
Old 2019-01-15, 09:22 AM
Regular User

As your first new build, I would suggest you review the Tarion website and become familiar with the new home warranty. Understand what it does and does not cover and the Tarion warranty process itself.

A quick purview of this website should help you understand that in general, a new build home will not be delivered to you without deficiencies. The number and severity of these deficiencies can vary from builder to builder.
Old 2019-01-15, 03:49 PM
Regular User

We are currently in the building process with Minto, we are closing in two weeks. so far, i have no complaints with them. they are pretty responsive, and helpful. i always deal with the client relations contact we were assigned to, as the foreman and building staff are really busy. i found the client relations person responds almost instantly and will speak to whoever she needs to at minto to get us the right info.

design centre - we found that we were not informed about all of the options available to us for custom upgrades like cabinetry. most, but not all. it wasnt a big deal but i recommend going onto mintos site, where they post the model homes, and click on the individual model homes "features" sheet where it shows that upgrades the model homes have. this will give you a pretty good idea of what minto can do and you might catch something you missed.

i also found their design centre prices to be reasonable for the most part. we did some private/minto comparison and alot of things were relatively the same price. recommend doing this if you plan to spend the money as soon as you move in anyway. saves you the hassle and mess. we also got a discount on the upgrades for paying for them with debit.

I didn't give the water rental too much thought because i am pretty sure every new build has this in their agreement. my husband and i have owned two new build condos in the past in barrhaven, and both had the water heater rental as part of the purchase. when we sold one, it was automatically included in the sale agreement as well. I just look at it as another utility that is required for me to live comfortably.

Also, the construction staff appreciate it when you bring them a cup of coffee or whatnot if you drive by the site. We did this a few times and they were so happy. I think showing them that kind of respect and kindness will give you the same in return.

your lawyer should give you a summary of your PSA and tell you what parts are the most important for you to know about. we didnt feel like we were tricked into anything, or mislead at all in our PSA. everything is pretty meticulously laid out.

Last edited by reens09; 2019-01-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2019-01-17, 06:53 PM
Regular User

Did you guys end up buying at Riversbend?
Did you end up on a block backing to the school?

Just curious, is the area sold out yet (considering they were only building a limited amount of towns)?
Old 2019-01-18, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Thanks all for the tips and advice. We ended up not proceeding with Riversbend, and are instead waiting for Quinns Pointe 2 release. A variety of factors, including not wanting to change school zones (a surprise for us both, since we initially assumed Riversbend wouldn't require changing schools, but alas...), and liking the feel of parks, etc, in QP2, especially given the 4 year old in the household.

As of this past weekend, there were still a number of Riversbend lots available - I think most left are those backing onto the school.