Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-10-24, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Wink Do you consider the neighbourhood?

There's a lot of talk here about house models. When I was house shopping, I was much more interested in the neighbourhood. I would like to be able to walk to a park, walk to a coffee shop and other retail; be near to something natural like woods, stream, pond etc. Hiking trails are a bonus. Good parking for guests, minimum traffic jams.

What neighourhoods in Ottawa/Kanata offer all that? I feel I could live with a less than optimum house model but the neighbourhood is non-negiotable.

Do you agree? or think I'm crazy? ;-)

HL
Old 2006-10-24, 10:13 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Yes, I did consider all of that and like you, I thought that I was going crazy!

I currently live in Village green and it's pretty much what you describe: close to everything, no traffic, lots of parks, (except for hiking trails... but there are nice walk paths around a big storm water management pond, perfect with kids when you go feed the geese!). I had a really hard time finding out where to buy a single but I *think* that I made the right choice.

Take a look at jackson trails (www.jacksontrails.com), corner of hazeldean and stittsville main street. There are some nice walk path in the woods just behind the houses (conservation area so it won't disappear), a fish conservation area, storm water pond, pretty much no traffic to get in / out because it will open on both maple grove and hazeldean and from there you can access carp road, huntmar road or terry fox to go on the 417. The area will only have 500 units so it won't be like Kanata Lakes, Bridlewood or Barrhaven (hello airport noise!) where it take 10 minutes just to reach a major road!

As for proximity to retail, you've got the big retail area from Stittsville that's near by (big grocery store, 2-3 strip malls nearby) and they will be opening a little plaza on hazeldean just in front of jacksontrails with a giant tiger, dairy queen, gas station, fruit & veggies store and a few other small ones. All of that is withing walking distance.

Parking for guests: if you buy a single, they all have a 2 car garage and that leaves you room to put 2 or 4 cars in the driveway plus the room in the street in front of your house. It should be enough!

Ah, one more thing that I was extremely picky about: there is 10' between every house. I couldn't live with a house that has less 8'! There is also a "living fence" in your backyard so you wn't see your neighbours in a few years and depending on which street you buy and what you buy, your rear neighbour could be a bungalow so he won't be peeking in your backyard from his 2nd story.

After considering all of this I went and looked at what the builders offered and found out a floorplan that I really liked (along with the energy star stuff) so it was pretty much a no brainer for me.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Take a look at it and if you like what you see, send me an email or PM before you buy.

Oh, floorplans for tamarack: www.tamarackhomes.com (I bought the bristol)