Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-20, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Hey Phil, I replaced my builder supplied vanity light in my powder room and found that there was no junction box behind the vanity light fixture. It was just hardwired with a hole in the drywall. See attached pic.

Does the building code specify that light fixtures have to be attached to a junction box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_133704.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	14601  

Last edited by electricsky; 2019-01-20 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2019-01-20, 04:01 PM
Regular User

Default Draft through window and window frames and patio door ice buildups

Hello Phil,

We noticed cold draft coming inside our home from the gap between window and window frames, Also noticed frost building up in those area and on the mullion as well (pic attached)
Bottom of the patio door also getting ice build up and getting cold draft (pic attached)

Can you please suggest how can we approach our builder to fix this as this causing heat loss throughout those areas.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Family_Room_Window_ICE_Buildup(3).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	14602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Family Room_window_Left(2).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	14603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patio Door_ice build up_4.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	14604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patio Door_ice build up_1.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	14605  
Old 2019-01-21, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Hey Phil, I replaced my builder supplied vanity light in my powder room and found that there was no junction box behind the vanity light fixture. It was just hardwired with a hole in the drywall. See attached pic.

Does the building code specify that light fixtures have to be attached to a junction box?
Often builders use lights that don't require a junction box, especially in bathrooms. With my builder, it was an upgrade to have a junction box on each one.
Old 2019-01-21, 11:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Often builders use lights that don't require a junction box, especially in bathrooms. With my builder, it was an upgrade to have a junction box on each one.
Yea, I had to add junction box as an upgrade on each bathroom as well.
Old 2019-01-21, 07:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post

A separate junction box is not required when the fixture is wall mounted and where the design of the light fixture is such that the fixture serves as its own junction box. This is the case for vanity light fixtures in general. However, the fixture bottom panel needs to be securely attached to the wall.

If the light fixture is designed to be mounted to a junction box, then a junction box must be used.

I am somewhat concerned with the photo you provided. This looks like one that must be secured to a junction box. When making the wired connections, all wiring must be performed in a junction box. So if the wires are joined together using a twist-on connector [Marrette connectors] and the connectors are connectors are not fully enclosed by a suitable box, then this connection is not compliant to the Electrical Safety Code.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-01-21, 07:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuyer_2017 View Post
We noticed cold draft coming inside our home from the gap between window and window frames, Also noticed frost building up in those area and on the mullion as well (pic attached)
Bottom of the patio door also getting ice build up and getting cold draft (pic attached)

Can you please suggest how can we approach our builder to fix this as this causing heat loss throughout those areas.
Assuming you are not past your the Tarion Year-End Warranty Claim milestone, you can report each condition as air infiltration at each of the window and the patio doors.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-01-21, 11:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
A separate junction box is not required when the fixture is wall mounted and where the design of the light fixture is such that the fixture serves as its own junction box. This is the case for vanity light fixtures in general. However, the fixture bottom panel needs to be securely attached to the wall.

If the light fixture is designed to be mounted to a junction box, then a junction box must be used.

I am somewhat concerned with the photo you provided. This looks like one that must be secured to a junction box. When making the wired connections, all wiring must be performed in a junction box. So if the wires are joined together using a twist-on connector [Marrette connectors] and the connectors are connectors are not fully enclosed by a suitable box, then this connection is not compliant to the Electrical Safety Code.
Thank you for clarifying. The bracket that is in my photo is from the fixture I bought from Lowes. I have since installed a junction box myself. I found a junction box for re-work (or old work) at home depot. It was very easy to install.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.o...000408038.html

The original vanity light by the builder did not require a junction box.
Old 2019-01-22, 01:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
Assuming you are not past your the Tarion Year-End Warranty Claim milestone, you can report each condition as air infiltration at each of the window and the patio doors.
Hi Phil,
Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately we are pass 1 year. I am not sure if Air filtration would be covered under 2nd year Tarion or not. Please advise.

Also today we noticed huge chunk of ICE build up inside our HRV system (LIFEBREATH)and now its leaking water in the basement. We turned the HRV system off when it touched -30. Not sure whats causing the ICE buildups inside.Please advise.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HRV_Ice_codensation_3(1).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	14606   Click image for larger version

Name:	HRV_Ice_codensation_4(1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	14607  
Old 2019-01-25, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Our mbr, which sits above the garage is 2C colder or more. I’ve heard this to be an issue with almost all builders. Is this warrantable for the 1y Tarion?
Old 2019-01-25, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva86 View Post
Our mbr, which sits above the garage is 2C colder or more. Iíve heard this to be an issue with almost all builders. Is this warrantable for the 1y Tarion?
Pretty much everything is warrantable at the 1yr mark, it's afterward that a lot of things drop off. Good luck!