Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-04-03, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Default Anyone in Phase 8 in Findlay Creek?

We have purchased an Aspen (by Tartan) on White Alder Drive in Phase 8 of Findlay Creek.

We're looking to meet any of our neighbours - in phase 8 or not!

While we dont have a definite closing date yet (sometime nov to feb) we are really excited it move into our first home!
Old 2008-04-03, 11:16 AM
Regular User

How's the living fence in Findlay creek for the houses that are 2-3 years old? Does it seem to hide from the neighbours?
Old 2008-04-03, 11:22 AM
Regular User

From the looks of most ppls yard it doesn't look like it's doing much but then again it takes trees a long time to grow so i am not expecting much to happen in the first few years. I wonder how people are finding the upkeep?

We are lucky because we have a wood fence seperating us from our back neighbours. I think normally it's supposed to be a chain link fence
Old 2008-04-03, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Ok, thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I thought. Tamarack / Tartan say that you won't see the neighbours within 3-4 years with that "lush living fence" but I guess that it's only the case if you shut the blinds.

That just confirms my idea of going with a cedar hedge instead..
Old 2008-04-03, 02:15 PM
Regular User

we've been there going on 2 years and the living fence is pathetic. the few sticks the put in never even grew leafs, the cedars died and some of the others were 1ft tall ever greens planted 1 foot from the fence. Pure sillyness. Not sure who designed this but its by and large useless where we are. I've seen some areas grown in nicely but it seems the older areas where they put in larger trees, etc. (they couldn't have grown that much in 4-5 years).

While we are happy with the house the living fence is nothing to write home about.
Old 2008-04-03, 06:46 PM
Regular User

Greetings future neighbors! We've just bought a Phase 8 Magnolia that's to be built on Widgeon Way (which is essentially an extension of While Alder Avenue and completes the loop around the future park).

We're trying not to get too excited seeing that our closing date is TBD (ballpark April 2009). It'll be exciting to see when they actually break ground to build the streets in that phase. Right now, the drive-by is not that interesting...there's only so much bare field that you can appreciate!

We've also heard skeptical reports of the living fence. We must be on the same side of the street (south side) because we too will have a wooden fence behind us because of existing homes. So if the living fence doesn't work out so well then it's not too much of a bummer seeing that it won't really affect privacy.

Anyways, looking forward to being in there in a year or so. I'll be checking out this forum regularly to check on the updates. Take care!
Old 2008-04-03, 09:53 PM
Regular User

Could one of you take a picture of the living fence behind the model homes? I know that there won't be leaves but I'm curious to see the height of the branches. 2 years ago, there wasn't much but according to the big Tartan Land Corp boss I spoke tonight, he says that "it's wonderful" and supposed to be beautiful and hide everything.

FYI, having 50% of the trees of the living fence die in the first year is normal and expected according to him.
Old 2008-04-03, 11:38 PM
Regular User

Hi! Nice to see a few Findlay Creek people on this forum! We bought the Beckwith model from Tartan and are also on White Alder Drive!

I have friends who bought with Tartan and they been living in FC for over a year and they are very happy with their home so far.

Our closing date is also TBD, somewhere in the Dec08-Jan09 range I believe.

We also have the wooden fence at the back of our lot due to the existing homes, so we'll see what happens with the living fence. Will be nice if it lives, but if not, I'm sure we'll be planting our own things down the road anyway...

I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on our street in the next few months.....I thought they were going to start the road at the end of February, but I'm sure all of the snow has created some delays. I haven't been by lately so not sure if there's been any movement on our area yet?
Old 2008-04-04, 07:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Could one of you take a picture of the living fence behind the model homes? I know that there won't be leaves but I'm curious to see the height of the branches. 2 years ago, there wasn't much but according to the big Tartan Land Corp boss I spoke tonight, he says that "it's wonderful" and supposed to be beautiful and hide everything.

FYI, having 50% of the trees of the living fence die in the first year is normal and expected according to him.
that fence is great and of course the one everyone sees. its' also 5-6 years old and i am sure they got premium trees, etc. compared to what we got since everyone sees those and they use it as a selling point. don't be fooled, yours will be nowhere near as nice.
Old 2008-04-04, 09:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
that fence is great and of course the one everyone sees. its' also 5-6 years old and i am sure they got premium trees, etc. compared to what we got since everyone sees those and they use it as a selling point. don't be fooled, yours will be nowhere near as nice.
So the living fence also sucks in the "older" findlay creek where the houses are about the same age as the models?

3 years ago, it looked pathetic. I remember looking at the models in Findlay creek. Maybe it does grow fast after the first 2-3 years. hmm..