Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-08-29, 02:08 PM
Regular User

Default Waiting still....

Have you had any up dates from Tartan on the progress of our section?? (Other then that stupid letter we received a while back)

Is anyone else frustrated by how slowly the progress seems to be happening? I mean there was nothing in the field across the street and now it looks like there are several houses going in there (east (?) side of Bank just before FC)

Do you guys have a closing date yet? Or are we the only ones?
Old 2008-08-29, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Default Phase 8 here we come...

Hi all,

We are going back to FC tomorrow morning to have one last look at the home we have "chosen" (we've had a hard time choosing between Tartan and Tamarack; semi vs. town). Then we'll most likely be nailing it all down within the next few days. So yeah, another phase 8 Findlay Creek family here. We are seriously hoping that it'll be a closing date for the summer of 2010, rather than early 2010...keeping our fingers crossed. Later is better for us (due to a present 5-year lease).

The lot we have in mind is on White Alder Avenue, near the "future park". Block 130 most likely.

I've noticed that quite a few of you have opted for Tartan semis. Would you mind my asking which models?

The only reason we've been so undecided is becasue we prefer Tamarack for various reasons, but we've been stuck on the Tartan Magnolia. Such a hard decision...but we've finally decided to go with the Tamarack Huntington.

Look forward to joining your neighbourhood in the future.

Anita
Old 2008-08-30, 10:40 AM
Regular User

We are building on White Alder Drive as well (Tartan single). We had a meeting with Tartan last week and asked about timing. We weren't given a closing date originally, and she indicated that the road should be in within the next 2 weeks, and they would be getting permits and starting to build after that, in order of purchase. We bought somewhere in the middle, about half of the houses were purchased before us, so we won't be the first to be built.

She asked if we wanted a closing date and although we didn't really care, we signed a change order with a closing date of June 25, 2009 - however she maintained that they will built in order, so MOST LIKELY will be done in spring, before June. We'd really like to be in by May, so hopefully the permits don't present any issues, and they can get started soon!!

I'm going to take a drive down next week; she said we should start to see a lot of activity soon...

We still haven't finalized our design selections but there hasn't been a lot of pressure to do so. Our 'final' final appt (we already had one that didn't end up being final...) is Sep 18th. I've been pretty happy with the service and flexibility of Tartan to date with design changes, design selections etc. We've gone and changed some electrical choices and it was easy do to even at this stage, with no extra cost, so that was good.

Tartan said once they start building it generally takes 22-24 wks for a house to be completed.

Last edited by ureshi; 2008-08-30 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2008-08-30, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Anita, Welcome to Phase 8!!

My husband, Brian and I purchased a Tartan Semi, the Aspen Model. We are lot 79R. on white alder ave. (our street address is tentatively 644) We were one of the first ones to buy in our section - hence our long wait!

We chose Tartan partly because my parents own a Tartan. They bought a house from them in 1988 and have had no issues with it in all these years (nothing except for the standard old house issues ie new roof etc...). These days if a business can make it successfully for 20 years they must be doing something right.

We toured A LOT of model townhomes before making our choice. It was a toss up between a Richcraft town and the semi. Tartan's finished producted seemed to be more "complete" and higher end looking than some of the other builders. We were also very surprised to find out that alot of it was standard, when it would have been upgraded with another builder. Also, it occured to me one day that if we bought a town in the middle of a row, we would have to walk our lawn mower all the way around - so thats when a side yard became really important in our decision. (ya thats me speaking for my husband

All in all our experience with Tartan has been really good. We finalized all of our interior design choices back in April so now we are just waiting for things to get rolling and our house to be built. I think we are a bit of an exception, because we purchased our house in July 2007 when they had nothing going on in that section of FC. I think that with all the permit delays they have had a rough go. So that is why we have been waiting so long. (Stupid probably, but the price of our house has already gone up significantly in value, so thats why we have stayed - plus we are living DT in a place we really love!)

Honestly, my husband and i have been also thinking of buying our next house from them as well. We are thinking of up-grading to a single.

Have you seen a model of the Magnolia? They used to have one out in Rivers Bend when they were building out that way. It was a beautiful model. It is pretty close to what ours is like. We liked that kitchen so much, we actually added the extra cupboards and counter with a breakfast bar (that extends over the half wall) across the "front" of our kitchen so that it would look like the one in the Magnolia.

Good Luck with your decision!! Both builders have a good reputation, so it boils down to which model you think will be the best for your family.
Old 2008-08-30, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_JenMc View Post
Anita, Welcome to Phase 8!!

My husband, Brian and I purchased a Tartan Semi, the Aspen Model. We are lot 79R. on white alder ave. (our street address is tentatively 644) We were one of the first ones to buy in our section - hence our long wait!

We chose Tartan partly because my parents own a Tartan. They bought a house from them in 1988 and have had no issues with it in all these years (nothing except for the standard old house issues ie new roof etc...). These days if a business can make it successfully for 20 years they must be doing something right.

We toured A LOT of model townhomes before making our choice. It was a toss up between a Richcraft town and the semi. Tartan's finished producted seemed to be more "complete" and higher end looking than some of the other builders. We were also very surprised to find out that alot of it was standard, when it would have been upgraded with another builder. Also, it occured to me one day that if we bought a town in the middle of a row, we would have to walk our lawn mower all the way around - so thats when a side yard became really important in our decision. (ya thats me speaking for my husband

The side yard is definitely nice. If we go with the Huntington, we would be an end unit; therefore, we wouldn't have to walk through anyone's yard. Buuuutttttt, we'd have people walking through our yard, unless they have sheds in their back yards. But we figured it's mainly during the summer months, which as we all know, in Canada, are quite few.:-)

All in all our experience with Tartan has been really good. We finalized all of our interior design choices back in April so now we are just waiting for things to get rolling and our house to be built. I think we are a bit of an exception, because we purchased our house in July 2007 when they had nothing going on in that section of FC. I think that with all the permit delays they have had a rough go. So that is why we have been waiting so long. (Stupid probably, but the price of our house has already gone up significantly in value, so thats why we have stayed - plus we are living DT in a place we really love!)

Actually, that's smart...you could sell it in a little while, and make a nice profit. I was looking at one Tartan semi on Hillman Marsh Way that looked as though it had never been lived in and it was selling for $339,000.00. I believe it was aslo the Aspen model.

Honestly, my husband and i have been also thinking of buying our next house from them as well. We are thinking of up-grading to a single.

Have you seen a model of the Magnolia? They used to have one out in Rivers Bend when they were building out that way. It was a beautiful model. It is pretty close to what ours is like. We liked that kitchen so much, we actually added the extra cupboards and counter with a breakfast bar (that extends over the half wall) across the "front" of our kitchen so that it would look like the one in the Magnolia.

Yes, we went to see the Magnolia model in Jackson Trails and it was gorgeous. But much smaller feeling than I expected. That's the only thing that made me opt for a Tamarack townhome. When I was inside the Magnolia, it felt very small. I was disappointed becausee I had already imagined living there, where we'd put everything...lol Kinda jumped the gun there I guess.

Good Luck with your decision!! Both builders have a good reputation, so it boils down to which model you think will be the best for your family.
Thanks! We go down to FC early this afternoon to have one last look and make THE decision...

Btw, from what I've heard/noticed...there are a lot of kids in FC right? I have a 10 year old, almost 11, and she cannot WAIT to move there for that! She's also baby-crazy (oh dear!) and she cannot wait to start babysitting (once she's 12 and has her babysitting certificate from the Red Cross). I think in FC, she'll be pretty busy..

Wish me luck,

Anita
Old 2008-08-30, 08:40 PM
Regular User

Default hey

Hi All

Im a late Phase8'er.

Nice to meet you all!

Last edited by philo; 2008-08-30 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2008-08-30, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Default Very happy!

We did it! We made our decision today (Huntington townhome it is!) and put down the reservation with Tamarack. We even got the lot we were hoping for...Block 130, lot 247 on Widgeon Way. We are extremely happy with our decision and can't wait to become part of the Findlay Creek community!

Hey Philo! How late are you talking? We're phase 8 too, closing in March/April 2010.

Look forward to chatting with you all about our new homes and wonderful neighborhood!

Anita :-)
Old 2008-08-30, 11:08 PM
Regular User

we were just in today as well looking at ours...Phase 7 though, hardwood is in paint, tile, etc...The only thing left is our counters, sinks, backsplash, maybe a few touch ups here and there....and pretty much thats it. I still don't know why I am closing the end of October! Looks like it could be done in a matter of 1 week.

I think there is 1 person already moved in on our steet. I wonder how many are closing roughly the same time? There are about 40 houses in phase 7 in that 1 little block...I can't imagine us all moving in at the same time - would be kinda hectic on that 1 street. How do they normally do it, a few close each week over a couple months?
Old 2008-08-31, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Congratulations Anita! The huntington is a very nice model!

Welcome Philo!! Where abouts in Phase 8 did you buy and what model??

We were out there checking things out yesterday. It looks like there is a dirt road where the singles are going! Its so nice to finally see some progress!!

stevstevd - its weird how that one person is already living in their house! it must be noisy with all the construction!
Old 2008-08-31, 02:02 PM
Regular User

definitely weird...The whole street (bradwell way) in front of the future park is lined with those red "tomlinson" bins. They were the first to close out of that phase (I think)...I wonder who is next?

I am glad we haven't closed yet in a way, because I think thieves are still lurking around looking for copper wire in all the houses. I'd hate to be living in my house and feel like someone would try to come in thinking no one is living there!