Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Milton

Milton For residents of and soon to be residents of Milton communities. Starlane, Century Grove, Beaverhall, Greenpark, Falconcrest, Tiffany Park Homes, Heathwood Homes, Country Homes, Harkin, North Star and more.

Old 2004-01-08, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Default Moving the Washer & Dryer in the Basement

Hi Everyone,

I was just wandering if anyone has moved their washer & Dryer to a different spot in the basement. I was able to see what are basement will look like and I wanted to move it to the far side of the basement. Our plans show that it is underneath the stairs beside the furnace. Also do they put in the tub?
Old 2004-01-08, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Tubs are usually put in, yes.

As for moving it, you mean after you move in? Or getting them to do it as part of the building?

If the pipes, electricity and dryer exhaust are already in place, they will not move it, not cheaply.

If you can find Sam he MIGHT be able to get it moved. But it really depends on a lot of things, since both the electrical and the plumbing contractors would be involved.

Cannot hurt to ask him.
Old 2004-01-08, 10:14 AM
Regular User

No,

We wanted to put the washer & Dryer somewhere else in the basement after we took ownership!!
Old 2004-01-08, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Well, you can do that.. Just gotta do the plumbing, electrical and bore another hole for the dryer vent.

This may void the warranty on some stuff though. You can hire an electrician to do the electrical, and then have it inspected by ESA. You can hire a plumber to do the plumbing, but I don't know who the authorityis for that.

Boring a new hole into the foundation or the brick wall may pose a threat to parts of the Ontario New Home Warranty. I'm not sure.

You could do it all yourself, and have it inspected. I've done quite a number of electrical drops around the basement as well as some minor plumbing. Not too difficult as long as you know the standards.
Old 2004-01-08, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info... I saw the area where we will be putting to Washer & Dryer. We were thinking of building a table and cabinet in the Laundry room but it look totally different from the Basement Layout. I quess I'm going to have to contact OHWP.

Thanks again
Old 2004-01-10, 11:36 AM
Regular User

In a slightly related question.. do they install valves near the washer so we can turn it off when not in use?
One of nicole's family members had several thousand dollars worth of home renovations ruined by an upstairs washing machine that flooded their house while they were on vacation.
Old 2004-01-10, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Yes, there are taps that you connect your washer/drier to. You can turn them on/off. From what I understand, this is a building code requirement for just such a reason.