Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-03-11, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Default Benefits of Side Exit Door

Our model has an optional side door, from laundry room. We had our structural appointment and we did not mention anything, because we did not want to pay anything to get it.

I have noticed that most of the houses built by our builder, have this door, which means that builder is probably give us a door also.

We don't really see any benefit of having this door.

Is there any real benefit? Or should we ask the builder to not open a door there in our house

Thanks
Old 2014-03-11, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Just a few things, if your house has the option (paid) but you did not pay for it, it would be safe to assume that you will not receive one then. Just because other houses have this option in your neighbourhood does not mean you will receive one. Your neighbours might have simply paid for this option as you mentioned if they have one. During your structural appointment, did you notice if you had the rough in already done for the door? Either way you should clarify this with your builder.

I would personally get it done... if i am working in the backyard or outdoors and dont want to trek in dirt through the main foyer, ill use the side entrance. Similar to the man door for the garage...if you have the option, i would do it. I find it useful to be able to enter the garage through the house rather then going outside, opening the garage door to do what i need to do.
Old 2014-03-11, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Quote: