Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2014-01-09, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Get a contractor to do it afterwards?

Baseboard price is $5.93 for 16 ft
(at Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.ca/product/prim...16-feet/960352)
Old 2014-02-01, 07:14 PM
Regular User

Does anybody know if the builder uses quarter rounds or shoe moulding or door stop with upgraded baseboards?

I saw a custom built home a few days ago and they had installed the high baseboards with door stops, and they look much nicer.

We are still thinking to get upgraded baseboards from builder since they come together with bigger door trims and casings. (4800$ for the whole house)

Thanks
Old 2014-02-07, 05:39 PM
Regular User

I agree door stop looks better, blend in to the base boards. I would think if it's in the high end model home then that should be the standard for your builder. We got it with or builder.
Old 2014-02-07, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Actually it is not, but the good thing is they will charge you only 200$ extra if you decide to upgrade the quarter rounds to shoe mold ( i dont know the difference between shoe mold and door stop) lol
Old 2014-02-08, 05:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
Actually it is not, but the good thing is they will charge you only 200$ extra if you decide to upgrade the quarter rounds to shoe mold ( i dont know the difference between shoe mold and door stop) lol
It's the same thing. Different name.
Old 2014-02-08, 06:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester View Post
Get a contractor to do it afterwards?

Baseboard price is $5.93 for 16 ft
(at Home Depot - http://www.homedepot.ca/product/prim...16-feet/960352)
If you're doing the whole house, don't buy baseboard from Home Depot. It's MDF versus finger joint Pine or Poplar. You're better off to get the material from a lumber yard like Central Fairbank.

http://www.centralfairbank.com/
Old 2014-02-09, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Summer DIY for you.
Old 2014-02-09, 07:45 PM
Regular User

Thank you for all the great ideas. The reason why i am still thinking to do this with the builder is because in the same price, they include the upgraded door trims and window casings and those ones are not easy to be done later.
Old 2014-02-11, 10:03 PM
Regular User

My thoughts:

- Do it with the builder. Trim is not complicated but all the cuts plus painting it all is very time consuming! You'll be pulling your hair out after hundreds of feet of the stuff! Not to mention the time to remove and cleanup after the existing stuff.

- If you do go DIY, not sure I agree on the wood vs "cardboard". Instinctively I want "proper wood" but the composite is cheaper, more flexible, won't show any finger-joints/wood faults etc - hard to make the argument for wood in practical terms.
Old 2014-02-13, 08:33 AM
Regular User

Actually i got a quote from a contractor. To do the whole house after closing 3000$. And that does not include the door trims and window casings. Also does not include painting. So definitely this is the type of upgrade that if you want to do it, do it with the builder.
Also i got a quote for hardwood after closing. In including material, carpet removal, quarter round and labor the quote from contractor is 8000 and the quote from builder is 10000. But in my current house i installed hardwood on the bedrooms and there is a difference from the hardwood installed from builder in other areas. The biggest difference is the transition between hardwood and tiles. Builder did it much better.

So even hardwood does not look to be a big save if you do it later. I was thinking builder quote is twice higher