Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

View Poll Results: What ceiling upgrade combo would you choose?
10' for Main floor, 9' for Second floor(upgrdade) and 7'10'' for basement(upgrade) 6 60.00%
10' for Main floor, 8' for Second floor(standard) and 8'4'' for basement(upgrade) 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-12-16, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Default Ceiling Height Upgrade

HI,

I have a question regarding ceiling height upgrade. We are getting 10 ft ceiling on main floor and we can upgrade the basement ceiling from 7'10" to 8'4" or second floor ceiling from 8' to 9'. We cannot upgrade both, so which one do you thing would be a better/smarter choice.
Old 2013-12-16, 09:37 PM
Regular User

If you can mention the quotes for both options then it would be easier to decide

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2013-12-16, 09:40 PM
Regular User

I don't know the exact prices since they don't tell you until you go for décor appointment but at the time of offer, the sales person told us that basement ceiling is around 10K and second floor ceiling is around 9K
Old 2013-12-16, 09:58 PM
Regular User

If the main floor was 9' then i might hav suggested increasing the basement ht but IMO with 10' main floor, 8' second floor might look a bit awkward (too much of a difference)

progress thread
Old 2013-12-17, 08:15 AM
Regular User

I know it's a tough call
Can basement ceiling height be increased later?
Old 2013-12-17, 08:48 AM
Regular User

No. The foundation needs to be poured based on floor plan. Once it's poured, that would be final. Again, the upgrade ceiling height is an approximate, therefore, there will be deviation of inches still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
I know it's a tough call
Can basement ceiling height be increased later?
Old 2013-12-17, 08:52 AM
Regular User

To increase the height of basement will ultimately depend on what do you intend to use the space for. If you are going to make it a livable space, then I do suggest it is a good idea but then you may have to factor in added costs to finish the basement sometimes down the road, this can be in the range of $50K, depending on your finishes.

However, if you upgraded the basement ceiling and have no intention of doing anything to it, then it would seem the $ you spent is wasted. But the future resale value may be enhanced a bit.
Old 2013-12-17, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

I would upgrade the basement.

The second floor is a waste imo, most of your time on the 2nd floor is with your eyes closed, unless you sleep with your eyes open
Old 2013-12-17, 04:45 PM
Regular User

Thanks guys. One more dummy question, if you upgrade the basement ceiling, do they dig further deep or do they just go 1 more foot above the ground?
Old 2013-12-17, 04:57 PM
Regular User

Digging deep is what people normally think so its not a dummy question, thats a general perception...they go above the ground

progress thread