Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-08-24, 06:46 AM
Regular User

Default City of Ottawa driveway widening permit

Morning folks, we would like to expand the driveway and my understanding is we need to submit an application to the City to get the permit. The official name is *Private Approach Permit Application*

https://app06.ottawa.ca/online_servi...ication_en.pdf

I am just wondering if anyone has completed this application before and can answer my questions below about the *Drawing Requirements* section?

Is a copy of the house survey sufficient or do we need to provide a drawing/actual dimensions of the existing and proposed driveway, per the application? I am not very good with drawing so should I ask the contractor we are looking to hire to do so for us?

Based on your experience, how long does it normally take the City to review and approve this type of permit and I fully understand there maybe further delay this year due to COVID-19 impact.

Will the contractor also be responsible to contact Ontario One Call to locate the underground utility lines or should we do it? Or it is not necessary because there is no digging involved?

Sorry for all the questions, it's been a few years since I had to look after a landscaping project
Old 2020-08-24, 01:29 PM
Regular User

Not a driveway but a permit to the city generally follows similar guidelines...

When we submitted a sketch for our basement permit, it was hand drawn and simply included the measurements for walls, doors, windows, etc. It needed to convey what the project was going to look like so that when they approve and come out afterwards to inspect (if they do), they can confirm you adhered to the scope of the project and didn't add a 2 story building instead.

Usually the requirements will be laid out in terms of what to measure and I was able to email the city and go pick up the completed permit within 5 days. It was quite simple and straight forward. Good luck, and kudos for getting a permit...a lot of people skip that and it boggles my mind as to why!
Old 2020-08-24, 07:51 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure about the permits, but in terms of the underground locates (Ontario One Call) it's whoever is doing the actual digging that has to call it in.
Old 2020-08-27, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Thanks guys, I have an appointment to see a Client Service Centre rep on Monday so I will let you know how long it takes for the City to review and approve the permit.

Anyone has recommendations for companies laying asphalt for driveway expansion (36 feet long and 11 feet wide)? I got 1 number so far from a family member and will call to get a quote...
Old 2020-08-30, 07:34 AM
Regular User

I got a quote from Alvi Paving (they have been in business for a long time with favourable Google and BBB reviews) and it is almost $5K + HST to expand the driveway. The dimensions of the expansion is 36 feet long and 8.5 feet wide.

Not sure if that's their regular rate or more costly now, as a result of the pandemic, but I am going to call a couple more places on Monday for quotes and will make a decision after the City approves our permit.