Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-09-01, 06:49 PM
Regular User

Default Eavestrough/Gutter Installation on New Home

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding when to install eavestrough/gutters on a new construction townhome. Our block closed back in July 2020 and we are collectively interested in installing gutters.

Does anyone have any good contractors to recommend?

Also, regarding timing is it a good idea to install gutters this fall before the Winter, or should we wait next year till the Spring? I've heard that people usually wait 1 year after closing the home to install gutters (as it may void roof warranty?) Is this true?

Thanks!
Old 2020-09-02, 12:08 PM
Regular User

Don't wait! You don't want all that runoff water to freeze in the winter...do it before that!

And there are many good companies out there to select from. We used Modern Eavestroughing in the past but a quick online search will yield several to call for quotes.

Cheers!
Old 2020-09-02, 02:30 PM
Regular User

I booked with Modern in August and they’ll be here sometime in October. I called a couple of other places and they said they don’t do townhomes����*♀️
Old 2020-09-02, 03:00 PM
Regular User

We had regional do our townhouse block, gave us a good price, very professional and clean work.
Old 2020-09-03, 06:59 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! So apparently I contacted the home builder and they said they recommend waiting 1 year to install gutters as doing so beforehand would void the warranty on the first 3 rows of shingles apparently...

I’ll probably end up doing it next year then.
Old 2020-09-03, 07:28 AM
Regular User

Sure, gutters and downspouts are not a code requirement ,,,,,,,,,

but where I am in the GTA it would be unheard of for any builder to build a home without gutters and downspouts so I find it strange that builders in the Ottawa area don't provide them as a standard feature. After all, who does not want the water from the roof controlled and directed away from the home.

I do know that with the heavy snow in the area that the gutters would need to be well secured to the fascia.
Old 2020-09-03, 04:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Sure, gutters and downspouts are not a code requirement ,,,,,,,,,

but where I am in the GTA it would be unheard of for any builder to build a home without gutters and downspouts so I find it strange that builders in the Ottawa area don't provide them as a standard feature. After all, who does not want the water from the roof controlled and directed away from the home.

I do know that with the heavy snow in the area that the gutters would need to be well secured to the fascia.
We all know that builders mark up their prices. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference it would be from having the builder install the eaves vs hiring a company afterwards in the GTA.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2021-05-03, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSalfiti View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! So apparently I contacted the home builder and they said they recommend waiting 1 year to install gutters as doing so beforehand would void the warranty on the first 3 rows of shingles apparently...

I’ll probably end up doing it next year then.
did you end up waiting? Or did you get gutters installed.
Old 2021-05-05, 06:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSalfiti View Post

Also, regarding timing is it a good idea to install gutters this fall before the Winter, or should we wait next year till the Spring? I've heard that people usually wait 1 year after closing the home to install gutters (as it may void roof warranty?) Is this true?
In the fall would be a good time. This way there will be less builder activity around and the lot grading may be done.

Make sure the downspout elbows drain at least 12 inches ABOVE the ground. Not sure why but in my area the downspout companies often drain the downspout elbows right at the ground. This creates a situation where they get blocked with ice and can not drain properly.

Installing gutters does not and never will void the warranty on any new home in Ontario. In fact, in the GTA area all new homes include gutters and I have always found it strange that the homes in Ottawa do not include gutters.

But note - Often roofs need minor or major repairs done under warranty. When gutters are installed, if the roofer is sloppy, then they may be slightly scratched or dented when the roofers access the roof.
Old 2021-05-05, 08:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
In the fall would be a good time. This way there will be less builder activity around and the lot grading may be done.

Make sure the downspout elbows drain at least 12 inches ABOVE the ground. Not sure why but in my area the downspout companies often drain the downspout elbows right at the ground. This creates a situation where they get blocked with ice and can not drain properly.

Installing gutters does not and never will void the warranty on any new home in Ontario. In fact, in the GTA area all new homes include gutters and I have always found it strange that the homes in Ottawa do not include gutters.

But note - Often roofs need minor or major repairs done under warranty. When gutters are installed, if the roofer is sloppy, then they may be slightly scratched or dented when the roofers access the roof.

I just got off the phone with my builder and this is what they’ve said

“ There are no warranty issues for installing eavestrough, the only thing with eavestrough is if there is ice buildup in them it can cause ice damming on your roof. This is where the water melting off the roof is blocked by the ice buildup and backs up under the shingles and into the home. This is not covered by the builder.

If the eavestrough causes any damage to the soffit it would not be warranted.”

Basically there is no warranty issues with eavestrough themselves, but if your installer damages anything that’s on you(which makes sense), and if the gutters cause ice daming and that is what’s deemed to hve caused issues with your roof it wouldn’t be warranted.