Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-09-26, 12:30 AM

Default Painting Estimate

House is 2200 square feet and needs inside painted. Not sure how much area there is to paint, not sure how to measure or estimate cost? I need a local painter to give me a free estimate?
Old 2007-09-26, 03:09 AM
Regular User

ballpark around $2/sq foot including trim - so figure around $4.4K. more if you've got a lot of 2-storey areas.
Old 2007-09-26, 06:10 AM
Regular User

And sometime you have to take into account if you are going to prime it 1st and then apply another coat or primer if you ahve to cover a dark coloured wall. As well how many coats of paint you want to do as well.

Here's a rough estimator for the cost of just the paint if you need it:
http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/howto/paint_calculator.aspx
Old 2007-09-26, 08:57 AM
Regular User

We had a 2-storey, 4-br house with roughly similar square footage. We had the whole house painted (except 2 bedrooms) with colours recommended by an interior designer contracted by the painting company. They painted 2 coats everywhere and includes the ceiling in the kitchen and trims but no doors. The cost was $1800 so a full house for us would be just over $2K. Everyone thought it was a good deal, I was impressed with the quality and the house showed really well. We went with a good paint selection but not the best since it was for selling the house.

The other 2 estimates were over 50% more and one was almost double. The estimates vary so much that you need to get a few just to see what their offerings are. The expensive one also uses Benjamin Moore paint.
Old 2007-10-31, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Gumby,

Who painted your house? The price is amazing, I never thought it could be this cheap for all the work which got done.
Old 2007-11-01, 10:00 AM

Default Please provide contractor information

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
We had a 2-storey, 4-br house with roughly similar square footage. We had the whole house painted (except 2 bedrooms) with colours recommended by an interior designer contracted by the painting company. They painted 2 coats everywhere and includes the ceiling in the kitchen and trims but no doors. The cost was $1800 so a full house for us would be just over $2K. Everyone thought it was a good deal, I was impressed with the quality and the house showed really well. We went with a good paint selection but not the best since it was for selling the house.

The other 2 estimates were over 50% more and one was almost double. The estimates vary so much that you need to get a few just to see what their offerings are. The expensive one also uses Benjamin Moore paint.
Are you able to forward the company name and phone number?
Old 2007-11-01, 10:14 AM
Regular User

The company we used is Homecraft on Herzberg at the SE corner of Carling near the railway tracks in Kanata.
www.homecraftinc.ca

At the time they had a special for $65/room and now it is $80-$85/room but we didn't ask about it since we were looking at the whole house. We had our house painted last December.
Old 2007-11-21, 08:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
The company we used is Homecraft on Herzberg at the SE corner of Carling near the railway tracks in Kanata.
www.homecraftinc.ca

At the time they had a special for $65/room and now it is $80-$85/room but we didn't ask about it since we were looking at the whole house. We had our house painted last December.
I just want to thank you for recommending this paint company! They are over at my parent's house right now, and they are doing a great job! Their paint work is great, they are very friendly and respond quickly to any conerns we have, they dust and vacuum any room they finish, they're really great. So thank you again, I'm glad I came across this post