Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2008-06-19, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Default Sundial closings - how long was your delay?

Hi there Sundial owners! Can those who have already closed comment on how long was the delay (in total from the original closing to the day you actually moved in)? Also, they say that once the roof is up, one is about four months from closing - was this estimate true for those who have already closed?
Thanks in advance!
Old 2008-06-19, 03:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Hi there Sundial owners! Can those who have already closed comment on how long was the delay (in total from the original closing to the day you actually moved in)? Also, they say that once the roof is up, one is about four months from closing - was this estimate true for those who have already closed?
Thanks in advance!
Hi...original closing date was August 27th, 2007. Revised closing date was November 26th, 2007. Actual closing date was November 5th 2007.

We had a roof around July last summer, so yes, four months would be about accurate.
Old 2008-06-19, 06:59 PM
Regular User

When you guys say "four months when the roof is up", do you guys mean roof framing, with plywood or shingled?
Old 2008-06-19, 08:29 PM
Regular User

Getting the house up to the roof is the easy part. the hard part is the insides.
Four months is about right.

for those delayed, if its not too convenient, we'd say, dont even rush it.
Best to give the builder all the time they need to get the thing right.
When they rush it, the consequence is usually shoddy workmanship and nothing but pain and grief to get issues resolved.

If we had to do it all over again we would have probably given the builder an additional month to get it right.

bear in mind that the builder hurts also when they have to delay. They want the closing money.

We have been amazed at just how fast they have been putting up homes. i mean we just pulled thru one of the longest "snowiest" witers and look at the community.
I think the very first Sundial home closed on ferguson in October 2007. thats 9 months ago.... with most of that being a notable winter.
The speed is amazin, but the workmanship is still wanting.
Hopefully they getting better with the newer closings.
Old 2008-06-19, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista_matt View Post
Getting the house up to the roof is the easy part. the hard part is the insides.
Four months is about right.

for those delayed, if its not too convenient, we'd say, dont even rush it.
Best to give the builder all the time they need to get the thing right.
When they rush it, the consequence is usually shoddy workmanship and nothing but pain and grief to get issues resolved.

If we had to do it all over again we would have probably given the builder an additional month to get it right.

bear in mind that the builder hurts also when they have to delay. They want the closing money.

We have been amazed at just how fast they have been putting up homes. i mean we just pulled thru one of the longest "snowiest" witers and look at the community.
I think the very first Sundial home closed on ferguson in October 2007. thats 9 months ago.... with most of that being a notable winter.
The speed is amazin, but the workmanship is still wanting.
Hopefully they getting better with the newer closings.

I think even if you give them 3 mos extra to finish your house the output would be the same. You’ll just end up disappointing yourselves. This is the quality of their work and there is nothing you can do about it. It is probably on the standard but not to a good quality rating. Extra mos wouldn’t do anything, they’ll just spend it finishing somebody else’s house and wouldn’t focus on the workmanship of yours. Contractors in mass productions has only one mind set. Getting it done whether it is to the quality of what a customer would expect or not. Their goal is to deliver a so called finish product at the least amount of time. Just my opinion.
Old 2008-06-20, 10:40 AM
Regular User

The reason I am asking this question is because I want to get a rough idea whether the updated closing date is realistic given the state of construction of our home. I intend to keep asking the builder for updates, especially when I have an offer on my house, to ensure that closings are timed accurately. Was the builder forthcoming with updates on your homes?
Old 2008-06-20, 10:03 PM
Regular User

Our original closing date was Sept 4th and we received a 120 delay notice but ended up closing Nov 5th (60 days).