Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-10-28, 04:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaga View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone knows who is the supplier of hot water heaters/tanks for Mattamy. I just finished my Design Center appointment, but they couldn't give me an answer, when I asked about the type of hot water tank that will be installed in my home. I find it odd that Mattamy does not offer the option of what type of water heater the customer wants installed in his house. This means Mattamy can choose to install a very expensive tank in your house, which will incur high rental or buyout, even when you desire a less expensive one.

The Design Center usually provides three catalogues, one for model specific options, another for general design options with pricing, and the third for upgrade description. However, none of these catalogues include any information on HVAC, except the AC.
The hot water tank supplier is Cricket, That what they told me when I signed at the beginning. Also they told me they will never install a tankless in single homes

Yes I asked them in person and I sent them an email Asking them what is the brand for the HVAC, air-condition or the humidifier they said they can't provide this information because they don't know what supplier they gonna go with (Which I think will be the cheapest at the time of installing)
Old 2020-10-28, 04:56 PM

Default Bosch - Cricket Comfort - Tank Less

It is a Bosch Cricket Comfort tank less water heater in our home in Half Moon Bay West. Slower to heat the water perhaps than conventional. Believe tank less is the newer standard but I could be wrong.

-goober.
Old 2020-10-28, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Default Hot water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-Canada View Post
Double sink in the master bedroom if you are not upgrading to ensuite.
Insutlation is very useful between rooms and laundry. Yes the house will shake a little bit when trying, not the full house, you will feel the shake, which is normal. .

also Good idea to insulate the poweder room. I insultaed the garage as well and the garage door, worth it, it will keep the garage a warmer and the room above the garage wont be that cold in winter
Hello:

What kind of hot water tank did you get?
Old 2020-10-28, 05:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
It is a Bosch Cricket Comfort tank less water heater in our home in Half Moon Bay West. Slower to heat the water perhaps than conventional. Believe tank less is the newer standard but I could be wrong.

-goober.
Thanks for the information.

It was really not fair that we even did not know what type of hot water tank we will get when we were forced to sign a tied contract.
Old 2020-10-28, 08:24 PM
Regular User

I was given a choice between two tank water heaters. After I moved in, I bought it out. More expensive than getting it from a third party but it got me out of the contract.
Old 2020-10-29, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Default Please share more information

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I was given a choice between two tank water heaters. After I moved in, I bought it out. More expensive than getting it from a third party but it got me out of the contract.
That's great. I am also thinking about buying out if possible. Can you please give a little bit more information about the process? For example, were you given the choice before closing? Had it already been installed before closing or moving in? If so, if you wanted another type, did they remove the installed one and install a new one as you specified? Were you charged for the change? I heard that the buying out cost would be equivalent to more than 10 years of the rental. Was it so? Thank you!
Old 2020-10-31, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
That's great. I am also thinking about buying out if possible. Can you please give a little bit more information about the process? For example, were you given the choice before closing? Had it already been installed before closing or moving in? If so, if you wanted another type, did they remove the installed one and install a new one as you specified? Were you charged for the change? I heard that the buying out cost would be equivalent to more than 10 years of the rental. Was it so? Thank you!
The choice was made at the same time as I was picking finishes for the home. As far as I know, all homes close with a HWT installed and in Ontario it seems it's always a rental.

There are a bunch of threads here on HWT rentals and some people will say you just tear out whatever and put in what you want. I would say take a look at your agreement. In my case it said I was purchasing a home with a rental HWT.

I might have been able to convince the rental company to switch out the tank but I'm sure there would have been a cost and I really wanted to just get out of the rental.

My rental contact was for 12 years, not 10 and there was a note saying they could increase the amount during that time.

Buying out was about $2000. My rental was 28 + tax or about $3800 over 10 yrs. At my buyout rate, even if I had to replace the tank within 10 years I was ahead of the game, especially if the rental rate increased over time. The tank still has a manufacturer's warranty and they typically don't require a lot of maintenance. And I'm out of rentals forever..
Old 2020-10-31, 10:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
The choice was made at the same time as I was picking finishes for the home. As far as I know, all homes close with a HWT installed and in Ontario it seems it's always a rental.

There are a bunch of threads here on HWT rentals and some people will say you just tear out whatever and put in what you want. I would say take a look at your agreement. In my case it said I was purchasing a home with a rental HWT.

I might have been able to convince the rental company to switch out the tank but I'm sure there would have been a cost and I really wanted to just get out of the rental.

My rental contact was for 12 years, not 10 and there was a note saying they could increase the amount during that time.

Buying out was about $2000. My rental was 28 + tax or about $3800 over 10 yrs. At my buyout rate, even if I had to replace the tank within 10 years I was ahead of the game, especially if the rental rate increased over time. The tank still has a manufacturer's warranty and they typically don't require a lot of maintenance. And I'm out of rentals forever..
Thank you for sharing the information. You've got a good deal.
Old 2020-11-01, 06:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Thank you for the information. Would you share the tank model you have? I was told by Mattamy the tank that will be installed in my house will be Envirosense- Power Vent Gas, which I thought the buyout for it would be more than $2000.
Old 2020-11-01, 07:47 PM
Regular User

Default cricket

I agree with Sue if its in your sales agreement no way out of it unless you buy it. Price depends on size. We bought out ours in 2017 it is a tank unit (Envirosense) It was approx 3200 to buy out. One of my family members bought this year (Mattamy Townhouse). Their unit is tankless. Here is buy out schedule A in their sales agreement. Price keeps going up. crazy imo. $42.01 monthly plus tax is their current rental fee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123499951_971777329998463_826690449857244204_n.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	910.7 KB
ID:	14777  

Last edited by LA87; 2020-11-01 at 09:39 PM.