Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-01-28, 05:33 PM
Regular User

Default Insulation upgrades

Hi, We bought Parkside from mattamy.

Are those upgrades worth it and are they gonna make different , and What is the benefit of having extra Insulation in Powder Room. and for the garage I been told it's already insulated

Additional Batt Insulation in Garage Wall $479
Additional Batt Insulation in Garage Ceiling $271
R14 Batt Insulation in Powder Room $292
R14 Batt Insulation in Laundry Room $350
R14 Batt Insulation in Ceiling (per room) $347
R14 Batt Insulation per wall $225
Old 2020-01-28, 05:54 PM
Regular User

The exterior walls all have insulation. Only reason I can think of to insulate interior walls is for sound insulation. If that is the reason, I would use sound insulation for that (Rockwool Sane n Sound) and not ordinary batt insulation.

With the laundry room located close to the centre of the second floor you may want to consider adding sound insulation there. And, have a look at the location of the furnace in the basement as depending on location and furnace type you may hear it on the first floor.
Old 2020-01-28, 10:21 PM
Regular User

When this is done for sound absorption it is important that it is done properly leaving no voids. A half assed job will only work as well as a plastic water pail with a hole in it.

As far as the garage goes - all interior facing walls and ceiling should already be properly insulated. I guess they are offering to insulate the exterior wall which may help if you plan to turn your garage into a man-cave,,, oops,,, humankind-cave and use some sort of independent heating system to keep the garage warm.
Old 2020-01-29, 09:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
The exterior walls all have insulation. Only reason I can think of to insulate interior walls is for sound insulation. If that is the reason, I would use sound insulation for that (Rockwool Sane n Sound) and not ordinary batt insulation.

With the laundry room located close to the centre of the second floor you may want to consider adding sound insulation there. And, have a look at the location of the furnace in the basement as depending on location and furnace type you may hear it on the first floor.
Thank you for your response.

Because I don't get to pick the insulation type they have R14, and since it's not gonna do the job it's not worth it.

The Landry-room Located on the second floor above the stairs on the side of the home, Do I still need for extra insulation in this case.

The furnace is located directly under the mudroom, also the basement is not finished. So, if we just added extra insulation to the ceiling above the mechanical room, is that gonna be a better solution.
Old 2020-01-29, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Sound proofing your rooms is very difficult. There is a whole science behind it and in order to do a good job you usually have to do numerous things. Insulation, extra drywall layers, resilient channel, green glue, mass loaded vinyl, etc... And even then, unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, you will probably be disappointed. Trying to sound proof above a furnace can be very difficult given all the ducting, which sound travels through easily.
Old 2020-01-31, 01:11 PM
Regular User

I regret not insulating my laundry room, especially since it's on the 2nd floor.
Old 2020-01-31, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
I regret not insulating my laundry room, especially since it's on the 2nd floor.
Just switching the door to a solid core can help a great deal and is easy to do after the fact.
Old 2020-11-06, 09:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDream View Post
Hi, We bought Parkside from mattamy.

Are those upgrades worth it and are they gonna make different , and What is the benefit of having extra Insulation in Powder Room. and for the garage I been told it's already insulated

Additional Batt Insulation in Garage Wall $479
Additional Batt Insulation in Garage Ceiling $271
R14 Batt Insulation in Powder Room $292
R14 Batt Insulation in Laundry Room $350
R14 Batt Insulation in Ceiling (per room) $347
R14 Batt Insulation per wall $225
What was your final decision? Where did you do and where you didn't. I am now facing the same question as you did a few months ago.
Old 2020-11-07, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
What was your final decision? Where did you do and where you didn't. I am now facing the same question as you did a few months ago.
Hi

When we had our appointment we got overwhelmed with the huge number of upgrades. When we came to this our design guide said all walls have already Insulation. We asked her if it's worth it? she said I don't think you need this, it's for sound prove only and it's not gonna make that difference especially all walls insolated by code only on the garage out walls if you need to use the garage as a working or living area in the future. so we did not do any. We only upgraded to sold doors for the Master bedroom and laundry room. Honestly, till now we don't know if we did the right decision or not.

Good Luck
Old 2020-11-08, 08:26 PM
Regular User

I would be interested in knowing if they planned to use proper sound blocking insulation like rockwool or if they are just wasting every ones time and money and just using batts of fiberglass insulation.