Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2020-10-09, 12:07 AM
Madlad Madlad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau
Posts: 1
Default 9' Basements, not actually 9'?

I'm in the process of a new build bungalow.

One option offered to us was 9' basement/foundation, but as I look at the plans it doesn't appear the actual pre-finish height (top of concrete floor to underside of floor joists) will be 9'. It looks like it'll be closer 8'8" or 8'9".

The main floor is supposed to be 9' as well, and in the plans I can see the pre-finish height is 9'1", which I assume allows it to be 9' after the drywall and flooring.

I'm curious if this common/expected with Ottawa-Gatineau area builders? If not, has anyone had any experience bringing it up with the builder?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2020-10-09, 11:02 AM
xdarrylx's Avatar
xdarrylx xdarrylx is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Barrhaven, Ontario
Posts: 2,005
Default

I believe the upgrade is usually listed as approx. 12", meaning it is not an exact measurement. Provided you're not losing 6"+, I believe a small variance is acceptable per building standards.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2020-10-09, 04:54 PM
BrianT's Avatar
BrianT BrianT is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario - Orleans
Posts: 3,177
Default

I know for my basement, the I beam is about 82" above the basement floor. I have duct work that seems to be at the height as well so assuming if I ever finish my basement, I will have some ceiling that will just be a little over seven feet.
__________________
Builder: Tamarack Homes
Location: Chaperal (Orleans)
House: Avon 4E
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2020-10-13, 09:42 PM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
I believe the upgrade is usually listed as approx. 12", meaning it is not an exact measurement. Provided you're not losing 6"+, I believe a small variance is acceptable per building standards.
6 inches really? People usually pay to have ceilings raise a foot from 8 to 9 ft, and you're suggesting it's ok for a builder to only actually raise the ceiling as little as half of that? Honest question as I have not dealt with a new build myself, but anything more than an inch or maybe 1.5 inches of variance max I'd be calling the builder for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2020-10-26, 05:17 PM
coronaCRASH coronaCRASH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: ottawa
Posts: 4
Default

Its amazing what the builders get away with.
My buddy paid for a basement bathroom rough in a few years ago.....
When he had a plumber come in to do the bathroom it was one hell of a mess
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2020-10-30, 04:17 PM
gerapau's Avatar
gerapau gerapau is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
6 inches really? People usually pay to have ceilings raise a foot from 8 to 9 ft, and you're suggesting it's ok for a builder to only actually raise the ceiling as little as half of that? Honest question as I have not dealt with a new build myself, but anything more than an inch or maybe 1.5 inches of variance max I'd be calling the builder for sure.
Keep in mind that the standard 8' basement ceiling is rarely that. In homes I've owned the basement height has been between 91" and 92" from unfinished concrete slab to the floor joists. And 82" or 83" under I-beams or heating ducts. So if you pay the upgrade and get 8'8" then you are getting an extra foot.

In my current house I didn't think I'd ever finish my basement so didn't pay the upgrade. Well, we did decide to finish it and while I love the results I do wish I had paid for the higher ceilings.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2020-10-31, 08:55 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 790
Default

When 9 foot walls are required the vertical studs used are 104 1/2 inches long. This is 3 1/2 inches less than 9 feet. When a top and bottom plate is added then the wall height still ends up to be 1/2 inch short of 9 feet.

Minor variables are allowed in construction. Believe it or not, many homes are not perfectly level, some walls are not perfectly straight, etc.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2020-10-31, 12:15 PM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
When 9 foot walls are required the vertical studs used are 104 1/2 inches long. This is 3 1/2 inches less than 9 feet. When a top and bottom plate is added then the wall height still ends up to be 1/2 inch short of 9 feet.

Minor variables are allowed in construction. Believe it or not, many homes are not perfectly level, some walls are not perfectly straight, etc.
Ya this seems completely reasonable. A half inch, even an inch or two in variance.

And yes I have seen many walls that are not even close to straight, you only notice where they touch down on some tiles, and where the corners meet the floor, then you see that it's really not even remotely close to perpendicular in some instances!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2020-10-31, 12:21 PM
HMBTUX HMBTUX is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
Keep in mind that the standard 8' basement ceiling is rarely that. In homes I've owned the basement height has been between 91" and 92" from unfinished concrete slab to the floor joists. And 82" or 83" under I-beams or heating ducts. So if you pay the upgrade and get 8'8" then you are getting an extra foot.

In my current house I didn't think I'd ever finish my basement so didn't pay the upgrade. Well, we did decide to finish it and while I love the results I do wish I had paid for the higher ceilings.
Well I suppose if you're paying for an extra foot and still get that extra foot it's not so bad, but it still seems that advertising something that is in reality not even close to 9 ft as such is a bit unreasonable.

FWIW I have closer to 10 ft ceilings in my bsmt as well as 9 ft ceilings on both main and upper floor and yes it makes a big difference, we are waiting until the kids are a bit older to finish the bsmt but we use the room daily as is and whenever any visitors go down there they say it doesn't even feel like a bsmt. Well worth the upgrade cost, we have lots of ideas for when it comes time to finish, one option being a golf simulator as you can do a full swing with no worries!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Penguin Basements Mtm Burlington 2 2013-07-02 09:50 AM
Check your basements everyone! VolgaOwner Burlington 2 2011-05-29 11:50 AM
Sundial Basements icg Burlington 5 2007-10-18 12:02 PM
Basements Max&Marley Burlington 14 2007-09-13 06:06 PM
digging basements and foundations jomar Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 3 2004-10-15 11:39 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.