Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2020-11-16, 05:40 PM
Regular User

Just got back from the site with the engineers. Foundation was dug 18 inches too deep per the engineering drawings. It looks as though what happened was the surveyor and excavator went off intermediary plans. When our permit was issued the city had the engineers raise the grade by 18 inches to match the subdivision. The engineers did it, and that’s what’s reflected on the City-stamped plans. The builder admits either they neglected to provide the final plans or else the surveyor used the wrong ones. Probably the former.

We’re trying to figure out where this leaves us. Engineers now are redoing the grading plan but the senior engineer (who I really respected) said “I’ll be honest. Your plan at this point is you pump. You make sure your sump is always working, and from what I see it won’t run 24/7 so don’t worry about that. But you make sure it is always working.” And then when the builder rep was talking on the phone he turned to me and said “and you ask them for compensation to pay for that and more.”

My wife is slightly inconsolable right now. I’m staying calm and just waiting to see what the engineers come back with and determined to figure it out.

I wish we could just tear it back out to the pit and start over but that’s unlikely eh. Foundation plus first floor mostly framed. Ugh. I know they’d never do that.

Building sucks.
Old 2020-11-16, 07:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Just got back from the site with the engineers. Foundation was dug 18 inches too deep per the engineering drawings. It looks as though what happened was the surveyor and excavator went off intermediary plans. When our permit was issued the city had the engineers raise the grade by 18 inches to match the subdivision. The engineers did it, and thatís whatís reflected on the City-stamped plans. The builder admits either they neglected to provide the final plans or else the surveyor used the wrong ones. Probably the former.

Weíre trying to figure out where this leaves us. Engineers now are redoing the grading plan but the senior engineer (who I really respected) said ďIíll be honest. Your plan at this point is you pump. You make sure your sump is always working, and from what I see it wonít run 24/7 so donít worry about that. But you make sure it is always working.Ē And then when the builder rep was talking on the phone he turned to me and said ďand you ask them for compensation to pay for that and more.Ē

My wife is slightly inconsolable right now. Iím staying calm and just waiting to see what the engineers come back with and determined to figure it out.

I wish we could just tear it back out to the pit and start over but thatís unlikely eh. Foundation plus first floor mostly framed. Ugh. I know theyíd never do that.

Building sucks.
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but now that everything is documented, would you even be able to get insurance to cover potential water damage in the future? You likely would have to disclose this for a future sale which would reduce your property value. I would take that into consideration when you're discussing compensation with the builder.

Chad

Chad
Old 2020-11-16, 08:08 PM
Regular User

a proper sump pump will clear that amount of water PDQ, but it does look like there's either a general water table issue or an underground spring/waterway that will need to be addressed. if you can address it with grading (ie: cut it off) that will be better than running a pump. my inlaw's sump pump ran constantly until their neighbour put in a bigger house, and in the process cut off the underground creek that flowed across their property. now the neighbour pays for the groundwater pumping and my inlaws' sump is dry.
Old 2020-11-16, 08:41 PM
Regular User

One glimmer of hope it that the water in the basement in the photos is below the top of the foundation footing.
Old 2020-11-16, 09:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
One glimmer of hope it that the water in the basement in the photos is below the top of the foundation footing.
Itís unfortunately been higher in the past, once peeking above the footings. But it was after quite a lot of rain and after filling the garage with sand, where there had been a fair bit of water.

Not sure what we can reasonably do at this point but Iím meeting with our GC tomorrow AM.

The situation continues to develop but Iíll wait until I know facts before posting more about it. Thereís so much inconsistency between what was submitted to the city, what they stamped, what was returned to us with the permit, etc. Gahhh!
Old 2020-11-21, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Having been part of hundreds of custom homes and many of which we do the alarm systems in, here is my 2 cents:

1) Get a good pump (as mentioned above)

2) Absolutely, positively get a backup pump in the same pit. Usually these sit a bit higher than the main pump so that it runs second.

3) Get a battery backup for these pumps.

4) Get a sump pump float for your alarm system in the pit. If the water gets too high it will alert you like a regular alarm. This has saved a lot of our clients.

We did a house over the summer where even during construction the sump pit was filling every 3 minutes and running the pump. House is now finished and there now 2 pits and 4 pumps at this house with battery backups and a generator.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/