Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2011-07-16, 01:11 PM

Default Wiring appointment for cable and phone jacks

Hello, I will have an Wiring appointment soon. What do I need to know ahead of time? Any experience to share with me? My builder is Fernbrook Homes

Thanks

Atlantic

Last edited by atlantic2003; 2011-07-16 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2011-07-16, 10:00 PM
Administrator

What do you want to do?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-07-17, 04:33 PM
Regular User

Default Wiring appointment

This appointment is with a third party - they are contracted by Fernbrook to install your TV , Internet central vac and telephone wiring and ducts. This appointment has nothing to do with the electricity, switches, receptacles or lights in the new house.
The appointment is to determine where you want to have your outlets as well as to try and UPSELL you for:
- Home alarm system and monthly service plan (Free install with 3 year contract)
- Buy a central vac from them
- install conduits - basement to first, and basement to second floor
- install whole home speaker system

The appointment is not at your new house, it's in one of the models.
I stood around for ages in the first model, only to finally be told the lady was waiting for me in the second model. She's very nice (<name removed> was the lady I worked with) by the way - and not pushy. She must however be on commission... tough job!

Irene

Last edited by GregS; 2011-07-18 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something!
Old 2011-07-18, 09:01 AM
Regular User

I strongly recommend getting everything very clearly written into your agreement when you sign ... for example the length of the contract for the home security system, monthly fees, what the deposit goes toward (ie. the first fee months of your service), payment schedules ... .. etc ..

there were quite a few discrepancies between what is in the printed doc they have you sign vs what was verbally explained to us ... we caught the differences after we signed and went home .... and only after a couple of contacts did they send over an amendment about them ....

even after closing i had to call as they were about to charge fees annually instead of the agreed upon monthly ....
Old 2011-07-18, 09:31 AM
Regular User

watch the contract lenght for the alarm, they claim its 3 years but the contract is written up as 5, a few of my neighbours got caught in the longer contract.
Old 2011-07-18, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieandbart View Post
watch the contract lenght for the alarm, they claim its 3 years but the contract is written up as 5, a few of my neighbours got caught in the longer contract.
We had went through a lengthy process to get our contract length corrected. They finally emailed me to confirm the length is 3 years. Now I have this saved in case any arguments comes up when the 3 year contract expires.
Old 2011-07-18, 01:10 PM

Default Thanks for all input

Hi All,

Thanks for your precious inputs. Any body has comments on their alarm service or any suggestion for alternative supplier?

If we want a Satellites dish in future, any suggestion now?

Best regards,
Old 2011-07-18, 02:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantic2003 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your precious inputs. Any body has comments on their alarm service or any suggestion for alternative supplier?

If we want a Satellites dish in future, any suggestion now?

Best regards,
Putting the sneakiness of the contract aside, the alarm service itself has been satisfactory. The day after the installation, we had 2 false alarms due to the motion detector. They sent someone in to address the problem right away on the same day. The service tech actually replaced the detector and most of the wiring in the basement. However, he really didn't know what the heck he was doing. He pulled all the old wires out and then re-pulled all the new wires. It must have took him over an hour trying to fish this one wire up to our motion detector on the main level. I ended up assisting him in doing so. He should of simply pull the new wire using the old wire...

Last edited by felixw; 2011-07-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 07:31 PM

I am currently a customer of this alarm company and has been since 2008. I got signed up with them when we purchased our first FB home here in Alton Village. I have been recently having problems with them, their techs are not knowledgeable at all, they sub contract the monitoring by the sounds of it. Apparently i can't send a signal to the monitoring station from my alarm panel, so they are suggesting its my long distance provider !! As their station is a (416) area code and for us (905)'er we have to dial 1. So not only does it not work, but if my alarm goes off i get charged LD haha

Anyways..we have our appointment with <name removed> next week for the new house tel/tv locations, won't be buying alarm with them.. Any suggestions for an alternative alarm company ???

Last edited by GregS; 2011-07-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:25 PM
Administrator

There are only a handful of monitoring companies in Ontario. Every alarm installer will utilize one of them.

As for the long distance thing, that can be an issue, however every alarm install I have done I program in both a local and a toll free 1-800 number for the system to call.

As for LD, if that does happen, the average connection time for an alarm panel is about 12 seconds.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/