Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-10-23, 08:12 AM
Regular User

Default Home Theatre Speaker Set-up

Hi,

My framing/electrical design appointment is coming up and I would appreciate some advice on what I should request in terms of speaker wiring/location for my basement rec room.

My basement layout is attached. I am planning on putting my TV against the wall that separates the laundry/utility room, with the seating on the opposing wall. I currently have a 5.0 system, with rear speakers mounted on stands.

At a minimum, I will request that wiring for the rear speakers be run to the back wall and would like to eventually mount in-wall speakers.

What would be the ideal set-up in terms of location (height, distance, etc.) for the rear speakers? Until I purchase the in-wall speakers, how should I set up the existing speakers? In my current rec room they are directly behind the couch, but the couch doesn't back onto a wall. In the new place, should I move the couch out by a foot or so and put them behind? Or perhaps put the speakers on the side? I'm confused as to the best approach.

Also, is it a PITA to install in-wall speakers after the walls are finished? Any other things I should consider?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manhattan Basement.jpg (6.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 2008-10-23, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Speaker height should always be at ear level while seated. Above that and it just fires over your head.

What I usually do if I know the speakers are going to be hung on the wall is back them with 2x6's between the studs to give it some extra structure.

If they are going to be inwall speakers, I prefer to put speaker brackets up with vapour boxes. Then the drywallers cut around the brackets giving exact placement.

Installing inwall speakers afterwards isn't usually a problem, it's just you may not always be able to get them exactly where you want, or there may be some sort of structure in the way.

Don't forget the subwoofer.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/