Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-21, 09:29 AM
Regular User

Default Built-in Microwave

Does anyone currently have a built-in microwave? As far as I can see they are simply a microwave with a trim kit. I did not want the simple microwave shelf so opted for the cabinet which will accomodate a "built-in" microwave. I must say that after my initial online shopping it looks like I will be spending around $1000 for a microwave!! ouch!

Please chime in if you have any comments about built-in microwaves...
- do you have a picture of your own that you could share?
- do you know of a good place to buy one in Ottawa?
- do you have feedback +or- about a unit you have/had?
Old 2010-10-21, 09:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg611999 View Post
Does anyone currently have a built-in microwave? As far as I can see they are simply a microwave with a trim kit. I did not want the simple microwave shelf so opted for the cabinet which will accomodate a "built-in" microwave. I must say that after my initial online shopping it looks like I will be spending around $1000 for a microwave!! ouch!

Please chime in if you have any comments about built-in microwaves...
- do you have a picture of your own that you could share?
- do you know of a good place to buy one in Ottawa?
- do you have feedback +or- about a unit you have/had?
Hey, there a few options. Do you want a built-in oven with that. If yes, KichenAid had an Oven-Microwave combo.

Best place to buy, to me it's Sears cause they do price match + 10%.

But you can start looking @ Universal appliances, Dufresne, Bricks, Corbeil, etc.. and Brault and Martineau in Gatineau.

Hope this help a little.
Old 2010-10-21, 09:46 AM
Regular User

There is a model home in HMB, Mattamy, that had a built in microwave. I almost did it but I felt the price wasn't worth it.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-10-21, 10:31 AM
Regular User

We are going to do it for our microwave. We have a sharp convection microwave, and as it will be too big for the top cabinet, we are going to try and have it built into the island. Sharp has kit that can be used to put it into the wall. I haven't called them yet to ask how much they charge, but I've seen it on the web for about 125-150, which is reasonable.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-10-21, 10:35 AM
Regular User

Besides the obvious cost difference, as an IT guy, I always think of this ... SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE ...

ie. if the microwave goes, does it leave you without a hood fan, as well, if the Microwave goes, do you need a new hood fan as well.

Personally, seeing what a top of the line hood fan costs, as well as a jazzy microwave, I don't see the benefit of putting the two together besides the asthetic. If that's the key issue here, then definitely a no brainer - get the built in. If you're looking for bang for the buck and mitigation of risk, I would definitely avoid that option.

Old 2010-10-21, 10:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister7 View Post
Besides the obvious cost difference, as an IT guy, I always think of this ... SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE ...

ie. if the microwave goes, does it leave you without a hood fan, as well, if the Microwave goes, do you need a new hood fan as well.

Personally, seeing what a top of the line hood fan costs, as well as a jazzy microwave, I don't see the benefit of putting the two together besides the asthetic. If that's the key issue here, then definitely a no brainer - get the built in. If you're looking for bang for the buck and mitigation of risk, I would definitely avoid that option.
A built-in microwave and an over the range microwave are different. The OP is talking about a built-in microwave which does not go over the range but is built into the wall somewhere else in the kitchen.
Old 2010-10-21, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
A built-in microwave and an over the range microwave are different. The OP is talking about a built-in microwave which does not go over the range but is built into the wall somewhere else in the kitchen.
AH, my bad. Still in the end, the choice is looks vs price. If you want the look and it's worth the cost, go for it. It's definitely not for me, but I'm as cheap as they come.

Old 2010-10-21, 02:02 PM
Regular User

You normally want the built-in MW to match the built-in oven. So ours is this one from Ikea..

It does its job but it's hard to read the settings/choices.
Old 2010-10-21, 09:26 PM
Regular User

This is one upgrade we did. Tartan installs a standard microwave/hood fan combo but we didn't want it. We upgraded the hood fan to a chimney style, and opted to have them build-in the microwave into our pantry space (still trying to determine if that was the right location for it).
Ours is a countertop model, but has a trim kit available. I may just leave it in there without shelling out the extra bucks for the trim kit (its almost as expensive as the microwave itself!).
I'm against microwave shelves, that's why we went with this option - was it worth the $400? I don't know yet...

The unit we purchased is the Panasonic Inverter. Brault & Martineau (actually, any Canadian retailer) wanted $399 for this; we bought it for $199 USD at Best Buy in Watertown.

Here's a pic of both the microwave, as well as an example of how the pantry/built-in will look (kinda... this is not our kitchen layout)

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2010-10-21 at 09:29 PM. Reason: pics too big!
Old 2010-10-21, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Forgot to include a photo of the built-in MW and built-in wall oven. Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW oven combo.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	7128