Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2015-03-11, 09:11 PM
Regular User

We just got the same call, too. Going to be a long and stressful 4 hours, I'm sure.

Did you end up doing any structural upgrades? We bit the bullet and upgraded the basement ceiling height.
Old 2015-03-12, 09:20 AM
Regular User

That's awesome, I'm sure it will look really good! We couldn't justify the added expense. It was just way too much money. And we also didn't want to risk adding more steps to the entrances, especially to the garage door or risk losing the side door because of grading.

we will be finalizing our structural decisions this weekend and our decor selections next week. We will likely be adding 200amp service at a minimum and maybe the gas ready option but have a couple of questions regarding the furnace upgrade and some prices for nice to haves such as 8' doors and 2nd floor smooth ceilings.

Have you settled on your appliances? Or atleast what size/type you will be getting?
Old 2015-03-12, 11:01 AM
Regular User

At the end of the day, we figured the basement height was really the only change that you can just never do again after the house is built. So we're going to take some of the other stuff off the list to help the budget and if we decide we need that stuff later, it'll all still be doable down the line one way or another.

As for the grading, it was definitely a concern for us as well, but our house model easily allows for an extra step to be put into the laundry room, so the builder is confident that we're fine in that department. Although, they are pretty sure that we will need a deck now in the back of our house as the door will be too high off the ground to just put steps (included along with the basement upgrade cost).

The gas ready and the smooth second floor ceilings were things we were considering, but they're both out now. As for the furnace upgrade, I was never convinced that we needed it, but it was something else we had put some thought into, but not anymore.

As for appliances, we have selected a few possibilities based on our research, but we haven't done any serious shopping yet. I am leaning towards going Samsung / LG. The fridge will definitely be counter depth though, and the microwave will be over the range. I was under the impression that we did not need to know the specific appliances for this appointment (I specifically asked the Colours and Concepts person when she called), but the email regarding the appointment does say that we need to know our appliances before going in. My wife and I are going to start shopping around this weekend.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2015-03-12, 04:03 PM
Regular User

The lady we spoke to said that if we planned to do any built in appliances (ovens or microwave or cooktop) that they needed the specs and dimensions at the appointment in order to price the counter and electrical changes. I like the idea of a cook top with a built in oven but it's almost double the price of a one piece unit. I think our appliance selection will be fairly standard (nothing fancy) but will probably still end up costing a fair bit. Any appliance stores you have in mind? We are thinking of visiting the brick and sears this weekend as a starting point.
Old 2015-03-12, 10:46 PM
Regular User

I just noticed that we had planned to get a slide in range, but the color selection appointment email says that there's an extra cost for that. So that and the over the range microwave should be our only appliance changes. Hopefully the slide in range isn't priced too high.

My wife and I just got back from Sears and the Brick ourselves. We've pretty much picked out what we think we're going to buy, it's just a matter of finding a good price now.

Caplan's Appliances, Appliance Canada, and Canadian Appliance Source are all stores we plan to check out on pricing.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 10:09 PM.
Old 2015-03-13, 10:38 AM
Regular User

We are looking at a slide in stove as well. still deciding between a glass top or gas one tho. I think the only thing different is they need to add a piece of counter behind the stove. Hopefully they don't charge too much for the change.

Are you leaning towards one manufacturer for all your appliances or mixing and matching based on price? We've heard Samsung for most appliances is good, Jenn-Air is a bit better but more expensive. I haven't had too many bad experiences with any brands but still doing research.
Old 2015-03-13, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Yes, I hope it's not too expensive. I just sent the decor person an email inquiring and I'll let you know.

As of now, it looks like we are going fully Samsung. I considered mixing and matching, but it's just easier this way to ensure all the appliances match well.

Edit: $700 for the slide in stove.

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 2015-03-13, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
This room has been giving me nightmares since I saw the floorplan. If you commit to the TV above the fireplace, like you said, it might be unwatchable (or nearly so, my poor neck!). However, I am more concerned that the room would not look right with the TV on the other wall. Not to mention furniture layout issues - the room would only be wide enough for a single couch and maybe one chair to face the TV. Either way I think we have to commit to the conduit as if we don't do it now and decide the fireplace is the way to go, we'd be in trouble.
I've already finished my deal and upgrades, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I'd ask the developer to move the back wall out 2-4 feet from the current 12-13 feet to give the family room and kitchen more width. I only saw some other people did this after looking at this forum, so thought I'd pass it along.

Its very expensive (probably more than upgrading the ceiling height), but the developers are more flexible during the offer stage, so doesn't hurt to ask.

I didn't even know it was possible, so didn't bother asking. But its something that you'll never be able to do afterwords (like ceiling height) and will use day in and day out.

My two cents.
Old 2015-03-13, 01:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peidyt27 View Post
I've already finished my deal and upgrades, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I'd ask the developer to move the back wall out 2-4 feet from the current 12-13 feet to give the family room and kitchen more width. I only saw some other people did this after looking at this forum, so thought I'd pass it along.
While that is definitely an interesting idea (and as you said, I'm sure it's very expensive), our house floor plan has the family room with the long wall along the side of the house, so you'd have to increase the width of the house instead of the length if you wanted to solve the problem. Obviously that's something you don't want to do, and probably can't anyways. In other floor plans, that is definitely something you could do to mitigate that issue. I've also been looking into a pull down TV mount to help deal with the issue, but these are kinda tacky and expensive.

Sensfan, one of the other things I've noticed is that in different models, the washer and dryer might be swapped around. Not to mention on the mirrored houses, the left/right orientation is also changed. Be careful that when you buy your washer/dryer combo that they either have the doors swing the right way, or that they have reversible doors (most dryers do, but many washers do not).

Last edited by TheLastOne; 2015-03-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 2015-03-13, 02:57 PM
Regular User

700$ for a tiny piece of counter behind the stove? *sigh*... I guess it's good we aren't doing too many major changes to the kitchen or appliances. I've heard there is a charge too if we want to have the island a different cabinet colour. Not sure how much yet.

Good point about the washer dryer orientation. Will keep that in mind.

As for increasing the width of the room, it can't be accommodated at all. We asked if even the fireplace could be flush with the wall to give us 6-8 more inches and have a boxout on the exterior but it reduces the distance between the neighbouring house and would not allow sufficient space to walk/mow the lawn once a fence is put up. I'm still not sure where to put the TV in that room....