Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2009-11-20, 03:29 PM
jobalbz jobalbz is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario/Kanata
Posts: 54
Default Wrong color of roof shingles!

The builder put a wrong color of roof shingles. I emailed my CCC with an attached picture of the exterior color package that we've selected. They admitted that they made an error for showing me the upgraded exterior color package and they are not gonna change the roof. If im willing to pay the upgrade which will cost us an extra 2.4K, they will change the shingle. It's funny how everything else in that color package is correct but the roof shingle. Is there a price difference between an Oakwood and Weathered Gray shingles? it's very frustrating because it's the color of the shingles (weathered gray) that got us to this color package.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2009-11-20, 03:53 PM
93GTCANADA 93GTCANADA is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orleans
Posts: 339
Default

call tarion. and your lawyer. it is their mistake they should own up to it. which builder is this ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2009-11-20, 07:06 PM
Fingers Fingers is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Default

Was your colour package written in a contract?

I'm sorry, but since when is hardship and inconvenience an acceptable excuse for not fulfilling a contract?

Let me guess who the builder is...
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2009-11-20, 11:54 PM
jobalbz jobalbz is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario/Kanata
Posts: 54
Default

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely escalate this problem to next level if its not resolved. but really.. how common is this error? somehow, builders are shielded with the fine prints in the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2009-11-21, 08:50 AM
dbleber dbleber is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 351
Default

You really picked your colour package based on the shingles? I don't even notice the colour of shingles on a home unless the are an odd colour like pink or something. My bet is that you won't even notice it after a few days. This probably falls under the reasonable substitution clause of your contract and your probably SOL. Not a major thing imo, if the roof wasn't shingled properly then I'd be worried. I certainly don't think this falls under hardship, maybe a small inconvenience.

Last edited by dbleber; 2009-11-21 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2009-11-22, 04:35 AM
Fingers Fingers is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
You really picked your colour package based on the shingles? I don't even notice the colour of shingles on a home unless the are an odd colour like pink or something. My bet is that you won't even notice it after a few days. This probably falls under the reasonable substitution clause of your contract and your probably SOL. Not a major thing imo, if the roof wasn't shingled properly then I'd be worried. I certainly don't think this falls under hardship, maybe a small inconvenience.
Uhh no. Reasonable substitution covers inavailability of materials. This is lack of quality control/communication. This is not the product the customer paid for, and is substantially different in appearance. Exactly how acceptable is this difference? Well, its up to the homeowner -- not Captain Savemattamy.

You should not be settling for anything. And the hardship and inconvenience mentioned above was reference to changing the roof colour. The builder is not fulfilling their contract. They made a mistake, they have to make it right. The hardship and inconvenience of changing the roof colour is not an acceptable excuse for not meeting their end.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2009-11-22, 06:49 AM
golfer golfer is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobalbz View Post
The builder put a wrong color of roof shingles. I emailed my CCC with an attached picture of the exterior color package that we've selected. They admitted that they made an error for showing me the upgraded exterior color package and they are not gonna change the roof. If im willing to pay the upgrade which will cost us an extra 2.4K, they will change the shingle. It's funny how everything else in that color package is correct but the roof shingle. Is there a price difference between an Oakwood and Weathered Gray shingles? it's very frustrating because it's the color of the shingles (weathered gray) that got us to this color package.
IMO, this is a good mistake. Stay with the Oakwood.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2009-11-22, 01:44 PM
Jillian Jillian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanata
Posts: 6
Default

My builder is Urbandale. They did excatly the same thing to my new home. I picked the color called "Charcoal" for my shingle. But they put "weathered gray" instead. I questioned them. They admitted the mistakes and gave me $4K design center bouns instead. Because my brick is wyndham gray, the weathered gay shingle looks not too too bad. I think you should talk with them again. Showing you the upgrade shingle was their mistake, and they should ask you to go their office to re-select the default shingle, not did it for you without any notice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2009-11-22, 02:13 PM
dbleber dbleber is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 351
Default

Well in this particular case we actually agree on one thing, they should get what they paid for. the shingles they wanted is an upgrade for which they did not pay for, regardless if they were shown a package with them or not. I don't see how the builder should pay for a re-roofing job and an upgrade for shingles on something they didn't actually pay for. That would be in their purchase agreement. You either paid for them or not.

My main point was that shingles are not going to make or break your home unless they are completely off. How you feel that you need to make it into a case for the supreme court is beyond me.

Don't see what Mattamy has to do with it, I don't think they mentioned their builder I actually thought it was a Tartan or Tamarack house from reading it the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Uhh no. Reasonable substitution covers inavailability of materials. This is lack of quality control/communication. This is not the product the customer paid for, and is substantially different in appearance. Exactly how acceptable is this difference? Well, its up to the homeowner -- not Captain Savemattamy.

You should not be settling for anything. And the hardship and inconvenience mentioned above was reference to changing the roof colour. The builder is not fulfilling their contract. They made a mistake, they have to make it right. The hardship and inconvenience of changing the roof colour is not an acceptable excuse for not meeting their end.

Last edited by dbleber; 2009-11-22 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2009-11-22, 06:57 PM
mom2philip's Avatar
mom2philip mom2philip is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jackson Trails
Posts: 1,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
Don't see what Mattamy has to do with it, I don't think they mentioned their builder I actually thought it was a Tartan or Tamarack house from reading it the first time.
Can't blame Tartan or Tamarack it's definitely a Mattamy home!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color Selection - Mission Accomplished M&H Ottawa 5 2008-11-25 12:55 PM
Shingles R.F.D. Burlington 6 2008-11-01 04:02 PM
Brick Color - Boxgrove Starlane itsy Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan 2 2008-03-11 11:02 PM
Roof Structure -- The Parts of Roof Covering iku Ottawa 8 2008-01-20 07:10 AM
Roof + No Shingles = Water Puddles Alan & Yadira Milton - Hollybank 8 2006-11-20 09:59 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.