Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-11-20, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Default Wrong color of roof shingles!

The builder put a wrong color of roof shingles. I emailed my CCC with an attached picture of the exterior color package that we've selected. They admitted that they made an error for showing me the upgraded exterior color package and they are not gonna change the roof. If im willing to pay the upgrade which will cost us an extra 2.4K, they will change the shingle. It's funny how everything else in that color package is correct but the roof shingle. Is there a price difference between an Oakwood and Weathered Gray shingles? it's very frustrating because it's the color of the shingles (weathered gray) that got us to this color package.
Old 2009-11-20, 03:53 PM
Regular User

call tarion. and your lawyer. it is their mistake they should own up to it. which builder is this ?
Old 2009-11-20, 07:06 PM
Regular User

Was your colour package written in a contract?

I'm sorry, but since when is hardship and inconvenience an acceptable excuse for not fulfilling a contract?

Let me guess who the builder is...

Old 2009-11-20, 11:54 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely escalate this problem to next level if its not resolved. but really.. how common is this error? somehow, builders are shielded with the fine prints in the contract.
Old 2009-11-21, 08:50 AM
Regular User

You really picked your colour package based on the shingles? I don't even notice the colour of shingles on a home unless the are an odd colour like pink or something. My bet is that you won't even notice it after a few days. This probably falls under the reasonable substitution clause of your contract and your probably SOL. Not a major thing imo, if the roof wasn't shingled properly then I'd be worried. I certainly don't think this falls under hardship, maybe a small inconvenience.

Last edited by dbleber; 2009-11-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2009-11-22, 04:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
You really picked your colour package based on the shingles? I don't even notice the colour of shingles on a home unless the are an odd colour like pink or something. My bet is that you won't even notice it after a few days. This probably falls under the reasonable substitution clause of your contract and your probably SOL. Not a major thing imo, if the roof wasn't shingled properly then I'd be worried. I certainly don't think this falls under hardship, maybe a small inconvenience.
Uhh no. Reasonable substitution covers inavailability of materials. This is lack of quality control/communication. This is not the product the customer paid for, and is substantially different in appearance. Exactly how acceptable is this difference? Well, its up to the homeowner -- not Captain Savemattamy.

You should not be settling for anything. And the hardship and inconvenience mentioned above was reference to changing the roof colour. The builder is not fulfilling their contract. They made a mistake, they have to make it right. The hardship and inconvenience of changing the roof colour is not an acceptable excuse for not meeting their end.

Old 2009-11-22, 06:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobalbz View Post
The builder put a wrong color of roof shingles. I emailed my CCC with an attached picture of the exterior color package that we've selected. They admitted that they made an error for showing me the upgraded exterior color package and they are not gonna change the roof. If im willing to pay the upgrade which will cost us an extra 2.4K, they will change the shingle. It's funny how everything else in that color package is correct but the roof shingle. Is there a price difference between an Oakwood and Weathered Gray shingles? it's very frustrating because it's the color of the shingles (weathered gray) that got us to this color package.
IMO, this is a good mistake. Stay with the Oakwood.
Old 2009-11-22, 01:44 PM

My builder is Urbandale. They did excatly the same thing to my new home. I picked the color called "Charcoal" for my shingle. But they put "weathered gray" instead. I questioned them. They admitted the mistakes and gave me $4K design center bouns instead. Because my brick is wyndham gray, the weathered gay shingle looks not too too bad. I think you should talk with them again. Showing you the upgrade shingle was their mistake, and they should ask you to go their office to re-select the default shingle, not did it for you without any notice.
Old 2009-11-22, 02:13 PM
Regular User

Well in this particular case we actually agree on one thing, they should get what they paid for. the shingles they wanted is an upgrade for which they did not pay for, regardless if they were shown a package with them or not. I don't see how the builder should pay for a re-roofing job and an upgrade for shingles on something they didn't actually pay for. That would be in their purchase agreement. You either paid for them or not.

My main point was that shingles are not going to make or break your home unless they are completely off. How you feel that you need to make it into a case for the supreme court is beyond me.

Don't see what Mattamy has to do with it, I don't think they mentioned their builder I actually thought it was a Tartan or Tamarack house from reading it the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Uhh no. Reasonable substitution covers inavailability of materials. This is lack of quality control/communication. This is not the product the customer paid for, and is substantially different in appearance. Exactly how acceptable is this difference? Well, its up to the homeowner -- not Captain Savemattamy.

You should not be settling for anything. And the hardship and inconvenience mentioned above was reference to changing the roof colour. The builder is not fulfilling their contract. They made a mistake, they have to make it right. The hardship and inconvenience of changing the roof colour is not an acceptable excuse for not meeting their end.

Last edited by dbleber; 2009-11-22 at 02:23 PM.
Old 2009-11-22, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
Don't see what Mattamy has to do with it, I don't think they mentioned their builder I actually thought it was a Tartan or Tamarack house from reading it the first time.
Can't blame Tartan or Tamarack it's definitely a Mattamy home!