Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2013-05-08, 10:06 PM
Regular User

We just recently purchased the Thistledown model. Looking forward to seeing the upgrade price list and the picnic this summer that Minto is holding.
Old 2013-09-14, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Smile

Hello everyone!

Small group we have going here, hopefully we get to "meet" more and more of our neighbours! We also booked a Rosecroft closing in July 2014.

This may be old news, but I just read somewhere that the Rio Can shopping center being built at Simcoe and Winchester will be the biggest outlet mall in Canada. I'm sure its a few years away, but I'm a little nervous about how busy it will get.

Either way, we're so very excited!
Old 2013-10-09, 02:34 PM

Hey Folks -

I am looking to buy a place here, is the referral incentive still available? If anyone is interested in doing it let me know.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 2013-10-09, 09:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandA View Post
Hi Rob, just sent you a private message. Yes, we are interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunnyBunnys View Post
Hello everyone!

Small group we have going here, hopefully we get to "meet" more and more of our neighbours! We also booked a Rosecroft closing in July 2014.

This may be old news, but I just read somewhere that the Rio Can shopping center being built at Simcoe and Winchester will be the biggest outlet mall in Canada. I'm sure its a few years away, but I'm a little nervous about how busy it will get.

Either way, we're so very excited!
Hey, we are super excited too. We purchased a Plainridge corner closing late May 2014 on Blackwell crescent.

We didn't know that the Rio Can outlet had the record of the biggest outlet mall. Thanks for sharing!

We had our structural appointment recently...not sure when the decor appointment is due. Anybody know anything about that? What upgrades are you all planning on getting?
Old 2013-10-09, 10:03 PM
Regular User

We have our structural appointment coming up in the next few weeks. I've sent off an email asking about changes that are not on the list - waiting to hear back. AandA, what upgrades did you end up going with? (if you don't mind sharing)
Old 2013-10-10, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
We have our structural appointment coming up in the next few weeks. I've sent off an email asking about changes that are not on the list - waiting to hear back. AandA, what upgrades did you end up going with? (if you don't mind sharing)

Hey,

We had ours a few weeks ago. We got a lot of things that would be hard to change such as:

Fireplace (not sure if it was wise to get it since it is ridiculously expensive)
Plywood sub floors
200 AMP
Extra capped outlets
Extra cable oulets
Some potlights (not sure if that was wise either)

What about you? What are you planning on getting?
Old 2013-10-10, 10:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandA View Post
Hey,

We had ours a few weeks ago. We got a lot of things that would be hard to change such as:

Fireplace (not sure if it was wise to get it since it is ridiculously expensive)
Plywood sub floors
200 AMP
Extra capped outlets
Extra cable oulets
Some potlights (not sure if that was wise either)

What about you? What are you planning on getting?

We have no choice with the fireplace! I know! It feels so bad to spend that money but doing anything after the fact just won't look good. (from what I've found so far)

So this is what I can remember

Fireplace
Plywood sub floors
oak stairs
smooth ceilings
adding some windows

This will probably change when we have our appointment
We'll probably add more outlets.

For pot lights i think we're going with Mr. Potlight, I'm waiting for a quote on exterior lights. We'll see!

Did they mention to you why we can only go with the builder when installing a chimney hood fan?
Old 2013-10-10, 11:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
We have no choice with the fireplace! I know! It feels so bad to spend that money but doing anything after the fact just won't look good. (from what I've found so far)

So this is what I can remember

Fireplace
Plywood sub floors
oak stairs
smooth ceilings
adding some windows

This will probably change when we have our appointment
We'll probably add more outlets.

For pot lights i think we're going with Mr. Potlight, I'm waiting for a quote on exterior lights. We'll see!

Did they mention to you why we can only go with the builder when installing a chimney hood fan?

Mr.Potlight, huh? I am going to check them out. See if I can add some more through them later.

We only got standard appliances. I noticed that they did make that comment about the chimney hood fan but I am not sure why. We will be getting the regular hood fan and then probably change it to stainless steel later.

We actually went for less at the actual structural appointment than we had anticipated. Can't wait for the decor appointment.
Old 2013-10-10, 12:51 PM
Regular User

Hey AandA, can't send you a pm trying to find out if we are neighbors
Old 2013-10-10, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Hey Future Minto Homeowners,

Good to see some conversation getting started. My wife and I are closing beginning of Oct 2014. We purchased Thistledown model on Bridlepath facing lake. We are very curious as to the upgrade costs(which I am sure will be $$$$).

@AandA and HunnyBunny - What was the cost of the fireplace and smooth ceilings?

I am hoping this builder will allow us to sign a waiver to not have the carpet installed and just leave the subfloor. Our previous builder allow us to do that and we saved a ton of $$$$ getting someone else to install the hardwood.