Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-02-25, 09:10 AM
Regular User

Default PDI Tips

Hi Everyone

We are almost into our new house, and we have our PDI walkthrough tomorrow. We purchased through Mattamy, but we are looking for tips from anyone with any builder about what we should be looking for.

We've noticed A LOT of things that we aren't happy with and we plan on mentioning EVERYTHING. Does anyone have tips about how far is TOO far to complain? I really don't want to concede to anything, but I also don't to upset the builder to the point where they become reluctant to help in the future.

Any advice that anyone might have would be really helpful.

Old 2013-02-25, 09:29 AM
Regular User

this will help>>

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=20978
Old 2013-02-25, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Don't concede anything. You can only get fixed the things that you mention. Later, you can vary how hard you will work to actually get things done. That is a better point to let things go.

It can be a long (and at time frustrating) process and you will learn your own tolerance for what it is worth to fight the builder on things. The process needs to start with mentioning everything though, otherwise you have no beginning point.
Old 2013-02-27, 07:09 AM
Regular User

According to Tarion the PDI should take approximately one hour per 1000 square feet of home. Remember that the PDI is a cosmetic inspection so don't worry about things like structure, insulation, HVAC issues, etc. during the PDI.

Concentrate on looking for damage, chips, scratches, dents, on things like hardwood floors, counters, cabinets, cabinet doors, tubs, toilets, doors, walls, etc. Check the garage door for any damage. Focus on hardwood floors if you have them - there should not be chips, scratches, dents, and make sure the boards lay flat and are not cupped or crowned.

Check the Tarion Construction Performance Guidelines (CPG) - Interior - flooring sections and read the rules. There are many things - like hardwood floor issues, that clearly state that those issues need to be identified during the PDI or they are not covered.

While walking through the home -

1 - open and close windows - check for damage and function.

2 - Check carpet seams to see if they are tight - review CPG for the rules.

3 - Flush every toilet - run water at sinks, and look for leaks.

4 - Use your hands to feel counters, tubs, etc for scratches and paint splatter.

5 - Check the furnace for damage to the cabinet.

If you want, and because the house is empty, you could take and "outlet" tester to check that outlets are wired properly and that they are not loose.

If you want, take a small slightly damp micro fiber cloth. Sometimes small bit of debris on hardwood floors and cabinets look like damage so wiping that area will make quick confirmation.

If you want. take a flashlight to help look behind toilets and inside cabinets.

If you want, check the HVAC duct connections while you are in the basement. All connections at the round ducts are required to be tight fitting.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2013-02-27 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2013-02-27, 07:54 AM
Regular User

You should mention everything. The PDI is a report of the status of your home and will be used should there be any warranty issues in the future. Do not overlook anything.

Our Mattamy rep in Summerside asked us to be picky and thorough and we were. Best of luck.
Old 2013-02-27, 08:09 AM
Regular User

mention = bring xxx to their attention and ensure it gets written on the pdi report

even if they agree to fix it later, ensure it gets on the report
Old 2013-02-27, 09:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
According to Tarion the PDI should take approximately one hour per 1000 square feet of home. Remember that the PDI is a cosmetic inspection so don't worry about things like structure, insulation, HVAC issues, etc. during the PDI.
I am not so sure about this. On our list, we were asked to sign off on this stuff. This is what Tarion says to check.

DAMAGED, INCOMPLETE OR MISSING
  • Windows, side lights and other glazing. Window and door screens
  • Bathtubs, sinks and toilets
  • Bathroom accessories, if provided
  • Mirrors, countertops and cabinetry
  • Flooring (hardwood, vinyl, ceramic tiles, carpeting)
  • Interior finishes and trim carpentry
  • Furnace
  • Hot water heater, if provided (not a rental)
  • Exterior finishes, driveways, walkways, decks and landscaping are complete
OPERATING CONDITION
  • Windows, interior and exterior doors (including garage overhead door). Door locks
  • Faucets: kitchen, bathroom, laundry room
  • Exhaust fans (kitchen, bathrooms), if provided
  • Electrical outlets and fixtures
  • Gas fireplaces, incl. circulation fans, if provided
  • Heat Recovery Ventilation system, if provided
  • Heating system
  • Hot water heater, if provided (not a rental)
  • Air conditioning system, if provided and if conditions permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
Concentrate on looking for damage, chips, scratches, dents, on things like hardwood floors, counters, cabinets, cabinet doors, tubs, toilets, doors, walls, etc. Check the garage door for any damage. Focus on hardwood floors if you have them - there should not be chips, scratches, dents, and make sure the boards lay flat and are not cupped or crowned.
I am not so sure that these things should be focused on. Yes, do note them but I think the focus should be on making sure that all the upgrades that were requested were done, and done correctly.

There will still be a period of time that the builder will be in the house after the PDI. This means there will be more dings, scratches, etc. The cosmetic stuff should be focused on, but it would be better to do so on the delivery date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
mention = bring xxx to their attention and ensure it gets written on the pdi report

even if they agree to fix it later, ensure it gets on the report
I would second this advice.
I would recommend that you keep your own list and compare it to the builder's list at the end.

Some good advice we got was to have one person focus on pointing stuff out and another writing stuff down. We started doing this then were distracted and stopped. I wish we had kept it up, because there were things that got missed.

It is not the end of the world if you miss stuff as you have the move-in inspection for the cosmetic and the 30-day for other stuff. It is just more helpful for them to start on the issues while you are still out of the house.

Also, just know that it is likely that some of the issues that come up on the PDI will not be resolved before you move in. It is in the best interest of the builder to resolve stuff at this point, but also not necessary for them to do so. Anything that is left over from your PDI, throw them on your 30-day list. This one is Tarion backed.
Old 2013-02-27, 10:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
I am not so sure that these things should be focused on. Yes, do note them but I think the focus should be on making sure that all the upgrades that were requested were done, and done correctly.
Actually, the chips and scratches are pretty important, or else you can end up in a fight with the builder as to whether the granite countertop was scratched before or after possession. Same thing goes for hardwood... I had to fight for a couple of spots on my 30-Day because they said it really should have been identified at the PDI or else immediately upon noticing it. Sure you file it on the 30-Day paperwork but I think you want the more serious stuff noted in writing ASAP.
Old 2013-02-27, 10:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Actually, the chips and scratches are pretty important, or else you can end up in a fight with the builder as to whether the granite countertop was scratched before or after possession. Same thing goes for hardwood... I had to fight for a couple of spots on my 30-Day because they said it really should have been identified at the PDI or else immediately upon noticing it. Sure you file it on the 30-Day paperwork but I think you want the more serious stuff noted in writing ASAP.
You're right, they are important. I completely agree.

There should be a couple of weeks between the PDI and posession date and a lot can happen in this time.

The buyer is going to have to go through the whole house on possession day and make note of all the scratches, dents, etc. at that time. Having items on the PDI will help the builder minimize what needs to be done after possession but, there will be more.

On possession day, you will have a whole day to scour the house to find items. As you noted, this is where you should report any little ding/scratch as you noted.

I am just saying the focus should be on larger items that are more inconvenient to have fixed after possession.

Last edited by bcpl; 2013-02-27 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2013-02-27, 10:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpl View Post
Oh, I am not saying they are not important. And I am not saying to not report them.

But there should be a couple of weeks until your posession date and a lot can happen in this time. You are going to need to go through and report all these scratches, dents etc. for the possession date form. At this time, you are going to have a whole day to go through and find the cosmetic defects.

I am just saying the focus should be on larger items that are more inconvenient to have fixed after possession.
Ah right, that's fair. Certainly don't want furnace or plumbing issues the week after you move in.