Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?

Old 2017-09-29, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Default Central Vac question

My new build comes with Central Vac completion. I have heard from a few people that Dyson is better than a central vac. Any advice which one to go for?
Old 2017-09-29, 01:51 PM

I like the option to have a toe kick in the kitchen. Wish I had it installed in all the bathrooms...
Old 2017-09-29, 02:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvdd View Post
I like the option to have a toe kick in the kitchen. Wish I had it installed in all the bathrooms...
We did both and honestly we barely use the bathroom one...but it was a good idea at the time, LOL
Old 2017-09-29, 03:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_petrucci View Post
My new build comes with Central Vac completion. I have heard from a few people that Dyson is better than a central vac. Any advice which one to go for?
We have had a Dyson and now have central vac - I pick central vac hands down! The power is incredible, it is much quieter, you only plug in once per floor and you don't have to empty anything. We have a golden retriever so our house should be an official testing ground for vacuum strengths and the central vac wins.

Toe kick has been useless for us in the kitchen, it is so loud no one in the family wants me to use it.

Make sure you opt to put the vacuum unit in the garage so you don't have to hear it in the basement (it is also dusty when you empty it if you don't use bags). And buy a high-quality vacuum! My MIL bought a sale one from Canadian Tire or wherever and it is loud and has cheap attachments. We bought ours from The Vacuum Store after telling them all our requirements and it is phenomenal. Crazy long warranties, quiet, solid. Around $1k I think for our Cyclovac.
Old 2017-10-02, 02:04 PM
Regular User

Another vote for central vac.

and for skipping the toe kicks - they're loud and not nearly as effective as the hose, and to use it you have to go grab a broom anyway. save that $ for a second hose, and keep one on each floor.
Old 2017-10-03, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
We have had a Dyson and now have central vac - I pick central vac hands down! The power is incredible, it is much quieter, you only plug in once per floor and you don't have to empty anything. We have a golden retriever so our house should be an official testing ground for vacuum strengths and the central vac wins.

Toe kick has been useless for us in the kitchen, it is so loud no one in the family wants me to use it.

Make sure you opt to put the vacuum unit in the garage so you don't have to hear it in the basement (it is also dusty when you empty it if you don't use bags). And buy a high-quality vacuum! My MIL bought a sale one from Canadian Tire or wherever and it is loud and has cheap attachments. We bought ours from The Vacuum Store after telling them all our requirements and it is phenomenal. Crazy long warranties, quiet, solid. Around $1k I think for our Cyclovac.

Just out of curiosity...did you buy through that group buy forum here?
Thanks