Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Appliances and Furniture

Appliances and Furniture What fits? Where to get it? How will it look?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2017-09-29, 12:33 PM
john_petrucci john_petrucci is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 21
Default Central Vac question

My new build comes with Central Vac completion. I have heard from a few people that Dyson is better than a central vac. Any advice which one to go for?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2017-09-29, 01:51 PM
alvdd alvdd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4
Default

I like the option to have a toe kick in the kitchen. Wish I had it installed in all the bathrooms...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2017-09-29, 02:25 PM
xdarrylx's Avatar
xdarrylx xdarrylx is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Barrhaven, Ontario
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvdd View Post
I like the option to have a toe kick in the kitchen. Wish I had it installed in all the bathrooms...
We did both and honestly we barely use the bathroom one...but it was a good idea at the time, LOL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2017-09-29, 03:01 PM
Sarah2012 Sarah2012 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_petrucci View Post
My new build comes with Central Vac completion. I have heard from a few people that Dyson is better than a central vac. Any advice which one to go for?
We have had a Dyson and now have central vac - I pick central vac hands down! The power is incredible, it is much quieter, you only plug in once per floor and you don't have to empty anything. We have a golden retriever so our house should be an official testing ground for vacuum strengths and the central vac wins.

Toe kick has been useless for us in the kitchen, it is so loud no one in the family wants me to use it.

Make sure you opt to put the vacuum unit in the garage so you don't have to hear it in the basement (it is also dusty when you empty it if you don't use bags). And buy a high-quality vacuum! My MIL bought a sale one from Canadian Tire or wherever and it is loud and has cheap attachments. We bought ours from The Vacuum Store after telling them all our requirements and it is phenomenal. Crazy long warranties, quiet, solid. Around $1k I think for our Cyclovac.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2017-10-02, 02:04 PM
oakvillehomeowner oakvillehomeowner is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,866
Default

Another vote for central vac.

and for skipping the toe kicks - they're loud and not nearly as effective as the hose, and to use it you have to go grab a broom anyway. save that $ for a second hose, and keep one on each floor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2017-10-03, 12:04 PM
OttawaG OttawaG is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
We have had a Dyson and now have central vac - I pick central vac hands down! The power is incredible, it is much quieter, you only plug in once per floor and you don't have to empty anything. We have a golden retriever so our house should be an official testing ground for vacuum strengths and the central vac wins.

Toe kick has been useless for us in the kitchen, it is so loud no one in the family wants me to use it.

Make sure you opt to put the vacuum unit in the garage so you don't have to hear it in the basement (it is also dusty when you empty it if you don't use bags). And buy a high-quality vacuum! My MIL bought a sale one from Canadian Tire or wherever and it is loud and has cheap attachments. We bought ours from The Vacuum Store after telling them all our requirements and it is phenomenal. Crazy long warranties, quiet, solid. Around $1k I think for our Cyclovac.

Just out of curiosity...did you buy through that group buy forum here?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Central Vacuum Question - Sundial owners Vivaldi_2011 Burlington 2 2013-01-01 03:59 PM
Central AC question desrochers83 Milton 2 2010-06-01 05:37 AM
Question Question about installing a motion detector light m & m Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 3 2009-08-08 09:04 PM
Central Vac Wiring Question sweeper Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 16 2008-11-16 08:42 PM
Central vac install question Nathan Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 3 2008-07-04 08:00 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.