Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-05-14, 11:59 PM
Regular User

Default Interlock Patio Contractor Recommendations

I want a small interlock/paver slab patio in my townhouse backyard in Barrhaven. Roughly 14 ft x 16 ft. Initially I wanted a deck but I've changed my mind.

Does anyone have recommendations for contractors?
Old 2018-05-15, 07:14 AM
Regular User

Family member, and a next door neighbour, used Jasons Landscape.

They are about 6+ years old and nothing has moved / shifted in that time.

Initial work quality very high. Both of these have curved edges. It was fun watching the guy cut that with a portable masonry saw. Surgeon like precision.

Last edited by good2know; 2018-05-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 2018-05-16, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post

Initial work quality very high. Both of these have curved edges. It was fun watching the guy cut that with a portable masonry saw. Surgeon like precision.
Thanks.
I have some interlock in need of repair.
Old 2018-05-17, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post

Seems Jason's Landscape was too busy for my job and quoted me "minimum $1,000" without even seeing the job.

I understand if they are a busy company, just let me know that, but it seemed a bit unprofessional to highball me with a number in the hopes I'd not continue with the request (to which I didn't).
Old 2018-05-17, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Seems Jason's Landscape was too busy for my job and quoted me "minimum $1,000" without even seeing the job.

I understand if they are a busy company, just let me know that, but it seemed a bit unprofessional to highball me with a number in the hopes I'd not continue with the request (to which I didn't).

It's really a no win situation for them or any company anymore this day in age. If they tell customers that they are too busy then some customers can post that the company had a snobby attitude and were unpleasant to talk to.

However I understand your frustration as I had the same happen to me when I first moved in. I contacted a company for window aluminum capping and he quoted me about $1000 after saying "that it wasn't worth it for them to come out to Orleans" despite the fact that I saw their trucks in the area on a daily basis.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2018-05-17, 03:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
It's really a no win situation for them or any company anymore this day in age. If they tell customers that they are too busy then some customers can post that the company had a snobby attitude and were unpleasant to talk to.

However I understand your frustration as I had the same happen to me when I first moved in. I contacted a company for window aluminum capping and he quoted me about $1000 after saying "that it wasn't worth it for them to come out to Orleans" despite the fact that I saw their trucks in the area on a daily basis.
Yup.

Be professional, tell me you're backed up and can't come by for "XX weeks" and I can decide if that works for me. Don't tell me there's a minimum $$ without seeing the job - that's just aggravating and unprofessional.

Anyhow, anyone else have any interlock recommendations I can chase down?
Old 2018-05-18, 11:04 AM
Regular User

While we haven't signed with them yet, we have been impressed with EverStone Interlock. They came highly recommended by a few people and their quote is reasonable. (We just can't nail down what stones we want so that's the only reason we haven't moved forward with them)
Old 2018-05-18, 11:25 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the suggestions.

I emailed 5-6 of companies, 3 got back to me for quotes.

I'll ask EverStone Interlock too.
Old 2018-05-18, 03:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
While we haven't signed with them yet, we have been impressed with EverStone Interlock. They came highly recommended by a few people and their quote is reasonable. (We just can't nail down what stones we want so that's the only reason we haven't moved forward with them)
Good enough for me. I've emailed them, thank you!
Old 2018-05-20, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post

TBH for a "small" job, you're better to go with a small outfit. It's simply not worth a company like Jasons coming out to quote it then have you haggle over the $50-150 difference you'll get between your quotes when they can just focus on the $10-50k jobs they probably have plenty of. For a one-man local operation it might make more sense, and you'll get the attention you want.

Alternatively, if it's that small just do it yourself. The hardest part is the labour itself but get a buddy or two over and you'll dig in a day then another day or two for install. Contractors will bring equipment and do it in a day, but you pay for that. Rent a plate compactor from Home Depot and there's plenty of tutorials online that can show you how to put the pavers - unless you're trying for some kind of landscaping masterpiece it's not hard - pay attention to the key pieces (like a good base and proper pattern) and you can do a really decent job yourself and save a packet.