Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2021-02-15, 04:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
ok I found the source of the sound. its coming from one of the white PVC pipes coming out of the furnace. if I move the pipe where its entering the ceiling, I can reproduce the sound. I have circled the pipe in red in the pictures. anyone know what this pipe is for? It may be the pipes that lead to the outside. so could it be some kind of exhaust or intake?
Can you move it side to side?

Is the sound coming from inside the pipe or is it hitting something in the joists bay?

If it's loose and you can move it side to side I suspect it just needs to be re-caulked on the outside.
Old 2021-02-15, 05:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Can you move it side to side?

Is the sound coming from inside the pipe or is it hitting something in the joists bay?

If it's loose and you can move it side to side I suspect it just needs to be re-caulked on the outside.
yes this pipe we can move it a little. the other one doesn't move much. we were told its not good for those pipes to be really tight and not moving at all. They need to move a little, but to put some insulations between the pipe and other things to stop it from making noise. the noise its probably friction. The odd thing is that even with the furnace is during its off cycle, it still makes noise. I'll have to go look at the caulking on the outside, but I don't think its that cause we can make the noise stop by turning off the furnace. once it turns off, the noise will stop after about 10 minutes. if it was a lack of caulking on the outside, the noise would continue to happen even when the furnace is off. also, I find it strange that when the noise happens, it happens at a constant interval.
Old 2021-02-15, 06:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
yes this pipe we can move it a little. the other one doesn't move much. we were told its not good for those pipes to be really tight and not moving at all. They need to move a little, but to put some insulations between the pipe and other things to stop it from making noise. the noise its probably friction. The odd thing is that even with the furnace is during its off cycle, it still makes noise. I'll have to go look at the caulking on the outside, but I don't think its that cause we can make the noise stop by turning off the furnace. once it turns off, the noise will stop after about 10 minutes. if it was a lack of caulking on the outside, the noise would continue to happen even when the furnace is off. also, I find it strange that when the noise happens, it happens at a constant interval.
Maybe the noise is coming from inside the furnace and the sound is being carried up through that exhaust pipe. If the pipe is not moving or vibrating (which is shouldn't) and banging against something in the ceiling, I think the noise is coming from the furnace. If the noise was external, I would think it would be random and not at a consistent interval.
Old 2021-02-15, 06:48 PM
Regular User

What you are saying makes perfect sense. But wouldnt i be able to hear it from the furnace aswell? Plus i can reproduce the sound by moving that pipe up where it enters the ceiling. But I'll keep monitoring it. I will touch the pipe when its making that noise and see if i can feel it moving. I may have already done that though, i dont remember.
Old 2021-02-16, 07:55 PM
Regular User

looks like I fixed the noise. I put a bit of sound insulation under the white pipe where it enters the ceiling in my furnace room.

thanks everyone for all your help!!!!
Old 2021-04-09, 02:23 AM
Regular User

I'll also try out what you did, I'm also having problems with some ticking noises near the brine tank.

Last edited by Nazz21; 2021-04-09 at 02:30 AM.
Old 2021-04-09, 12:46 PM
Regular User

what a brine tank? can you keep meat in it for a few hours before you BBQ it?
Old 2021-04-09, 01:12 PM
Regular User

Brine tank is for a water softener that works on an ion-exchange basis.