Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and WheleríS Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and WheleríS Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2007-03-05, 08:48 PM
nch

Default Upgrades - Electrical, Insulation, etc..etc..

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick, new to the forum. Just finalized all details with my purchase agreement for one of the village homes (Fernbay Edge) on the East side of 9th by Main street.

Went through the very daunting task of looking over the design centre catalogue.

Anyone do the home theatre rough-in (listed at $193 for 4 wires to be run - 2 front speakers and 2 rear). If yes, quality of the install/wiring?

Anyone pay the extra money for the R-13 interior wall or ceiling insulation (for sound deadening and heat retention)? Was it worth it?

Any other worthwhile and affordable semi-townhouse styled upgrades?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2007-03-05, 09:39 PM
Regular User

I'm in a town house myself, and all there is in the middle of the shared wall (behind the drywall) is the cinderblock.

You never know what kind of nieghbours you will get. This is beyond your control. If I knew back then what I know now let me pass this advice to you.....

Get that shared wall insulated with a good quality sound deading insulation.
Old 2007-03-05, 09:40 PM
Regular User

I would definately splurge on the insulation. I lived in a townhouse for 5 years and was often disturbed by my neighbours noise, and it is one of those things you can not do later. Also wood stairs is another item that can not be easily done later and the carpet wears down with all the use. Door from garage to house, lazy susan in kitchen and angle corner upper cabinet give you much more storage space and can't be done later. Just a few thoughts. Enjoy your new home.
Old 2007-03-06, 01:45 AM
Regular User

Default The wires

Find out what kind or wires they are putting in... They can be the cheapest brand out there so be carefull...

Peter

Last edited by Mrgreek; 2007-03-07 at 03:26 AM.
Old 2007-03-06, 07:44 PM
nch

Thanks for the advice with upgrading shared wall insulation and the corner cabinet in the kitchen.

Peter: In terms of the wire, it's 16 guage. I have no concerns around the brand.
Old 2007-03-06, 08:21 PM
Administrator

I can gurantee you with out 99% certainty it will be Provolume wire.. Which is standard for just about all of us in the GTA since they are pretty much the only game in town for inwall speaker wiring. I just pulled 2000' of 14g in a house the other day. Oh what fun.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-03-06, 10:38 PM
Regular User

$194 bucks seems like a lot of money to run four 16awg speaker wires.

I'm sure you can pick up the wire for .50 cents a foot and run in down to the basement and across to the other side of your family room and back up where you want it.
Old 2007-03-06, 10:42 PM
Administrator

The $192 is about the right builder price for them running 14g. 16g should be a little less.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-03-07, 03:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nch View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick, new to the forum. Just finalized all details with my purchase agreement for one of the village homes (Fernbay Edge) on the East side of 9th by Main street.

Went through the very daunting task of looking over the design centre catalogue.

Anyone do the home theatre rough-in (listed at $193 for 4 wires to be run - 2 front speakers and 2 rear). If yes, quality of the install/wiring?

Anyone pay the extra money for the R-13 interior wall or ceiling insulation (for sound deadening and heat retention)? Was it worth it?

Any other worthwhile and affordable semi-townhouse styled upgrades?

Thanks in advance!
In your reply to my message, you stated that you are not concerned about brand! But in your original posting you questioned the quality of the wiring. Does quality and brand not go together?

Thanks,

Peter

Old 2007-03-07, 08:44 AM
Regular User

Don't forget the cost of copper has gone up almost 200% in the past year! a box of Cat6e was $200+ this past December

The only thing you really need to concern yourself with is the capacitance of the wire. I can tell you that all of the speaker wire's pulled into all of the large performance spaces and most of the cinema's in Toronto is simply Belden 14-2. The gauge changes slightly on the distance of the run.