Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2005-01-06, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Default installing hardwood floors in new homes.....good idea?

Would it be wise to wait a while before installing hardwood or is there no issue in installing right after closing?
Old 2005-01-06, 08:02 PM
Regular User

Default hardwood floors

we waited until after possession as the builder was charging over double for what we ended up paying...
Old 2005-01-06, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I'd know of people who have put them in the day after the moved in, and a couple of months after they moved in.

You can wait a bit and save the wear and tear on the floor from moving.

Or you can do it right away before you move in and not have to worry about shifting things around.
Old 2005-01-06, 10:07 PM
Regular User

so there's nothing to worry about structurally (ie house settling etc)?

Peake - I know what you mean, our builder quoted us a crazy amount also. Why do builders charge so much, knowing that everyone else will do it for far less?

BTW does anyone know a good place to buy unfinished hardwood?

We saw a factory-type place in the Royal York/Evans Ave area advertising for as low as $1.99 sq/ft, but I'm unsure of the details.
Old 2005-01-06, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbrock
so there's nothing to worry about structurally (ie house settling etc)?
I don't think so. But I am not an expert.

Quote:
Why do builders charge so much, knowing that everyone else will do it for far less?
Builders don't make a lot of money on houses. They make a lot of money on upgrades.
Old 2005-01-07, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS
Builders don't make a lot of money on houses. They make a lot of money on upgrades.
I agree. Which is why I still don't understand why builders charge a price on something like hardwood flooring which is significantly higher than private contracters/carpenters. All it does is drive consumers away.
I can understand pricing a little higher for the conveneince factor, but if you want to attract more business, you would try to make it as competitive as possible. I don't know a single couple who has bought this upgrade from a builder.

I suppose that the number of hands that need to be paid to provide this upgrade is the main factor for the high prices, but it really is ridiculous....

Back on topic....do you think the humidity factor can affect the hardwood? I read somewhere that it is wise to try and keep your humidity level low in the first year to let the house "dry out"....?
Old 2005-01-07, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree. Which is why I still don't understand why builders charge a price on something like hardwood flooring which is significantly higher than private contracters/carpenters. All it does is drive consumers away.
I can understand pricing a little higher for the conveneince factor, but if you want to attract more business, you would try to make it as competitive as possible. I don't know a single couple who has bought this upgrade from a builder.
There are still people doing it through the builder. That way the builder has it all done prior to moving in, and the builder is responsibile and it's covered under the home warranty.

Quote:
Back on topic....do you think the humidity factor can affect the hardwood? I read somewhere that it is wise to try and keep your humidity level low in the first year to let the house "dry out"....?
Humidity is a big factor with hardwood. More moisture, the wood expands. Less moisture, the wood contracts, and possibly cracks. I am not an expert on hardwood, but I have read a bit and seen some shows. The humidity in your house will have to be regulated a little better, especially within the first year. In fact, the hardwood should be left in the house a couple of days prior to installation just so it can get used to the local humidity.
Old 2005-01-19, 01:23 PM
Regular User

has anyone installed their own hardwood? What is the difficulty level involved in this? Pre-finished, of course.

I don't mind paying the $2-$3 per sq/ft labour, but I'd rather save that money if it isn't too difficult
Old 2005-01-21, 08:05 PM
Regular User

Default Hardwood Floors

My house hasn't been built yet - if an upgrade to hardwood is that expensive, do I just tell my builder that I'll take the carpeting and then do it myself later? Or do I ask that the floors are left bare so that I can work straight from the plywood flooring?
Old 2005-01-22, 01:39 PM
Administrator

That all depends on your builder. Most likely they have contracts with all the trades that say they have to do X amount of work.. So the builder is going to pay for it either way.

It never hurts to ask them! :)