Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-20, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Default 3 different colored electrical wires

hi all, i noticed that the electrician used 3 different colored electrical wires in my house. blue, white and yellow. anyone know why? what's the difference between the colors?
Old 2009-07-20, 12:15 PM
Regular User

They indicate different types of circuits. ie. Yellow may indicate a 240V range receptacle and blue may indicate a GFI circuit. I don't know the exact colour to application rules and somebody else may know better but it does signify different circuit types.

White is your standard 14/2 romex cable for lights and switches.
Old 2009-07-20, 12:23 PM
Regular User

When you say "electrical wires", are you referring specifically to the electrical/power supply throughout the house (i.e. black, white and ground wires for receptacles and light fixtures) or are you talking about wiring in the general sense?

Phone, cable, etc. cabling may have different colour sheathing, is that what you are talking about?
Old 2009-07-20, 12:25 PM
Regular User

i'm talking about the thick electrical wires for all the lights and switches, etc that they install along with plumbing and vents. Mark and Linda answered my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny1975 View Post
When you say "electrical wires", are you referring specifically to the electrical/power supply throughout the house (i.e. black, white and ground wires for receptacles and light fixtures) or are you talking about wiring in the general sense?

Phone, cable, etc. cabling may have different colour sheathing, is that what you are talking about?
Old 2009-07-20, 01:33 PM
Regular User

The correct answer is:

Blue - arc fault protected circuits (required for bedrooms)
Yellow - 20 amp circuits - required for kitchen counter outlets now that we don't have split circuit anymore. This is usually 12 gauge rather than the 14g waire for 15 amp circuits
White - everything else

The 240v circuits are usually 3 phase and done with much larger cable.