Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-07-29, 09:57 AM
Regular User

i have no carpet in this new house. plus, they are using TJI floor joists which whouldn't warp over time and so if you use those along with glue and screws, there shouldn't be any squeeking, especially under tiles. last night i went to my sister's 15+ year old house and when i was walking on her tiles, it honestly felt like concrete. very hard and absolutely no noise. so they screwed in the subfloor 15 years ago and my 9 year old house right now has no screws in it and there are squeeks and creeks even while walking on tiles. lets face it, this shouldn't happen. and this is not my starter home, this is my final home that i will be spending 30+ years in and paid half a million for it.

however, I have decided against going into my home to do this and will make sure the builder does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
At least those creaks can be fixed in cases where there is carpet on top. I understand that it can't be done the same way after the fact for hardwood or ceramic. That said, creaks are simply going to develop as everything drys out and shifts, right? No amount of extra screwing is going to avoid that. In fact, if I remember correctly, patrob made a comment at one point to the effect that over-screwing can cause problems.
Old 2009-07-29, 10:05 AM
Regular User

i did ask and they said they use screws and it also says in the features list. it says "nails and screws". but first of all, how many screws? will there be a screw every 12 inches? or a screw for every piece of plywood? secondly, they don't necessarily do everything that's stated in the features list. either they just don't do it or they plan on doing it but somehow it just doesn't end up getting done and its to late after the fact.

you're right, i'm not familiar with this stuff, that's why i'm using this forum.
i'm sure there are tons of othe things about my house that i shold also be concerned about, but i don't know much about how a home is built. but i do know the beauty of having your floors properly screwed down and how horrible it is if it isn't. that's why i'm making a big deal about it.

and i wouldn't just blindly screw into the floor and hit a gas line or water supply line. i would find out where all the joists are and mark where i'm supposed to screw. but as i said in my last post, i have decided not to do this and make sure the builder does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
These are the things you find out BEFORE you sign the contract to buy. Trespassing into a house that you don't own to screw down the subfloor is something you definitely should not be doing. You are (very clearly) not familiar with this stuff. What if you screw into a water supply line? Or a gas line?
Old 2009-07-29, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
i did ask and they said they use screws and it also says in the features list. it says "nails and screws". but first of all, how many screws? will there be a screw every 12 inches? or a screw for every piece of plywood? secondly, they don't necessarily do everything that's stated in the features list. either they just don't do it or they plan on doing it but somehow it just doesn't end up getting done and its to late after the fact.

you're right, i'm not familiar with this stuff, that's why i'm using this forum.
i'm sure there are tons of othe things about my house that i shold also be concerned about, but i don't know much about how a home is built. but i do know the beauty of having your floors properly screwed down and how horrible it is if it isn't. that's why i'm making a big deal about it.

and i wouldn't just blindly screw into the floor and hit a gas line or water supply line. i would find out where all the joists are and mark where i'm supposed to screw. but as i said in my last post, i have decided not to do this and make sure the builder does it.
Right but again -- these are things you find out before you drop half a million. It boggles my mind that you entered into a half million dollar contract without reviewing what Tarion even means, or what the reporting deadlines are.

Your best bet is to contact your builder and schedule a framewalk.... ESPECIALLY if they just began putting up drywall.

Old 2009-07-29, 11:51 AM
Regular User

Go to the sales office, have them schedule a walkthrough for you.

We did a walkthrough and they changed some things that were in the wrong place. They were upset after we kept going to the house and having them change things that were done wrong.

In our case, we are doing the hardwood after closing so the company that will install will check and do what we want.

5 weeks to closing, I contacted the builder because they were to stain the oak stairs according to the original contract that we signed. The colour of the staricase did not match the colour of the hardwood that I chose eventually, they initially told us the stairs had been stained but we went there to check and told them the stairs was not stained.
They agreed not to stain the stairs but wrote us a letter that we were trespassing on the property.

I got what I wanted without paying any admin fee to "change" the contract. I will not be going back again until the PDI which is in 2 weeks anyway.
Old 2009-07-29, 12:01 PM
Regular User

i knew what tarion meant. and regardless of what the deadlines were, we were going to buy a house anyways. there will always be things you miss or didn't know when you are buying a house. you can't know everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Right but again -- these are things you find out before you drop half a million. It boggles my mind that you entered into a half million dollar contract without reviewing what Tarion even means, or what the reporting deadlines are.

Your best bet is to contact your builder and schedule a framewalk.... ESPECIALLY if they just began putting up drywall.
Old 2009-07-29, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
you're right, i'm not familiar with this stuff, that's why i'm using this forum. i'm sure there are tons of othe things about my house that i shold also be concerned about, but i don't know much about how a home is built.
Quote:
there will always be things you miss or didn't know when you are buying a house. you can't know everything.
Too true. Having said that, it seems as though many of your questions are builder-specific. I can't help but think that you would be better off talking with your builder about their particular processes. While the people on this forum can certainly tell you what THEIR builder is doing, it won't necessarily apply in your case.

Quote:
i did ask and they said they use screws and it also says in the features list. it says "nails and screws". but first of all, how many screws? will there be a screw every 12 inches? or a screw for every piece of plywood?