Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Waterloo Region

Waterloo Region Kitchener, Cambridge, and Waterloo, and the townships of Wellesley, Woolwich, Wilmot, and North Dumfries.

Old 2008-04-20, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Location: Brampton right now - Cambridge (Mill Pond) Next Feb =)
Smile Design Centre

Hi Mill Pond Owners =)
I thought I would start this thread with all the Design Centre Talk and Info!
Post what structural upgrades you plan on getting, Decor items chosen and more! Each one of us will have to go through the DC, so why do it alone?

I'll start us off!

My boyfriend and I are getting the following upgrades:

Bow (Bay?) Window in the living room
Fireplace with Plasma Niche
Fireplace Fan Kit
Upgraded Master Ensuite Oasis (3pc into 4 pc with soaker tub)
3 piece rough in in the basement
Bigger basement windows
Cold Cellar

Depending on the pricing we would consider getting:
Oak Stairs (Big depending on price!!)
Whirlpool tub upgrade
Glass shower door upgrade
Hardwood in Dining Room only (don't even know if this is possible)
Upgraded Under pad
Deep upper cabinets over fridge
Upgraded Trim
Conduit from Basement to attic
45 degree tiling

That's all I can think of at the moment... Any one else?

And on another note, for those who are doing this the 2nd or 3rd time around, do you know if we have to bring our appliance measurements to the first design centre appointment? I have read this numerous time but cannot get confirmation.

Old 2008-04-21, 11:16 PM
Regular User

Hi there,

Here is a likely incomplete list of upgrades my family has planned (I know there are more but I can't find my list, which totally scares me)
[LIST]
  • Smooth ceilings on main
  • potlights on main
  • upgrade mirrored slider in main hallway
  • hardwood in living/dining
  • hardwood in kitchen/great room
  • 45 degree angled tiles in hallway and powder room as well as upstars bathrooms
  • fireplace and plasma wall plus media shelves/cabinets in great room
  • in kitchen:
  • upgrade all cabinets and add moulding
  • pot drawer in island
  • lazy susan cabinet
  • angled corner cabinets
  • pantry cabinets
  • leave off the lip of laminate that meets the wall at back of counter (we'll do granite later)
  • rest of house;
  • dark stain on railing pickets to match hardwood
  • upgrade carpet and underpad
  • once we see all the faucets, we'll probably upgrade throughout the house
  • 9ft ceilings are on the list but not a must do so we'll see once we have prices....
  • upgrade linen closet door and smaller bedroom closet doors (the standard ones are ugly)
  • we aleady asked for the basement window and rough in option

We are also leaving a lot of stuff out, ceramics in the bathrooms (toilet paper holder, towel rack, soap dish) the bathroom lighting is not my fav so that's gone too. We plan to move a doorway into the master bedroom and hopefully add a quiet wall between the laundry and my son's room (if it's not already quiet that is).

So that's it for now, once everything is priced out we will know better what will stay, go or be added to the list.

I'd love to hear what you find out about the appliance thing, we can't be buying them just yet so I can only think if they want dimensions we'll at least figure out what we want and give that info to Mattamy. And of course cross our fingers that that is what we end up buying. This has the potential to become quite a problem doesn't it.

Can't wait to find out what the rest of you have planned in terms of upgrades, I'm sure your lists will really give us some great ideas (of course that will also just add money to the bottom line.

Amanda
Old 2008-04-25, 04:17 PM
Regular User

Wow!
Went to the design centre on Wednesday and boy was it amazing. We finally got pricing on everything we had wanted to know. We also met some neighbours =)
It was fun and hectic at the same time.
We don't have very much time to make our choices (Next Friday is our first appointment) so it's crunch time to see what we want vs what we can afford.

Old 2008-04-25, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Default Design Centre Open this weekend!

On the Mattamy Mill Pond group a member named Amy provided this info, thought I'd share it with all of you that have or haven't had your orientation yet......so thanks very much Amy.

"Design Studio will open this Saturday April 26th for browsing from 1-5 pm. It's a great chance to stop by, meet the design staff and check out the large variety of samples. However please note that I have been told that no pricing will be available until your orientation date."

So I am sure the design centre will be a mad house, we shall see if it's worth us going yet since we haven't had the orientation. I would hate to fall in love with something that is far out of our price range.

Amanda
Old 2008-04-25, 06:21 PM
Regular User

We are definately going to check it out on Saturday. Although we still wont get a idea pricewise since we probrably wont have our orientation for awhile yet? Oh well if we like certain things we will make note of them for our appointment! Just cant wait to get the building started.

And i pray that since they are a month behind of the sewer work it wont delay all our closings as I heard they planned on having the sewer work done by April 1st and they havent really started!
Old 2008-04-28, 09:15 AM
Regular User

If anyone would like to know some pricing that hasn't had their orientation yet, I can tell you what the pricing is in our book (It may be the same for all 34's or it could be an approx. pricing for you) Just feel free to ask =)

Went to the DC on Sat & Sun... both days were pretty busy with people. It would clear out for a couple minutes and then it was packed again!

I didn't know that they were behind a month on the sewers =( I hope that doesn't delay us! I am hoping they have lots of time to catch up once the nice weather is here to stay!

Old 2008-04-28, 07:24 PM
Regular User

In our book, it says $151 for the level 1 tile in the main (upstairs) bathroom.

We have a Hillcrest model on a 34' lot; and I think the pricing is specific to model, but this should give you an idea anyhow.

Old 2008-04-30, 06:20 PM
Regular User

Default Mattamy design Centre in oakville

Hey guys and gals! i went by the Mattamy Head office in Oakville and they in fact have a big design centre that is open to the public. It is open to anyone on Saturdays and Sundays only from 10-6. It is located at 2360 Bristol Circle! It is a large green building with Mattamy on it! The design centre is on the rear south side of the building! Pretty nice inside and has more ideas and things to look at such as fireplace mantels and alot more!
Marsha and myself are definately gonna check it out on Saturday morning!
Old 2008-05-01, 08:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymaeby View Post
Thanks for the info - that's definitely do-able!

ETA: Now that we know that, I'm tempted to ask...how much for a granite countertop in the main bath?

TIA for your help!
Granite in the main bath would be $603 for Group A, $664 for Group B, and $695 for Group C. The optional edge detail (step ogee, waterfall ogee, and roman ogee) is an additional $35 regardless of the group you choose.

Old 2008-08-05, 09:47 AM

Default lights in Thompson model home

Hi, my husband and I have actually bought a Mattamy home in Ottawa that is basically the same as the Thompson in Mill Pond. We really love the chandelier and pendents in the model home, and I was wondering if anyone knew which brand they were? We've tried to find them on the internet, we've found similar, but not the same. If anyone could help that would be great!!